Trying out new things....

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited October 12, 2006 in People
I'm trying to push myself lately to take photos in low light, in odd locations with strange light and with different lenses. These are some of my girls (I hope you aren't sick of them yet!)... I'd LOVE to get some serious CC on these to see if I'm getting what I should be!

Eleanor
Taking photos in a location I'd been wanting to shoot, but with unfamiliar light.

I clipped her toes.. *doh!* Hope it didn't hurt her too much. ;)
98738131-M.jpg

Does this color work for you?
98737829-M.jpg
Exif for both: Aperture: f/4.0 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 40mm Exposure Time: 0.0013s (1/750)

Samantha
Low light situation at a slower shutter speed.

101939124-M.jpg

Hmmm, is this too flat for you? Do I need more contrast?
101939250-M.jpg
exif for both: Aperture: f/2.5 ISO: 400 Focal Length: 50mm Exposure Time: 0.0111s (1/90)

Any CC is most welcome!

Thanks for peeking!

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 12, 2006
    All 4 are fantastic. The B&W shots are very nice. The color of that door and it's texture work equally well in color. I think ya did real good. Crestted Butte right? Spent a wee bit of time in Gunni when my brother was at Wasted State and I was at FLC in Durango (best 7 years of my life :D). Nice place ya got there.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    If you want SERIOUS C&C then pick your Best (upto this point) and upload to the WHIPPING POST.....that is where the best c&c is at.....
    Most of the time in these threads you get a lot of awwwe that cute...or really nice or way cool, etc....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    I'm trying to push myself lately to take photos in low light, in odd locations with strange light and with different lenses. These are some of my girls (I hope you aren't sick of them yet!)... I'd LOVE to get some serious CC on these to see if I'm getting what I should be!

Eleanor
    Taking photos in a location I'd been wanting to shoot, but with unfamiliar light.

I clipped her toes.. *doh!* Hope it didn't hurt her too much. ;)
    98738131-M.jpg

Okay...as you stated...clipped toes, I like her expression and I think the b/w conversion was done quite well

Does this color work for you?
    98737829-M.jpg
    Exif for both: Aperture: f/4.0 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 40mm Exposure Time: 0.0013s (1/750)

This pic i really great in the fact that it is un-ordinary....I have shot portraits this way (sort of )....what I don't like is the uncomfortable feeling of being twisted...personally if she had been standing looking at the wall, I would have like it much better or sitting on the grass...but either way looking directly at it....I do like the contrast of the peeling paint to the grey part of the wall....it you go there again you might also try having her stand looking directly at it with flower in hand but just pointing down ...naturally...

Samantha
    Low light situation at a slower shutter speed.

101939124-M.jpg

Hmmm, is this too flat for you? Do I need more contrast?
    101939250-M.jpg
    exif for both: Aperture: f/2.5 ISO: 400 Focal Length: 50mm Exposure Time: 0.0111s (1/90)

I really have no comments on these last 2 other than I like them......,,,,okay I lied :D ...I just looked at the info.....if you can shoot at 1/90 at 400 iso then you should be able to shoot around 1/30 at iso 100 and using a fast 50mm lens you have no weight to support...so try shooting at lower iso...unless you are doing a b/w conversion and want the grainy effect...then shoot high iso (1600 - 3200)....however with pic this size the iso doesn't matter...they are nice and crisp....YOU HAVE DONE A VERY GOOD JOB....thumb.gif

Personally I am a low iso fanatic...so i have tri or mono pod with me at almost all times......

Any CC is most welcome!

Thanks for peeking!

Nice pics and as you can see my C/C is in yellow above.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    #2 & #3 do it for me
    Great colors on #2. Personally (and that's just me) I would have liked the little girl's face somewhere...i.e, up, down, sideways....not the back of her head (again, just me..Laughing.gif). I love the blue eyes on #3 and the DOF. Very nice shots (all are). It's really fun to see other's artistic eye...gives us all new food for thought and developing our eye. Thanks for sharing!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    truth wrote:
    All 4 are fantastic. The B&W shots are very nice. The color of that door and it's texture work equally well in color. I think ya did real good. Crestted Butte right? Spent a wee bit of time in Gunni when my brother was at Wasted State and I was at FLC in Durango (best 7 years of my life :D). Nice place ya got there.

What?!?! You mean it took me less time that someone else to graduate?!? (I completed my 4 year plan in 6 years! rolleyes1.gif )

Yeah, it's pretty amazing up there. Gunni is great, but CB is even better! Laughing.gif! (Only 'cuz of the skiing and the snow and the views and... and....)

Thanks so much for your nice words! I really appreciate it :D
    edited October 12, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    If you want SERIOUS C&C then pick your Best (upto this point) and upload to the WHIPPING POST.....that is where the best c&c is at.....
    Most of the time in these threads you get a lot of awwwe that cute...or really nice or way cool, etc....
    *smacks head* Ugh! I know that... Doh! Although I was thinking people would give some CC (like you did). I'll remember to just expect none or minor CC from now on! Thanks for the reminder! :D
    edited October 12, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Nice pics and as you can see my C/C is in yellow above.

I was SO annoyed when I noticed the toes clipped when I glanced at that back. GRRR!

As for the second image, here is one from the front, but I don't like the color as much (playing around again!). It's a bit more blown (although not actually blown) than I'd like.
    98737962-M.jpg

As for the B&Ws and the low shutter speed... Honestly, with Sammie, I can't go much lower than 1/90. I've tried and it's just a study in blur! Laughing.gif! She's just too fast. (I've taken clear images of waterfalls at 1/4 handheld when propped correctly.) As it was, about 50-60% of the photos from this "shoot" were a bit blurred. I could have stopped open my aperature, but then I run into a too shallow DOF. (I've finally gotten past that problem! Laughing.gif! Major issue for me for a while.) Even though she looks pretty still in these photos, I still couldn't have gone too much lower in speed....

Thank you SO much for your feedback! I'll definitely be keeping it in the back of my mind when taking more photos!
    edited October 12, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    Great colors on #2. Personally (and that's just me) I would have liked the little girl's face somewhere...i.e, up, down, sideways....not the back of her head (again, just me..Laughing.gif). I love the blue eyes on #3 and the DOF. Very nice shots (all are). It's really fun to see other's artistic eye...gives us all new food for thought and developing our eye. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Swartzy! I'm glad to hear the colors work for you... I was afraid it was too dark. (It's a bit darker than it is in real life.) I did post another shot with the colors of the building more true and Ellie facing forward, but I'm not as happy with the color on it. (I may go back and fix it, though.)

I'm glad the DOF was good. It's been a sticking point for me and I think I finally got past it!

Thanks so much for your feedback! It helps a lot!
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    I really like the last two.
    edited October 12, 2006
    DavidS wrote:
    I really like the last two.

Thanks so much! And thanks for looking...