Newbie Help!!!

SnappyFingersSnappyFingers Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 16, 2006 in Cameras
Hello everybody!!

This happens to be my very first post in the forum, and the people here seem very exceptionally nice and helpful, so I am looking forward to postting with all!

I have always had an interest in photography, ever since the weeee age of 6...no 7, well, whatever. Anyway, photography had always been an on again off again hobby of mine until about 3 or 4 years ago. For the past 3-4 years I was using a Fuji S3000 P & S. I loved it, and just within the past month decided to delve into the world of DSlr's by purchasing a Nikon D50. I love it.

Anyway. I definitely want to begin adding more and more toys to my camera bag, starting with a lens. I actually enjoy the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the camera. Initially, I thought I wanted a much longer range and began researching 70-300 and 55-200mm lenses.

However, I found myself really wanting a 50mm f/1.8. I have yet to hear any negative news pertaining to the 50mm. The more I thought, I realized I take a lot of photographs indoors (obviously lower lighting), whether it is the the holidays, museums, parties, etc. This January I'll be heading to Disney with several friends for a small trip. There are many rides and shows that are indoors where, and I quote, "The use of flash photography is prohibited." I was hoping to use this lens for the majority, if not all of trip.

Is the 50mm f/1.8 suitable for, say, photographing indoor dance performances? Suitable for those candid moments duiring paries, like New Year's or, I don't know, Halloween? :dunno

So, any help would be greatly appreciated. My original question was going to be the 50mm vs 70-300mm, however I think I've convinced myself which one I want more right now.

Oh, and I'm sorry if it seemed like it took me forever just to get to the point.

Comments

• ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    The short answer is 'yes'.

Look around these forums and you'll find plenty of praise for the 50mm 1.8, from both canon and nikon camps. Also, it's perfect for the sort of stuff your talking about: indoors, no flash, hangoing out with friends. For a dance performance, it's probably a bit too short unless you can get right up in front of the stage, but there's no way the 70-300 will be fast enough (i.e. good enough in low light) for that anyway. the other great thing about the 50mm is how damn cheap it is. Hell, you could buy one and then just keep shopping.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    I have shot dance performaces and operas and other such events with a sigma 28-200 f3.5 - 5.6......

For any performance that 50mm is waaaaay toooo short in my opinon.....there are a couple of dance shots in my portfolio if you care to llok and the exif data is there also...it is okay for snapping at parties and things like that ...I found that for portraits I prefered to stay back ad not be nose to nose to my subject when should a headshot....I like the fastness of the 50's but not the get in your faceness of them....

I have been lucky enuff to finally get a 70 - 200 f2.8 and a 24 - 70 f2.8 both sigma lens.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website