Options

advice after first sale to a magazine

asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited October 18, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
:barb Heads up, happy days.

Wanted to share my joy in selling 2 shots to rolling stone magazine. A lucky break and a minor triumph in my development. I didn't search it out I was passed on their interest in an event and they took it.

So, although I want to make this my work and business..Im some way from formulating my business plan. That said how do I make the most of a 'by line'? How do I reference it and use it for leverage for future work? How best to move forward, or utilise it?

Whats in yur Brainstorm?

A thanks goes to those on the forum a learning tool that has been a source of inspiration, reference and guidance in all things light. :ivar
where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com

Comments

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    CONGRADS!! thumb.gifthumb
    Can't wait till I get my break....if ever? ne_nau.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Hey can you share the shots?
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    clap.gif congrats !!! great news on 16th october eek7.gifDwings.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Reply In Yellow In Your Post....
    asamuel wrote:
    wings.gif Heads up, happy days.

Wanted to share my joy in selling 2 shots to rolling stone magazine. A lucky break and a minor triumph in my development. I didn't search it out I was passed on their interest in an event and they took it.

So, although I want to make this my work and business..Im some way from formulating my business plan. That said how do I make the most of a 'by line'?
    Now you will be a published (by an international mag) Photog...so you will want to grab a few copies of that issue and tear out the pages (these are called TEAR SHEETS) of your photos / w credit line. This goes in your portfolio.
    Anytime you make a resume for this type of work reference to the mag by name and issue # Date of issue and the pages that your pics are on and i would frame a closed copy of the issue next to an open copy showing your pics.....Be Proud..show it off....You could also scan the pics with creditline into your bio page of your website...

Also keep a copy of your letters to and from RS for reference...just in case some smartA** asks you to prove it...those letters or email are invaluable proof of your work, at least until you become known worldwide (however large your world depends on you :D )...

Start a gallery of your published work away from you your standard portfolio...a special gallery that really stands out.

How do I reference it and use it for leverage for future work? How best to move forward, or utilise it?

see above

Whats in yur Brainstorm?

A thanks goes to those on the forum a learning tool that has been a source of inspiration, reference and guidance in all things light. :ivar

A GREAT BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ON THIS MILESTONE IN YOUR CAREER!!!!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    Thanks guys for your congratulations. Unfortunately I am relucant to share the shots because they asked exclusivity. I dont know how far these boundries stretch but I will play it down the line lest I shoot myself in the foot.

Art scott, your advice is just the stuff I was looking for. and I think I will follow it verbatim.clap.gif
    where's the cheese at?

• Options
    wmas1960wmas1960 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Another Congratulations.

Good advice already given. Just to add something. Don't know if it needs to be said but, just in case. When you tear out the page that contains your picture, tear out a full clean page. Actually cut along the binding and take a good clean page out. The whole page. I see a lot of people who will cut a photo and article out of a magazine or news paper and will cut around it eliminating all unnecessary information. They make the mistake of also tearing off the info that contains the name of the publication, page numbers etc. Usually much of the info is at the top of the page and the page number and other info is along the bottom. Like I said, take the whole page and make sure you include all that identifying information.

I had one photo published in a newspaper some years ago. It was a photo of an executive jet that I had taken when out taking pictures for a aircraft services (FBO) company at a local airport. They paid me to go out and take photos around the airport that they could use in trade show exhibits and in their brocures, advertisements etc. They also had a wall in their lounge with photos of their customers displayed. This was a photo that turned out not to be one of their customers but one of one of their competitor. It was a locally based aircraft and very identifyable. Anyway, they never used it and it just sat in my file photo with the negatives to all their other photos.

One day the plane crashed on take off and they knew I had a photo of it. I got a call from them and located the negative and ran out to the airport with copies as someone had mentioned the photo to TV and Newspaper reporters. Some were anxious to see the photo of the plane. It ended up on 2 TV News programs and the Front Page, below the fold one of the major local dailies.

I went out and got about 4 copies of the paper and saved the whole front page sections from them. I then scanned the paper into my computer. I had to do it in about 3 different parts as the page was too big for the scanner. Then I pieced them together in Photoshop and saved that as well.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Congratulations! Be sure to let us know when it hits the stands and what page(s) to check out!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    Thanks guys for your congratulations. Unfortunately I am relucant to share the shots because they asked exclusivity. I dont know how far these boundries stretch but I will play it down the line lest I shoot myself in the foot.

Art scott, your advice is just the stuff I was looking for. and I think I will follow it verbatim.clap.gif
    Glad I could help and good luck.thumb.gif

saurora wrote:
    Congratulations! Be sure to let us know when it hits the stands and what page(s) to check out!!! clap.gif
    Yes yes do let us know....will they run in the US as well as your editions there....some Mags run different articles depending on the country market.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    Thanks guys good tips and I appreciate the congratsiloveyou.gif . As Art Scott said articles in International editions will often carry different articles and I doubt this will cross the border...its not Ozzy eating the head of a bat. I hope that doesn't shatter illusions.
    where's the cheese at?

• Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    A GREAT BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ON THIS MILESTONE IN YOUR CAREER!!!!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Those are good advices… since every pro photographer does it :Dthumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?