Options

People's monitors suck!

StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
edited November 1, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've been uploading the full size photos. I want people to be able to order the largest prints they can :D Right now I have one wanting a 24x36.

Tonight I went to a neighbors house to show them football pictures of their grandson and show them how to order. They looked awful!!! (the pictures, not the neighbors) These are crisp sharp clear pictures on my monitor on SM or any place else. Every print I've ordered has been crisp clear and sharp unless it was something stupid I did taking the picture.

Should I worry about this? How could I upload to make images look good on "most" computers? I don't want to spend my time replacing images when someone orders, unless it's a touch up or special request. I'm just not that organized yet.
Dana
** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
no birds sang there except those that sang best.
~Henry Van Dyke

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 12, 2006
    I've been uploading the full size photos. I want people to be able to order the largest prints they can :D Right now I have one wanting a 24x36.

Tonight I went to a neighbors house to show them football pictures of their grandson and show them how to order. They looked awful!!! (the pictures, not the neighbors) These are crisp sharp clear pictures on my monitor on SM or any place else. Every print I've ordered has been crisp clear and sharp unless it was something stupid I did taking the picture.

Should I worry about this? How could I upload to make images look good on "most" computers? I don't want to spend my time replacing images when someone orders, unless it's a touch up or special request. I'm just not that organized yet.

Dana,
    This is a rathole you should avoid. If you try to post process for that "middle-ground" you will be doing your customer's a dis-service, IMHO. No matter how they look on a customer's monitor, the prints will be as they should be. I realize that there is always the possiblity that if a potential customer's monitor is too far off. They may not be as impressed and may not purchase your pics. To me, that's a trade off I am willing to make to ensure that people that order prints from me get the best product ne_nau.gif Plus, you really can't control how calibrated other people's monitors are.

A bigger problem, again IMHO, is Pros posting images that are not post processed correctly. This leads to lots of customer print problems.eek7.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006

Should I worry about this?

Some folks put notices on their websites, in a nice way, telling them that their monitors might suck, but your pics don't :D

Some use a graduated grey scale graphic:

50887315-L.jpg

Just hope they don't use AOL, or some accelerator program:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality

It's a problem we just have to accept, Dana - I'm interested in others' thoughts on this issue, too ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Some folks put notices on their websites, in a nice way, telling them that their monitors might suck, but your pics don't :D

Some use a graduated grey scale graphic:

50887315-L.jpg

Just hope they don't use AOL, or some accelerator program:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality

It's a problem we just have to accept, Dana - I'm interested in others' thoughts on this issue, too ear.gif
    Well this was not an issue of colors being off. This was huge pixelly blotches. For example this picture at full size you can clearly see his face and would be great on a large print. On their monitor you can't even make out the face grid on the helmet.

102086942-L.jpg
    I just wanted to check that I was not doing something wrong in uploading full size images and then expecting people to be able to view them clearly.
    Most everything I've read says to upload the full size to get the best printing options, so that is what I've been doing. Guess I just have to accept that some people's monitor just suck. BADLYeek7.gif
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    This was huge pixelly blotches.
    So yeah, read that link I included above ...
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2006
    I read the link you supplied Andy and thank you.

They most likely have something like 8 bit set, but I'm sure not going to go messing around with their computer. They gotta have that to play Deal No Deal on.rolleyes1.gif

I did have a football photo collage that I did to show them an actual 11x14 quality print. So I think they will still order.

I just want to make sure I'm doing on my end what I need to do so that the majority of people can see the pics clearly.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I'm 32 and I just bought a new pair of glasses and wow, a lot of things look more colorful and crisp than I thought they were... including my pictures... Tell 'em get their eyes checked. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Playing DOND

They most likely have something like 8 bit set, but I'm sure not going to go messing around with their computer. They gotta have that to play Deal No Deal on.rolleyes1.gif

Oh my gosh, this is SO funny!!!! Hey, at least they can play -- because I use a Mac I can't play Deal or No Deal on my computer!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    Oh my gosh, this is SO funny!!!! Hey, at least they can play -- because I use a Mac I can't play Deal or No Deal on my computer!

Everytime I have gone over to this neighbors house (older couple) they are always playing.

On a side note, went to another neighbors house last night and wanted to show them my SM galleries. Their computer sucked too and wouldn't display pictures...... an old laptop. I guess I'm just so spoiled by having a good computer and trying to stay up to date with mine, I don't realize what other people (non photog/graphics) people are used to using.

Right now I'm wanting a new one - bigger, faster, better, but mine looks like a deamon compared to the neighbor's. HAHA at least they are not computerit enough to realize that I'm the one that is sucking up all our cornfield bandwidth. rolleyes1.gif
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke