Model Car (1/18) via Cheap Light Box

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited October 14, 2006 in Holy Macro
I am working on getting the "10$" light box up and running in my room. Still have to figure lighting out better, get a longer piece of backing paper and get bigger sheets of tracing paper (windows) but I think the first batch came out pretty nice. Oh, you need a pretty big box too as mine is about 12"x12"x12" and it can barely fit the cars width and depth wise. I will probably move to a 2'x2'x2' box or something. No flashes used here, all lighting was done by two desk lamps with ultra-white bulbs.

I think 4-5 are my favorites, love the DOF on the Formula 1 car. All shot with tripod and XTi at ISO200 with the 50 f/1.8 lens.

Here is a link to the light box idea... http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

What do you think?
(I know some of them are dusty, I was lazy and just wanted to test the setup out for now... hehe)

1) Porsche racing GT1
model_cars_005.jpg

2) Ferrari F430
model_cars_002.jpg

3) Ferrari F40
model_cars_001.jpg

4) Ferrari Formula 1 F2005
model_cars_003.jpg

5) Ferrari Formula 1 F2005
model_cars_004.jpg

6) Ferrari Formula 1 F2005
model_cars_006.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 14, 2006
    Nice! Can you give us a little tute on how you're
    making your light box?

Thanks!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice! Can you give us a little tute on how you're
    making your light box?

Thanks!

Sure... I will probably write one up when I get the better version done. It is really simple though.

What you need, a cardboard box (duh!), tracing paper (different colors can be fun!), long white paper (I am currently using a large format drawing pad), and a box cutter.

Taking the box and sitting it on one of its side, so the flaps open up towards you, cut the top and left and right sides (leaving about a 1" edge/matte). This leaves the back and the bottom closed.

Take a long piece of paper, I used white and secure it to the back wall. I used tape but anything works, the higher you tape it the less you will have to work with. I was working with short subjects so I taped it very low.

Let it drape and take a slow curve down to the bottom of the box. Creasing it will create a line in your photograph!! Next is just cover the sides of the box with tracing paper. I have yet to find a large size tracing paper but I am sure it exists. In my photos you can see where light crept in due to the fact that I had to use two sheets per side.

When done you should have 3 windows with tracing paper to cover them and a long sheet of paper draped against the back wall. Now place your lights to point at the tracing paper. This creates a soft shadow and lights the box without allowing for reflection of the actual light.

If anyone knows where we/I can obtain some larger pieces of tracing paper, that would be superb!

Some fellow photographers from another site managed to use a shiny surface to photograph some stuff, thought it was cool but the setup was hard and am not sure what materials he used.
  • MogMog Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Very nice model collection and images. I did the same thing a few weeks back. Certainly around here ( UK ) the local art/craft shops often have tracing paper upto A0 size..

90812381-M-1.jpg

90812326-M-1.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    I am working on getting the "10$" light box up and running in my room. Still have to figure lighting out better, get a longer piece of backing paper and get bigger sheets of tracing paper (windows) but I think the first batch came out pretty nice. Oh, you need a pretty big box too as mine is about 12"x12"x12" and it can barely fit the cars width and depth wise. I will probably move to a 2'x2'x2' box or something. No flashes used here, all lighting was done by two desk lamps with ultra-white bulbs.

I think 4-5 are my favorites, love the DOF on the Formula 1 car. All shot with tripod and XTi at ISO200 with the 50 f/1.8 lens.

Here is a link to the light box idea... http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

What do you think?
    (I know some of them are dusty, I was lazy and just wanted to test the setup out for now... hehe)

1) Porsche racing GT1
    2) Ferrari F430
    3) Ferrari F40
    4) Ferrari Formula 1 F2005
    5) Ferrari Formula 1 F2005
    6) Ferrari Formula 1 F2005

Besides the dust *cough*cough* I see it hehehe rolleyes1.gif they look great I like how you isolated the driver in the last two shots thumb.gif and I see a couple of folks have already replied about the Tracing paper your looking for to help with lighting your Box........ very nice series, I'd like to see what you come up with once you change the box to how you want it.

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    You mention "ultra white bulbs". Is this a specific product, or was that a generic description? And thanks for sharing BTW.

Jamie
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Nice shots !
    And thanks for sharing your technique mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Thanks for the compliments guys!
    JamieC wrote:
    You mention "ultra white bulbs". Is this a specific product, or was that a generic description? And thanks for sharing BTW.

Jamie

The bulbs are GE brand, and they are a bit truer white than normal bulbs. They have a little bluish hint on the bulb itself. Here is the info on them at General Electric. You can get them at any foodstore, staples, etc.