Grip-rubber

Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
edited October 15, 2006 in Cameras
Hi,

I own a D200 (which is a fantastic camera) but I noticed that the grip-rubber is comming of. I'm on Aruba and it's too expensive and too risky to send it to Nikon for fixing (which is in the USA) I decided to fix it myself.

Do you have any experience with glueing a rubber back onto a body and if so, which glue does the job the best?

Dick.
"Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
Website.

Comments

• ONESHOTONESHOT Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    I WOULD USE ''SUPER GLUE'' STRONG AND LAST FOREVER.
    THATS WOULD BE MY CHOICE....PS THINK HIGHLY OF YOUR PHOTOS
    THINK THERE JUST GREAT.
    HOPE THIS HELPS thumb.gif
  • Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    ONESHOT wrote:
    I WOULD USE ''SUPER GLUE'' STRONG AND LAST FOREVER.
    THATS WOULD BE MY CHOICE....PS THINK HIGHLY OF YOUR PHOTOS
    THINK THERE JUST GREAT.
    HOPE THIS HELPS thumb.gif

Thanks OneShot.

Is superglue not too "hard"? I mean does it not break because of the hardness? You tryed it already?

Dick.
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • ONESHOTONESHOT Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    HAY DICK.

YER IT IS HARD, BUT SHOULD LAST, MAYBE TRY AND DO SOME RESEARCH ON THE NET. LET ME KNOW HOW YA GOT ON, WOULD BE INTRESTING TO FIND OUT HOW AND WHAT YOU CHOOSE AND IF IT WORKS.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MISSION...thumb.gif
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    For Dick: be careful when using superglue. Sometimes it has a chemical reaction with the body material, which wouldn't be too good for your camera. Also, I don't know if underneath the grip there's screws (there are in my Olympus E-1), and superglueing the grip might make servicing the camera more difficult.

The loosening grips are quite common for the cameras with softer rubber grips (probably because the rubber stretches a little during use). My E-1 had it too, and I was advised not to use superglue of any kind. Some used rubber cement. But most common was the use of Scotch Double Side tape. That resembles the tape Olympus used on my grip. "Happily" my E-1 needed to go in for servicing when the grip situation went worse, so I had it done by Olympus in the end. I don't know if I would have sent the camera in for just reglueing the grip.

For Oneshot: could you please not type in ALL CAPS. That's considered to be shouting in text only conversations, and to my eyes is very hard to read.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    For Dick: be careful when using superglue. Sometimes it has a chemical reaction with the body material, which wouldn't be too good for your camera. Also, I don't know if underneath the grip there's screws (there are in my Olympus E-1), and superglueing the grip might make servicing the camera more difficult....

Thanks.

I'm, as you may have noticed, not sure about superglue for this kind of glueing. I will however not leave it like it is and glue it myself anyway if I find myself confortable with an advice. Self I was thinking about a glue from the "Bison kit" brand.

Dick.
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.