Juan Mann - Free Hugs

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited October 12, 2006 in People
Juan-Mann-Free-Hugs-IMG_7668.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=91284cc8504a10d362cd1e5c901ec6c2
Today I’ve come across Juan Mann again. The man whose fame on YouTube is ever growing for giving out free hugs. Judging from the reaction of the girls in the photographs the hugs work very well.

Juan, it was nice to meet you and thanks for the hug! By the way if you follow the link to Juan’s YouTube video you will be treated to a fantastic music by Sick Puppies. Juan stars in their music video.

As always click on the image or the link to see a larger photograph.

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Ted,

As a new member to Dgrin, I'm enjoying your work. I recently spent some time in Sydney and deeply regret not having encountered Juan Mann. The video you linked in your post is oddly touching. . . . Reminscent of the smily face or the "practice random acts of kindness" campaign. How powerful so simple a gesture as a hug can be. Pretty cool.

I think your photo really says it all.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 12, 2006
    That's funny, when we debuted our clothing line at lasst years Sundance Film Festival we gave out coupon for a "Free hug froma total stranger". Made for some funny interactions and a generally upbeat energy toward our antics. It's funny to watch people struggle through their imaginary personal space boudary to accpet something as innocuous aas a hug. It's sad that the normal state of mind is to be so suspicious. Sign of the times I guess.

In your photo I see that barrier being broken down in the girls facial expressions and body language. It's fear hiding behind a smile as she begins to allow him into her persoonal space. It's a bit of emabarassment at the public display which is so antithetical to what is percieved to be normal.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Very funny
    I really liked the "running dive hugs" very cool
    And good music too

Fred
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    That's hilarious! I hadn't heard of him... (Yes, I'm locked in a cave most of the time.) Great shot - you captured the lady's face well!