To buy or not to buy? Canon 20D or 400XTi

Sandy FeetSandy Feet Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited October 16, 2006 in Cameras
Right now, I am using the Rebel XT 350D and am quite happy with it. When I saw that Canon was coming out with the XTi and it's increased mgpxl's I got very excited. Especially after seeing such an affordable price tag. My clients like to get their photos blown up, so I thought the more mgpxls the better. Unfortunately, everything I've read, has left me a bit disappointed. Like the fact that while increasing to 10.1, Canon kept the sensor the same size as the 350D, and the negative feedback on exposure issues didn't help the sale either. However, the new dust cleaning feature has me still wondering if it would be a good upgrade. ( I spend alot of time shooting outdoors) I spent some time with some pro photographers doing a shoot this weekend, discussing my dilemna. They all agreed if I was going to upgrade, I'd be better off going to the 20D than the 400XTi. Citing it's faster frame per second rate and solid photo history. I'd be trading off one 8 mgpxl camera for another, worth it? I dunno.....????
Maybe, I should just take my funds and put it towards another lens or some new tires for my SUV. Thoughts?Advice?Comments?........thanks!
The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
:thumb

http://imagesinsurfphotography.smugmug.com/

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Hey Sandy Feet,
    I have the 350D now and would vote for keeping it for the time being. I'm not sure how big your clients like their prints but I just had my first show and got a few prints at 16x20 (from a slightly cropped RAW from the 350D). Even at 1-2 inches from the print, I could not see any pixelation.
    Though I don't have the money to upgrade the body right now, I've heard enough rumors of features 'in the pipeline' to feel that a new body can wait 1-2 years while I get the most out of this one. Any time I start thinking about this, all I have to do is look at some of the photos that the 300D has produced in capable hands and realize that I have a ways to go take full advantage of my current dSLR.
    Hope that helps,
    E

Sandy Feet wrote:
    Right now, I am using the Rebel XT 350D and am quite happy with it. When I saw that Canon was coming out with the XTi and it's increased mgpxl's I got very excited. Especially after seeing such an affordable price tag. My clients like to get their photos blown up, so I thought the more mgpxls the better. Unfortunately, everything I've read, has left me a bit disappointed. Like the fact that while increasing to 10.1, Canon kept the sensor the same size as the 350D, and the negative feedback on exposure issues didn't help the sale either. However, the new dust cleaning feature has me still wondering if it would be a good upgrade. ( I spend alot of time shooting outdoors) I spent some time with some pro photographers doing a shoot this weekend, discussing my dilemna. They all agreed if I was going to upgrade, I'd be better off going to the 20D than the 400XTi. Citing it's faster frame per second rate and solid photo history. I'd be trading off one 8 mgpxl camera for another, worth it? I dunno.....????
    Maybe, I should just take my funds and put it towards another lens or some new tires for my SUV. Thoughts?Advice?Comments?........thanks!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 16, 2006
    The XT is still a very competent camera. The 20D/30D bodies have faster processing overall, but similar ISO attributes, although the 20D/30D has the additional ISO of 3200, although pretty coarse grain results.

The 20D/30D also has a more durable shutter and the 30D has spot metering.

If you still have "holes" in your lens inventory, I would fill those first, as the same lenses fit either camera, if and when you decide to upgrade.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The XT is still a very competent camera. The 20D/30D bodies have faster processing overall, but similar ISO attributes, although the 20D/30D has the additional ISO of 3200, although pretty coarse grain results.

The 20D/30D also has a more durable shutter and the 30D has spot metering.

If you still have "holes" in your lens inventory, I would fill those first, as the same lenses fit either camera, if and when you decide to upgrade.

ziggy53

Any word on when the 40D is coming out? Would this change the discussion any?

If the 40D is a 10- 12 mp camera and if it has faster focusing- that might be enough to drive me to upgrade. I dont care so much about the fast frame rate, but low noise and fast, accurate focusing would do more to improve my shots.

I get the right ones, but at times faster and at lower light than my XT can respond.

Additional thoughts?
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Even though the new rebel has 2 more megapixels, the 400D review at dpreview.com (see bottom paragraph on linked page) seems to indicate that the 400D doesn't produce any more appreciable detail when compared to the 350D image. So, I wouldn't fuss too much over 8 vs 10 megapixels.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    All I can say is that there's no way I'd trade my 20D for the XTi.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Sandy Feet wrote:
    Right now, I am using the Rebel XT 350D and am quite happy with it.

If you're happy with it then stick with it for a while. Just because a new camera is out there doesn't mean you have to have it.

If you really need the extra resolution for large prints I would look into a 5D. With the rebate this camera is much more affordable than it used to be and you can actually get an appreciable increase in detail from your shots.

Erich