Print your own films

judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited October 16, 2006 in People
Hi, as I wrote a couple days ago in Field & Street, I switched to film photography and setup a dark room. Last night I finally printed my first photo and would like to share it with you Dgrin friends. It was done by luck (literally), tonight I'll have much more time to try the whole process out.

C&C always welcome.... :D

Cheers.

PS: it was scanned with a supercrappy Canon Lidesomething @ 300dpi. I'm snotty enought to say that it doesn't do justice to the real print.

101951771-L.jpg
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 12, 2006
    Wow. I could never get my film prints to look that good in college. Nice work.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Gorgeous! Even your crappy scan makes it look great!
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Wow. I could never get my film prints to look that good in college. Nice work.
    Thanks Truth, but I'm satisfied just beacuse it's my first print. I put the paper on the enlarger base, closed the lens to F8 and decided for 20sec. That is it. A lot of details in the shadow aren't there and the white jacket looks a little bit greish so there's some editing to be done here. The negative looks better and more detailed. Last night I printed some more photos and a couple of them are much nicer (IMHO) than this. Will post them later today.
    Thanks for your comment. :D

edited October 13, 2006
    Gorgeous! Even your crappy scan makes it look great!
    Thanks Andi, I'm looking around for a better scanner and I was so much happier yesterday when I discovered that a decent flatbed costs a lot less than a specific scanner for negatives. I'm having a lot of problems scanning with this small Canon. First of all it doesn't go 24x30 (it's an A4 format) and the balance is quite off. Is there a way to calibrate the scanner like you do with monitors and printers?
    Thanks for your comment. :D

edited October 13, 2006
    Ok, here's a couple more scans. These are a bit better in my opinion, the white jacket is getting whiter (but not exactly white as I'd like it) and there are more details in the shadow.
    Comments are super welcome! :D

102160626-L.jpg

102160627-L.jpg

edited October 13, 2006
    These are the last two I printed today during lunch break (don't need no food....:D).
    Comments. Yeah.

102186529-L.jpg

102187829-L.jpg

• AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Hi ! switching from digital toward film ? That's the very first time I hear that :D

But that's a very very good point for you, I already like you.

You did manage to get great shot. I read your discontent, too, and I would invite you to use a higher "grade" (I hope that's the good word in english).

Have the print a little less exposed, too.

In fact… do you use "grade" ?

I remember not knowing what it was when I've printed my very first pictures :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited October 13, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    Hi ! switching from digital toward film ? That's the very first time I hear that :D

But that's a very very good point for you, I already like you.

You did manage to get great shot. I read your discontent, too, and I would invite you to use a higher "grade" (I hope that's the good word in english).

Have the print a little less exposed, too.

In fact… do you use "grade" ?

I remember not knowing what it was when I've printed my very first pictures :D

Hi Antoine (my father has the same name as yours),
    I switched to film because I'm no pro photograper and I like the whole concept. As I wrote somewhere here on DGrin, I'm on PC all day long and I was getting very bored with editing images on the monitor. I understood that I was losing some interest in photograph because of this and lucky enough my mother in law gifted me with a film camera. I'm no advocate for film vs- digital. It's just that I enjoy it a lot more now. :D
    Yes I'm using multigrade paper. Tetenal TT Vario Comfort. I do have a set of multigrade filters from Ilford (thanks to a friend of mine) but I'm tryin' to get the best out of my prints with a "flat" exposure. No dodgin' or burning, no grade filter. After I'll have all the skill in place I'll get more technical.
    Thanks for your input. Very much appreciated. thumb.gif

edited October 13, 2006
    judah wrote:
    I do have a set of multigrade filters from Ilford (thanks to a friend of mine) but I'm tryin' to get the best out of my prints with a "flat" exposure. No dodgin' or burning, no grade filter

The HCB style ? :-)

Well, you do need a filter, even to get a "flat / standard" print. Just use the zero grade, that's all. thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited October 13, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    The HCB style ? :-)

Well, you do need a filter, even to get a "flat / standard" print. Just use the zero grade, that's all. thumb.gif

HCB = Henry Cartier Bresson ? Don't know, I've seen only a couple photos from him and they look very spontaneous. I don't know square s**t about photographers. :D
    Anyway, with multigrade paper if you don't use a filter the paper is 2.5 in grade, just the perfect grade for 99% of photos (if shot and developed correctly). Am I wrong? headscratch.gif

edited October 13, 2006
    judah wrote:
    HCB = Henry Cartier Bresson ? Don't know, I've seen only a couple photos from him and they look very spontaneous.

That's him, yeah. But I was talking about his prints: always "flat". I mean: no dramatization through grade or so.
    judah wrote:
    Anyway, with multigrade paper if you don't use a filter the paper is 2.5 in grade, just the perfect grade for 99% of photos (if shot and developed correctly). Am I wrong? headscratch.gif

Well, I never thought of it this way, but I do think you're more wrong than right :D

In fact, just try it yourself : do a print with "open light" and do one with the 2,5 grade. I don't think you'll get the same result…

This is why your shadows are this deap. Use a "1" or "0" grade, instead. You'll definitely see the difference ;)thumb.gif
    edited October 14, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    That's him, yeah. But I was talking about his prints: always "flat". I mean: no dramatization through grade or so.

Well, I never thought of it this way, but I do think you're more wrong than right :D

In fact, just try it yourself : do a print with "open light" and do one with the 2,5 grade. I don't think you'll get the same result…

This is why your shadows are this deap. Use a "1" or "0" grade, instead. You'll definitely see the difference ;)thumb.gif

Hi Antoine,
    I'll definetely give it a try but I've been told from Tetenal (and read the same on the Ilford website) that multigrade paper without filters is equal to 2.5 fixed grade paper. I'll try anyway because I'm curios. :D

edited October 14, 2006
    …really ?

Aren't you speaking about single grade paper?
    Do you have any link ? I'd be interested, for I'm no 'master' about darkroom ;)
    edited October 15, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    …really ?

Aren't you speaking about single grade paper?
    Do you have any link ? I'd be interested, for I'm no 'master' about darkroom ;)

Hi Antoine,
    I'm now 99% positive on what I said earlier in this thread. Multigrade paper is a fixed 2.5 grade if used without filters. Please take a look here:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=27

You'll find tons of infos about developing and printing B/W. Anyway, as promised last night I tried a test with (2.5 grade filter) and without and the print was 99% identical. I suspect that the super tiny difference was because of the absorbing light factor of the filter. Ilford says that from grade 0 to grade 3.5 you don't have to change your exposure time but maybe 1 or 2 seconds won't hurt. From 3.5 to 5 grade you need to double your exposure because of the light absorbing factor.

edited October 15, 2006
    really?

Well, I haven't see anything about that.

Would quote what you find? I'm very curious. :)
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Do you own a grain focuser? From about $15 to $500 but you must get one.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
    edited October 16, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:
    Do you own a grain focuser? From about $15 to $500 but you must get one.

Hi Bobwick,
    thanks for your suggestion. I know I'll have to buy one eventually but don't have the money right now! :D

edited October 16, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    really?

Well, I haven't see anything about that.

Would quote what you find? I'm very curious. :)

Hi Antoine,
    will quote somethigìng later today. Lats night has been another great night in the darkroom! :D

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 16, 2006
    Ah the days with chemicals in the darkroom :D

Nice work. Did you shoot these as well? I like the compo where you're
    looking down on your subject.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    switching to a cold tone paper might help as well.....I would visit the local library and study printing papers....you get much better prints from single grade paper.....it kinda like the guys that toosed all their 100 fuji chrome and bought into the fact that fuji had a Multi ISO film..rated 100 - 1600...however it had to be shot at one iso thru the whole roll.....Multi grade papers just aren't as good as single grade......

If you can find an outlet for it....ilford use to make a packet of paper of various grade for the experimenter.....and in my 'umble opinon....there is no b/w paper like Illford...same for the film....love illford to death....

Good luck with the film printing and keep the lid on the acetic acid TIGHT......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 16, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    If you can find an outlet for it....ilford use to make a packet of paper of various grade for the experimenter.....and in my 'umble opinon....there is no b/w paper like Illford...same for the film....love illford to death....

Ilford often seems very "simple" yet they does such a great work :up:
    edited October 16, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Ah the days with chemicals in the darkroom :D

Nice work. Did you shoot these as well? I like the compo where you're
    looking down on your subject.

Hi Ian408,
    yes I shot and developed them. Thanks for your comment. The one looking down was an attempt at replicating The Who's first record cover. :D

edited October 16, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    switching to a cold toe paper might help as well.....I would visit the local library and study printing papers....you get much better prints from single grade paper.....it kinda like the guys that toosed all their 100 fuji chrome and bought into the fact that fuji had a Multi ISO film..rated 100 - 1600...however it had to be shot at one iso thru the whole roll.....Multi grade papers just aren't as good as single grade......

Good luck with the film printing and keep the lid on the acetic acid TIGHT......

Hi Scott,
    thanks a million for your suggestion. I'm using Tetenal papers & chemicals right now 'cause they are a tad bit cheaper than Ilford (at least here in Italy) and much easier to find. I looked around for fixed grade paper but couldn't find it hence the reason why I started off with multigrade.
    BTW, I'm not using acetic acid at all! :D Plain water for stop bath! :D

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    with the multi grade papers you wil need those filters to get the contrast where you want and need it....I never found a way to get black blacks and whte whies with out the filters on Multi-grade....

did n't know you were in Italy...what part...just curious as I am trying to get moved to the Czech Republic by this next years end at the very latest.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 16, 2006
    judah wrote:
    The one looking down was an attempt at replicating The Who's first record cover. :D

Well, yours is better. Just sayin'
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 16, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    with the multi grade papers you wil need those filters to get the contrast where you want and need it....I never found a way to get black blacks and whte whies with out the filters on Multi-grade....

did n't know you were in Italy...what part...just curious as I am trying to get moved to the Czech Republic by this next years end at the very latest.

Well of all the prints I made so far there's only one I'm 100% satisfied with (Chair, in Field & Street). All the others need some contrast work IMO but as I explained in some other thread I started this adventure in film photography only 1 week ago so I'm in full practice mode. :D
    I'm in the north of Italy, not far from Milan (awful city BTW), about a 100km north-east. I live in one of the Prealps valleys. Not very near to Czech Republic! :D

edited October 16, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Well, yours is better. Just sayin'

Now way Ian! :D Don't you dare say so or I might get bighead! :D Anyway the guys are really happy with the whole session. It was my first time doin' a "serious and planned" session and it turned out a lot of fun. What a pain in the back to bring the damn leather seat out there! :davidto