How to search for keywords in non-visible galleries?

Paul (France)Paul (France) Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited October 16, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Dear Smugmuggers, I have this problem. My (professional) site is entered in two ways. One is by clients, mostly magazine editors, that like to see features. Therefore every gallery should show only the best shots and nothing else.

Other clients look for individual pictures. I have nicely sorted that out for them and they enter my Smugmug site from my subject lists that link to keywords.

These two kinds of clients have different objectives.

Now imagine this. Let's say I go to the Canary Island of Lanzarote and come back with my shoot. On that island are modern windmills. For my feature (for the magazine) I only want to show the kind-of-creative shots I took of the windmills (like this one). However, I took some as well that were rather straightforward (like this one). And there exist clients who simply search for straightforward pictures of windmills.

So I want to have the creative, great shots in my public gallery and I don't want to add water to the wine by adding the straightforward, plain pictures.

But for the client who is searching "windmills" with help of my keywords I wish the straightforward pictures will pop up to his screen as well as the great ones (since I gave them all that keyword).

So in fact I need a seperate and invisible gallery for all the straightforward photos who have value only for clients who are directly searching for their keywords.

But if I create a non-public (private) gallery, search doesn't function, which is of course good for a gallery called private.

So who can give me the inbetween solution: how and where to store pictures that should show up ONLY if their keywords are searched, but that stay invisible any other way?

Thanks, Paul.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Hi Paul, you can leave the galleries Public, but not display them on your homepage, will that work?

For example, I have pubilc galleries, but they don't display on my homepage on www.moonriverphotography.com
  • Paul (France)Paul (France) Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    How?
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Paul, you can leave the galleries Public, but not display them on your homepage, will that work?

For example, I have pubilc galleries, but they don't display on my homepage on www.moonriverphotography.com

Hi Andy, I guess that will work and might be the solution. How can I not-display a gallery or a group of galleries on the homepage?
    Thanks again, Paul.
    edited October 12, 2006
    Hi Andy, I guess that will work and might be the solution. How can I not-display a gallery or a group of galleries on the homepage?
    Thanks again, Paul.

In your CSS:

#galleriesBox {display: none;}
    .loggedIn #galleriesBox {display: block;}

or another way, if you have 4 or fewer of such galleries, is to "feature the galleries" and then use

#featuredBox {display: none;}
    .loggedIn #featuredBox {display: block;}
    edited October 12, 2006
    Don't get it
    Andy wrote:
    In your CSS:

#galleriesBox {display: none;}
    .loggedIn #galleriesBox {display: block;}

or another way, if you have 4 or fewer of such galleries, is to "feature the galleries" and then use

#featuredBox {display: none;}
    .loggedIn #featuredBox {display: block;}

Sorry Andy, I don't get it. I have zero knowledge about CSS. I have put the first code in the CSS-part of customisation. Nothing happens.

I do want to show three groups (categories) of galleries (Features, Publications and Portfolios). How can I hide the fourth (which I called "not shown"). It's in that group I want to put the galleries I don't want to show up on my home page. Here is my home page: http://paulsmit.smugmug.com .

Please take me by the hand. Thanks, Paul.
    edited October 12, 2006
    Sorry Andy, I don't get it. I have zero knowledge about CSS. I have put the first code in the CSS-part of customisation. Nothing happens.

I do want to show three groups (categories) of galleries (Features, Publications and Portfolios). How can I hide the fourth (which I called "not shown"). It's in that group I want to put the galleries I don't want to show up on my home page. Here is my home page: http://paulsmit.smugmug.com .

Please take me by the hand. Thanks, Paul.
    Hi Paul - standby I'll work on your site for a few minutes.
    edited October 12, 2006
    OK Paul,

Sorry - what I originally though do-able is not. BUT you can accomplish it in a different way, if you wish:

Along the lines of my site www.moonriverphotography.com I have many public galleries, but they do not show at all on the homepage. I have navigation links to my gallery pages.

If you wish to do something like this, holler and we can get you started :D
    edited October 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    OK Paul,

Sorry - what I originally though do-able is not. BUT you can accomplish it in a different way, if you wish:

Along the lines of my site www.moonriverphotography.com I have many public galleries, but they do not show at all on the homepage. I have navigation links to my gallery pages.

If you wish to do something like this, holler and we can get you started :D

Hi Andy, thanks for trying anyway. My homepage should have these three categories (I don't want an 'entrance page', because it creates an extra step for a visitor. Also because the internal navigation in my Smugmug site is always pointing back to the beginning (Smit & Palarczyk), so people can easily return to the features, publications and portfolios).

It would be fine for that non-visible category/gallery to simply not show up on my home page. It may be public, but simply not show there. There shouldn't be a way for visitors to stumble on that category/gallery/group of galleries. But they may be public, no problem. And Google may find the captions in it, no problem.

If you have any ideas left, they're welcome.
    ---
    Another small question is: how can I change the word "style" in "lay-out" and how can I change the style "Smugmug" in "Elegant". My clients don't understand "Smugmug" since my site is customized. I keep questioning my clients about my website and I keep hearing they don't use the style button because they don't understand it when they see it.

Thanks again, bye, Paul
    edited October 12, 2006

If you have any ideas left, they're welcome.

I don't, I'm afraid.
    ---
    Another small question is: how can I change the word "style" in "lay-out" and how can I change the style "Smugmug" in "Elegant". My clients don't understand "Smugmug" since my site is customized. I keep questioning my clients about my website and I keep hearing they don't use the style button because they don't understand it when they see it.

Thanks again, bye, Paul
    put up a post in the hacks forum, one of the Javascripter may have a solution for that :D
    edited October 12, 2006
    Shall I put the invisible-but-public-gallery question in the Smugmug Feature Request sticky thread?

I could imagine more pros want to give keywords to photos they don't want to include in certain galleries. F.i. pictures a magazine editor don't need to see (like plain shots of geological details of a landscape) are interesting for a geologist (searching for that keyword). It is a problem that keeps coming back when you have different kind of clients.
    edited October 12, 2006
    Shall I put the invisible-but-public-gallery question in the Smugmug Feature Request sticky thread?
    Well, we really have it now, via CSS we can make the galleriesbox not appear - and then use navigation links.. but you don't want to do that, so I'm sort of at a loss ...
    edited October 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Well, we really have it now, via CSS we can make the galleriesbox not appear - and then use navigation links.. but you don't want to do that, so I'm sort of at a loss ...

Hi Andy, I'm back from a short trip, that's why I didn't reply earlier. The point with the navigation links is that my site already has a whole bunch of navigation links. You can see them in blue at the top of http://paulsmit.smugmug.com/. And please click on HOME and you can see that already my home page is not the starting page of my Smugmug site. And that the real home page looks a bit like your description already: it offers navigation.

So although I understand your point about making a Smugmug home page without galleries - which would work if the Smugmug home page was THE home page of my site - since it is not and since there is already navigation on top of all my Smugmug pages I don't see how your suggestion could work for me. But it could be well possible that I simply don't see your suggestion 'translated' to my situation. Maybe you can point out a direction how to implement your idea yet not turn my whole site (which is much bigger then the Smugmug part alone and which has the navigation links everywhere) upside down. Thanks again and greetings! Paul