B&W Portrait for Comments

Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
edited October 16, 2006 in People
Would like some feedback on conversion and PP - Thanks!

102157176-O.jpg
Thanks!
Jeff

flickr

Comments

• StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Just a quick one to start you off, composition works expression is interesting but im really disracted by how soft it seems?
    The nose and hair are so out of focus, the eye are better but maybe next time not sucha shallow depth of field.

I think with a reshoot you could have a really good shot as the idea is sound.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Thank you very much for taking a moment to evaluate it. Some of that may be processing- here is the right out of camera shot for comparison. I was going for a soft look but may have over done it?

102327472-O.jpg
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    With a tight shot like this, I don't think it's necessary to have it so big (unless it's goin on a wall in a big room). The softness mentioned above would be less noticeable at a smaller size, too. Really nice shot, though. Beautiful eyes.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Hmmm yeh the softness is from your post, for me its either too much or not enough softness! It doesnt look enough to be intentional so just looks out of focus.

I think especially as we are so close to the subject go for the BW but lose the extra softness.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 14, 2006
    hi jeff-

are you using photoshop?-

if so, go to greg gorman's website and check out his pdf for bw conversion-

it really works great for bw conversions, particularly for portraits-

once you go thru the conversion, then you can play with blur, sharpen, toning, etc.-

I think this photo has great potential-

great eyes and very cute!-

best
    edited October 14, 2006
    jeff-

worked on the color-

will take down if you don't want this posted-

102433882-L.jpg
    edited October 14, 2006
    also worked on a bw version-

again, if you don't want it up, I'll take it down-

102434115-L.jpg
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Hi Jeff

I like the toning you used for the conversion. I think it works. However, her forehead and the middle of her face are a little bright. You might want to even out her complexion a bit. Also, her pupil and iris are too distinct. If I didn't see the color photo I would have guessed that she has blue eyes. Her eyes are fairly dark so I would use a conversion that would more closely match her iris and pupil.
    It looks like you used the channel mixer method with the green channel boosted. This is fine, because it gives the best skin tone. However, I think Gorman might work better for this photo. Gorman will darken her eyes and deepen the shadows. You'll also want to even out the bright spots on her face. User the levels adjustment to bring down the highlights and boost the midtones.
    Stick with the toning method you used. I think it looks great.

Here are some links:
    Simplified Gorman Method
    Using Levels Adjustment
    edited October 14, 2006
    Thanks George-

I got Photoshop a couple months ago but I am still using Elements more because I just have not spent the time yet to get up to speed on it- this was done with Elements. Thanks for the feedback and your two versions- No problem with the postings- always like seeing a new take on a shot- I like the processing (aside from I would have probably saved the chin) Very nice. I will definately check out the Gorman process.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

edited October 14, 2006
    fillmore to fillmore-

re chin-

hah!-

I cropped that 'cause you cropped the head-
    edited October 14, 2006
    Yeah- I am often guilty of (and regretting) too close of a crop with the camera.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

edited October 14, 2006
    PS- I need to reach out- not re-chin.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

edited October 14, 2006
    Thanks Dan-

I like the tone also- have been adding just a hint to my b&w's lately. Interesting comment on the eyes- her eyes usually look more like Georges version in my conversions and I usually get blasted for it since they look so dark. I guess I need to keep working in it- Good. Again- I will definately check out the Gorman method- thanks for the link.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

edited October 15, 2006
    gdad wrote:
    PS- I need to reach out- not re-chin.

hah!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Here's my take.... if you're going to crop off the top of the head (which I don't mind at all), make it look like it's on purpose - crop it really close to bring out the face. ETA: I just looked at your first post again and realized you DID crop it like I did! Laughing.gif! Sorry....)

As for B&W, I did it with a little warmer tone - slightly sepia. In Elements (or PS), I do it with a Hue/Saturation layer with the hue set to 32 and the saturation set to 9 (clicking the colorize button, of course! Laughing.gif!).

I then did some slight curves. (You can google curves plugins for PSE for 3 or 4, but not version 5 yet. I did this in PSCS2.)

Now to soften, I did a gaussian blur on a new layer that was a copy of the background. In Elements, you'll have to erase to get the underneath layer to show (unless you have PSE3 and download the plugin that does curves/channel mixer and layer masks) - or in PS you can create a mask. But you want to bring back the pieces that should be in focus - eyes, hair (or at least some of it), tip of nose, mouth.... So you get a softer image that doesn't look out of focus. Oh, and then I lower the opacity to about 30% - differs for each image, though. (That's how I do it to soften wrinkles and minor blemishes, too, without changing the character of the photo too much.)

Anyway, hope some of that helps! This is a really precious photo and I just love it! (And like I said, I don't mind the cropped head - I do that a lot on extreme closeups, but maybe I'm just a freak.)

Great job!
    edited October 16, 2006
    Alright- Here is my first go at the Gorman method. I like it a lot.

102975666-L.jpg

One question for you guys have been using this. On the site http://www.blackandwhitedigital.com/Convert/Manual/gorman.html step #9 says 'select a color'- I picked a brown shade and the shot ultimately seems to have that tint- which I like here. If I just wanted a non-tinted b&w should I have just picked black here? Thanks all.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr