All I Want for Christmas. . . ?

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited October 13, 2006 in Cameras
My dear wife is going to buy me a lens for Christmas. I need some help deciding which one.

First, the background: I have a Rebel XT with two lenses: EF-S 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS and an EF 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS

As you see, I've got the range covered, but I'm missing speed and close-up capability. I would like to have a versatile lens that will provide good portraits.

Given that I have a 1.6x camera, do I want:

• EF 60mm f/2.8 macro (functions about 100mm)
• EF 85mm f1.8 (functions about 135mm)
• EF 100mm f/2.8 macro (functions at 160mm)

So which one and why? Your advice is much appreciated.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    We've talked a bit about this before, but I think the most important thing is what you want to shoot. For example, I agree that low-light capability is serriously missing, but if you want to shoot indoor candid shots/portraits with available light, the lenses you listed will be too long. As I told you, I have a 35mm F2 (works like a 50mm) and it's perfect for that:
    47512964-S.jpg
    The 50mm 1.8 is also very cheap and will probably allow you enough room to work in most indoor settings. On the other hand, if you want to shoot live music, other performances or indoor sports, the 85mm is the way to go. I used the canon 85mm on a Rebel when I was in college and it was sexy:
    45831965-S.jpg
    I've also heard that with the macros, a 60mm doesn't give you much working room at all, which can be a problem for live subjects. If you're working only with stationary stuff, I imagine it's not much of a problem. This is just what I've heard. I just ordered my first true macro (Sigma 105 2.8) and I'll let you know how it works out once I've played with it some.

In my lens research I've found that the Flickr galleries are a good resource 'cuz you can type in the lens and get every photo that was tagged with it. It's a good way to see a lens's general capabilities and what 'normal' non-pro photographers can do with it.

You're a lucky man. My girl's a starving student this year so I think I'm getting a smile and a handshake. Still, she bought me a powerbook last year so I have NOTHING to complain about. thumb.gif
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Can't beat the lens above abt $80 great lens.

Not on your list but how about Canon 10-22 lens?
    Very fun lens never get tired of it.
    60347724-L.jpg

Fred
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Will you use your new faster lens on far subjects? Because if you do, then the 85mm 1.8 would be a good buy. However, if you dont think you will, why not get the 50mm 1.4? The 50mm 1.8 is great too, but if your wife is spending more then 250$ then you might as well get the 1.4 USM version, I'm sure you'll love it.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Go for a 50mm. I swear, once I got one of these things, it was so hard to pry it off of my camera. And both the Nikon and Canon version of the 1.4 is so sharp you can easily crop and get very good results.

My favorite use for this lens is no-look candids. People know you're taking their picture when they see you put the thing to your eye, but if you can learn to aim it from the hip (or wherever), they will be more unawares.

Check out these for some examples:
    http://www.pbase.com/mmr/joes_29th_birthday
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    mmroden wrote:
    Go for a 50mm. I swear, once I got one of these things, it was so hard to pry it off of my camera. And both the Nikon and Canon version of the 1.4 is so sharp you can easily crop and get very good results.

Check out these for some examples:
    http://www.pbase.com/mmr/joes_29th_birthday
    Thanks everyone for some suggestions. Thanks, mm, for the sample shots. Looks like a fun party.

I hadn't considered a 50mm f/1.4, but you've got me thinking. . . .
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Here, I'll make it harder for you.

Here's some shots with a 60mm 2.8 macro, for closeups and walkaround:
    http://www.pbase.com/mmr/a_day_in_the_life

and portraits:
    http://www.pbase.com/mmr/image/44121397

Don't get me wrong, they're two very different lenses, at least for me. The 50mm is the party lens, the hanging out lens, the getting-people-when-they-aren't-looking lens. The 60mm is for just after it rains, or you're feeling like challenging yourself (the focus, at least for the Nikon version, is not AF-S, their version of USM, and macro focusing is really best done handheld).

The 50mm has made me popular with my wife's friends and family, because they love having their parties documented so nicely, so that could certainly be a selling point for the future, if you go with the 60mm now.