Cool or Crap?

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited October 13, 2006 in Sports
Here are a couple of recent images from High School football games, are they keepers, or are they destined for the recycle bin?

98368154-M.jpg

102070078-M.jpg

Thanks!
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 12, 2006
    If these are un-cropped, then my vote would be almost cool ne_nau.gif

In the first one, my eyes are looking for the rest of his arm and the water bottle. If you cropped any off the right-side, put it back...Laughing.gif I like the flying drops of water and the idea behind this shot clap.gif

The second one is similar. Needs more headroom on top. Plus, to me the 2 lifted cheerleaders are the pic. Closer to center frame, or one on each side. And no other distractions in the frame. Like the people on the left in your shot. Love the silhouettes, similar poses, and colorful sky thumb.gifthumb.gif
    This one could have been really good. Lots of good ingredients. :D

If these are exactly how you framed them, then I'd say close. But no cigar. Not trash, just not "hey, that's kewl. I want to buy a print"

Just my opinion,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    I like them both but agree with Steve. They both are something I wouldn't
    think to shoot. Wish I could think think about stuff like this when I'm at the
    game....

Rod

• PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Thanks for the honest critique Steve. I did crop the first, but only on top and a little on the bottom. I shot this in portrait orientation, and it was a spur of the moment shot for sure.

As for the cheerleader shot, same thing just a top and bottom crop to fit a 5x7. I played around with it in PS quite a bit, in my original I exposed for the cheerleaders. Amazing what a little work in curves can do....

Captn14, thanks! I shoot the sidelines towards the end of the game, just for stuff like this!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    I love the water picture nice timing. Would have been better with the player facing you but from behind gives the shot a kind of 'any kid' anonymous vibe. I like the concept behind the cheerleader photo but the crop is to tight for me as well as their being too many things in the photo. Perhaps would work with a diff crop? Sihlouettes are tough, gotta keep them simple.

Thanks for posting, a nice break from action shots :)
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com