My rebel XT/Sigma lens - problem? opinions/help please.

StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
edited October 18, 2006 in Cameras
Why is this image so bad, its sooo noisy!? Using a Rebel xt/350D with the Sigma DC 18-200

Cam info is
Shutter speed 1/1000 sec
Exposure program Manual
F-Stop f/6.3
Arpetyre f/6.3
ISO 200
focal length 200.00
No flash
Metering mode Pattern

102444875-L.jpg
Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Got me. It's not super-cropped is it? My photos (same camera) don't look like this at 1600 ISO. Double check the ISO. If the problem recurs reliably, I would guess an issue with the image sensor?
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Is this straight out of camera? Or is this after some adjustments compensating for underexposure? And is this a "through the air" shot, or did you have to shoot through a glass window?
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    No Glass No crop! The Raw file looks like this, just done a basic convert to jpeg

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    No Glass No crop! The Raw file looks like this, just done a basic convert to jpeg
    If all that's true, you may really have a problem. Are you getting the same results on other images? If so, I think you're going to want to have your camera looked at. It shouldn't have anything to do with the lens.

If it's only this image... Was it particularly hot when you took it? Heat increases sensor noise. But, even if it was 100F outside, this is still excessive for ISO 200.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 15, 2006
    I'm not seeing distinct shadows. Was it overcast?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    wild stab here, but is it possible this was caused by over-sharpening by in-camera software, or accidental exposure compensation? (the manual for my D70 lead me to belive that exposure comp vasicaly does the same thing as increasing or lowering ISo)
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
    edited October 15, 2006
    not hot at all quite cool!

Ziggy yeh pretty overcast day.
    Esiggins it was a RAW from the camera so no sharpening!

Ihave number of images like this all at 200mm. other shots are fine at shorter focal length.

weird?

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    I don't know anything about that lens, but the first lens I got with my 10D was a Sigma that was specifically NOT digital. (I bought my package from some very disreputable NY based camera ripoff company.) I brought the camera and the lens into a local camera shop and compared it with a similar Canon lens and it was night and day!

But the only thing is - my pictures didn't look like this. They were just really soft.... I'm just not sure if a lens can cause this kind of grain. But it's definitely worth checking out and comparing that lens to a Canon lens - and making sure that's specifically made for a digital camera.

Good luck. Having a lens that doesn't do what you want really sucks!
    edited October 15, 2006
    I don't know anything about that lens, but the first lens I got with my 10D was a Sigma that was specifically NOT digital. (I bought my package from some very disreputable NY based camera ripoff company.) I brought the camera and the lens into a local camera shop and compared it with a similar Canon lens and it was night and day!

But the only thing is - my pictures didn't look like this. They were just really soft.... I'm just not sure if a lens can cause this kind of grain. But it's definitely worth checking out and comparing that lens to a Canon lens - and making sure that's specifically made for a digital camera.

Good luck. Having a lens that doesn't do what you want really sucks!

Thanks but it is a Sigma 'DC' lens that means it is specifically designed to work with digital SLR's ONLY.
    I really dont see why its doing this????

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:

What did you use to do the RAW conversion? Are you certain the program you used didn't automatically boost the exposure on an otherwise underexposed image? I'd be curious to check out the original RAW file...
    edited October 15, 2006
    When I viewed the RAW untouched in Adobe Camera RAW it wa s as it appears now.

It really is like that right out of the camera!

edited October 16, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    When I viewed the RAW untouched in Adobe Camera RAW it wa s as it appears now.

It really is like that right out of the camera!

Adobe Camera Raw by default applies some auto adjustments to your RAW files. Go in ACR, and set everything to zero (exposure, shadow compensation etc.) and see if that still makes your picture look that way.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    For overcast conditions, 1/1000s @ F6.3 seems way too fast for ISO 200. I would expect shutter speeds like that at ISO 800 or even ISO 1600.

I've been trying to find a pic that will satisfy the criteria, and this is the only one I could find at F6.3 under overcast conditions. (t=1/200s, ISO 100 taken at 1424). Bumping this up to ISO 200 would give me roughly t=1/400s

85307065-M.jpg
    edited October 16, 2006
    BigAl wrote:
    For overcast conditions, 1/1000s @ F6.3 seems way too fast for ISO 200.

That's why I don't rule out underexposure, which ACR automagically (exposure, shadows and brightness sliders) tries to compensate for. Turning off Auto, and setting these sliders to default should show if that's what's happening.
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    I'm guessing ACR bumped up the exposure and made the image noisey.

here's a really bad example...shot this at iso100, 30s, f/5.6
    82284183-L.jpg

It needed to be exposed a lot longer...ACR tried to fix it. I think it was worse, but I tried to get rid of some of the noise.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    edited October 16, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Ziggy yeh pretty overcast day.

There's your answer! An overcast day indicates an Exposure Value of 12 or 13.

A proper exposure in those conditions should have been more like (at ISO 200 and f6.3) 1/200th or 1/250th, or around 2 - 2 1/2 stops more duration. A contrast increase explains the additional graininess.

The coarse grain then is the result of strong underexposure, with extremely low contrast, with subsequent compensation by software.

Different RAW processing through different software might produce improved results.

Why the camera chose that exposure is another mystery?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • WindwalkerWindwalker Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2006
    Aperture Ring
    I have had a terrible time with my Sigma 70-200 F2.8 lens until today. My pictures were turning out much more grainy the yours. I thought something was wrong with the lens.

Then I noticed that the shots my wife took were much better then mine, sharper and with less grain. The difference was that I had set the camera (*ist DS) to automatic along with the lens when giving it to her. Then I noticed my F stop set in my photos were all F2.8 and the shutter speed very fast (F2.8 @ 1/2000), as apposed to her shots that had more believable settings (F8 @ 1/650)

I took some test shots today with my lens on and off the auto setting of the aperture ring of the lens and had much better results on the auto setting then using the aperture ring on the lens.

Here is what I think is happening (subject to conformation from Pentax). The camera is unable to read the aperture from the lens. It sets the default as F2.8 and adjusts the shutter speed accordingly. The sensor has insufficient light to record a usable image and so “pushes” the ISO speed of the exposure until it has a usable image. This is the cause of the grain.

When I set the lens to auto (“A”) and use the aperture adjustment in the camera I don’t have this problem. The camera sets the aperture correctly and the exposure is correct. If I want to adjust the aperture I should use the electronic setting letting the camera set the lens.

I am checking with Pentax to see if the camera does in fact do it this way, but it fits all of the criteria. As an old film photographer I am in the habit of using the aperture ring instead of the electronic setting in the camera. Might you be doing the same?
    edited October 16, 2006
    YOU could be onto something here windwalker!

I was in AV mode and went to 200mm and then altered the arpeture to 6.3 which is as open as it will go at that zoom.

I will have to have a play and see.

It was puzzling because I have had other shots at 200mm that are fine.

Ziggy your right it doesnt add up it looks too fast doesnt it!

But should I be contacting Cannon/Sigma because the combination really shouldnt cause sucha problem should it?

edited October 16, 2006
    Aperture
    From Sigma;

You MUST be in auto or wide open, but they wouldn't (or couldn't) tell me why. Still waiting to hear from Pentax. It takes a few days via email.
    edited October 17, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    YOU could be onto something here windwalker!

I was in AV mode and went to 200mm and then altered the arpeture to 6.3 which is as open as it will go at that zoom.

I will have to have a play and see.

It was puzzling because I have had other shots at 200mm that are fine.

Ziggy your right it doesnt add up it looks too fast doesnt it!

But should I be contacting Cannon/Sigma because the combination really shouldnt cause sucha problem should it?

I suspect that you and Windwalker are having two similar results, but for different reasons.

Continue to test your camera to see if you can duplicate the exposure error consistantly. Many things could have caused this type of error that are not the result of a defective camera.

A strong light from behind or to the sides can (potentally) casue light to come in the camera through the viewfinder, altering the exposure. I am not saying that is what happened here, but there are many possibilities to explore.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited October 17, 2006
    Windwalker wrote:
    From Sigma;

You MUST be in auto or wide open, but they wouldn't (or couldn't) tell me why. Still waiting to hear from Pentax. It takes a few days via email.

That is curious. Which lens specifically?

In the mean time, I would trust the response from Sigma which seems to correspond with your own observation.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited October 17, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    That is curious. Which lens specifically?

In the mean time, I would trust the response from Sigma which seems to correspond with your own observation.

ziggy53

Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO DG EX

The emails I got back from them didn’t seem to be knowledgeable, just repeating the party line, i.e. I was corresponding with a “technician”ne_nau.gif , not someone who understood the design of the lens. I’m still waiting to hear back from Pentax, who, if they follow their normal timeline, should get back to me by next week. To be fair, if I needed immediate information I would just call and sit on hold for 5 to 10 minutes.
    edited October 17, 2006
    Windwalker wrote:
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO DG EX

The emails I got back from them didn’t seem to be knowledgeable, just repeating the party line, i.e. I was corresponding with a “technician”ne_nau.gif , not someone who understood the design of the lens. I’m still waiting to hear back from Pentax, who, if they follow their normal timeline, should get back to me by next week. To be fair, if I needed immediate information I would just call and sit on hold for 5 to 10 minutes.

That's a pretty current lens, so I guess I'm surprised that it requires "Auto" mode or wide open for proper operation. That is disappointing (I feel your pain.) There may be something goofy in how the lens "communicates" with the body that requires the Auto mode for full integration.

I had two copies of the EOS mount of the same lens, and there was no aperture ring or auto mode switch, so I don't have experience that way, and my experience with Pentax only relates to manual focus M42 and PK mount lenses and cameras. Hopefully someone will chime in, or you might start a new thread, lest we hijak this one.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited October 17, 2006
    Mine is a current lens too! that doesnt seem to mean much, taken some more shots and got same effect basically in Av mode if I go to 200mm then open lens to 6.3 this is the shot I get, It appears as if the camera is allowing/giving to fast a shutter speed and then trying to save the shot!

the problem doesnt of course occur in any other mode!

• BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Are the numbers you gave with your first pic from the EXIF or memory? I have a Bigma, and at the widest aperture it tells the camera 5.6 and not 6.3 so that the autofocus will work. I'd imagine the 18-200 would do the same, so if you're getting 6.3 from EXIF and you had it on the widest aperture, something is fishy.
    edited October 18, 2006
    Yeh thats from The Exif Bigal I think the camera is miscomunicating with the lens!?

Im going to do a test today and see if I can work it out.

• kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    I have the Nikon version of this Sigma 18-200 lens and I've never seen anything like that happen to me (using D200). I know that doesn't help you, but at least you know someone else (me) is using the same lens and doesn't have that problem.

These were at 200mm with the Sigma 18-200. Different lighting conditions than your photo though...but if it helps...

99595508-L.jpg

101238541-L.jpg

101238584-L.jpg
    edited October 18, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Mine is a current lens too! that doesnt seem to mean much, taken some more shots and got same effect basically in Av mode if I go to 200mm then open lens to 6.3 this is the shot I get, It appears as if the camera is allowing/giving to fast a shutter speed and then trying to save the shot!

the problem doesnt of course occur in any other mode!

I agree that this sounds like a repeatable and legitimate problem, probably originating from the lens. If Sigma can't explain it, then I believe they should replace it.

I did find this very similar experience to yours:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CkrC

ziggy53
    ziggy53