wide angle advice

quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited October 15, 2006 in Cameras
Just wanted to get the opinion of the experts before I buy .....
I have saved some money for a new lens and a nice wide angle is next on the wish list. I do lots of hiking/outdoor pictures and it would be nice to get a wider look. I have a Rebel XT and I like the canon lenses but have also had good luck with Sigma.

Considering the canon 10-22 -- what do you all suggest?
Thanks in advance.
heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
facebook
photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    What is your widest lens right now?
    The 10-22 is a very nice lens.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Current widest is canon 18-55.
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Also have a look at the Sigma 10-20mm/4-5.6 EX lens.
    Its cheaper than the Canon 10-22 and opticaly on par
    with it.

A lens review of the Canon 10-22mm can be found here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_1022_3545/index.htm

A lens review of the Sigma 10-20mm can be foudn here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1020_456/index.htm

If you want to spend a little less you should also checkout
    the Sigma 15-30mm/3.5-4.5 its also nice on a crop sensor cam.

good luck decideing.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    I think the widest lenses (without going fisheye) are the canon 10-22 ($675) and the sigma 10-20($500), which by all accounts is also a good lens. It won an award or something. I'm gonna buy it 'cuz the widest nikon makes is 12mm, and If I'm going wide, I may as well go wide. Tamron makes an 11-17mm($519 after rebate) and there's a Tokina 12-24mm($500), but I've heard that the difference between 12 and 10 is pretty big and seeing as they're not any cheaper I don't see the point.

There's also a Sigma 12-24 that I think will work on a full-frame sensor or a film camera if that's a concern for you, and a couple of 14mm F2.8 lenses that will also work on a full frame sensor or a film camera (and I bet they're sweet) but they're $900. They're more for interior shots in low light anyway so not necessary for outdoor stuff. Anyway, I reckon you can't go wrong with the Canon 10-22, and if you want to save a few bucks the Sigma 10-20 seems a good alternative.

I'm gonna shut up now and let people who've actually used them have a say.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • SysagentSysagent Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Hi,

I have the Sigma 10mm-20mm wideangle zoom lens and it seems to do ok...

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Tokina AF 17mm f/3.5 AT-X Pro prime lens off Ebay and I am very glad I did as this lens is fantastic value for the money, it also equals the same focal length as a 90mm wideangle lens that most full format landscapers use for their images.

I still use the 10mm on the Sigma for them shots where the 17mm of the Tokina can't just fit it all in or for really great expansive sky shots. But the workhorse now for Landscapes and the like is the Tokina, it's great and the contrast of images is superb.

See my photoblog if you want to see some images taken with both lenses :)

Russ
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    I had the Tokina 17mm and sold it. It was a very sweet lens, but I sold it to acquire the EFS 10-22. The Canon lens, as it turned out, was just so much nicer!! I really like it!

If you're interested, here is a shot I took while visiting my brother in Eagle River AK.

82239977-M.jpg

I could not have gotten this with the 17mm Tokina. Click on the image for exif.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    I just got the Tokina 12-24 and am happy with it so far (only a few test shots yet). Build quality seems a lot better than Canon's 10-22 which I have also used. It can be had for $430 with US warranty (buydig.com) or about $10-$15 less grey market (sigma4less.com).
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Thanks all - I had not even looked at the Tokina so that helps. I will ponder reviews and then roll the dice.
    facebook
    photoblog