College V-ball (A 20D Died to Get These Shots)

troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited October 16, 2006 in Sports
Actually, my 20D's death was more likely due to shooting 2000+ images a day in 90+ heat at Eventing and Hunter-Jumper shows all summer, but the straw that broke its back was in the middle of game 2 of last nights #15 SPU Falcon vs. #22 CWU Div II Volleyball game. Flashed an error 99 - pulled the batteries, waited, put them back in and the shutter just starts going off (mind you I have not turned it back on yet, just replaced the batteries.) No menu's - not writing to CF card, just randomly firing away. I am sure that I had over 70k actuations on it, not sure if I had topped 100k. Currently the 20D is at Phototronics awaiting a repair estimate. In the meantime - is anyone in the Seattle area looking to get rid of a1D? I do not want to pick up anything less than a pro body going forward and am in no condition to get a 1D2 now.

Oh yeah, pictures:
102312183-M.jpg

102312808-M.jpg

102312975-M.jpg

102313662-M.jpg

102313885-M.jpg

102314373-M.jpg

All images shot with a 20D and a 135 2 L at ISO1600 and have been batch processed and resized for display on the web. Full image gallery here: http://troutstreaming.smugmug.com/gallery/2002019/

Comments, critiques, and a new body welcome.
www.troutstreaming.com
Outdoor and Sports Media

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Those are some great shots. I'm a little confused though. I'm looking at exif data. I'm seeing no flash, f2, iso 1600 and shutter speeds as high as 1/4000. There is either something wrong with my camera (no way I could get that fast a shutter speed in a gym and f2, 1600iso) or this may be a clue to the problems with your camera. Let us know.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    donek wrote:
    Those are some great shots. I'm a little confused though. I'm looking at exif data. I'm seeing no flash, f2, iso 1600 and shutter speeds as high as 1/4000. There is either something wrong with my camera (no way I could get that fast a shutter speed in a gym and f2, 1600iso) or this may be a clue to the problems with your camera. Let us know.

The EXIF is correct - no flash (would get me booted out of the gym in a hurry); AV mode to 2.0; and ISO 1600. This gets me shutter speeds from 1/800 - 1/2000 (and apparently some 1/4000 in the white jerseys.) If I had 1/3 ISO on the 20D I could likely knock it down 1/3 of a stop but ISO 800 slows the shutter down too much on some parts of the court. An Auto ISO setting at 2.0 and 1/1000 would be a great thing to have...

There is at least one gym in the area that has better light - but most are worse. I personally would rather soften the image up with Noise Ninja than have unintended motion blur so prefer to keep my minimum shutter speed at 1/800 or above and set the ISO where I need to.

Thanks for the kind words and comments!
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    these are really good
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006

Isnt that why they make manual mode

Great shots, i love my 20D for just that reason. Nice high iso images.