not seeing them Nir umph.gif
    Oops! Hope it's corrected now.
    Thanks Lynn!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    [/QUOTE]Hi Nir..I love the goat!! I think I maybe would have sharpened and curved him a tad.. and maybe cropped the right side a bit but I love it..

The other portrait of the mans face made me jump back.. I found it a bit too "real" if thats the right word.. I can't say as I liked it.
    The goat for me (I'm a sucker for goats) :D
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    I really like the goat, but find the background a bit overpowering. I like the realness of the face and the angle of the shot.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    Sorry Lynn, didn't mean to scare you! :D

It is very 'real'. No softening up for 'glamour'. I like the fact that it jumps out at you, or rather makes you jump back but am still undecided weather I like it as a portrait or not. I feel it's different than what we're used to. Crude (is that the correct word?)

Sandy, does 'I like the angle' diplomatically mean the rest sucks? 1drink.gif

I think its one of those 'either like it or hate it', no in between. The question is if there's anyone that likes it (I know Lynn doesn't) :D

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2004
    Nir wrote:

It is very 'real'. No softening up for 'glamour'. I like the fact that it jumps out at you, or rather makes you jump back but am still undecided weather I like it as a portrait or not. I feel it's different than what we're used to. Crude (is that the correct word?)

I think its one of those 'either like it or hate it', no in between. The question is if there's anyone that likes it (I know Lynn doesn't) :D
    showed my husband the mans portrait and he likes it.. thought it was lovely..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    It means I like the realness, the way the face jumps out and the angle. I'm happy no one has photographed me that close up, at least I hope not.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    showed my husband the mans portrait and he likes it.. thought it was lovely..rolleyes1.gif
    Hey Lynn, your husband knows what he's talking about! :D

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    It means I like the realness, the way the face jumps out and the angle. I'm happy no one has photographed me that close up, at least I hope not.
    Sandy! Look behind you! mwink.gif

Kidding of course. Thanks for commenting!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    Nir,

I agree that it makes a very intimidating, yet very intimate, portrait, suggesting someone in deep concentration or point of decision. Or someone to respect, someone with authority, someone to have on my side in a difficult negotiation.

I wonder whether the slightly muddy left side of his face could be be deemphasized by making it even darker, or by changing the background to have a similar value and maybe texture as that side, to further emphasize the sharp edge consisting of the crease of the upper lip, the nose, and the crease of the brow.

Gary

Nir wrote:

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    I like the Man's face.

The shot of the goat is very good, but I think the man's face has a lot of impact. It grabs your attention.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Thanks for all your comments!

The 'goat' is actually a wild male ibex shot in the Eilat Mountains in southern Israel. I got about 3 meters away from him. As long as I stayed in the car everything was ok. The moment my foot stepped out of the car he was gone.

Lynn, as you suggested;

BEFORE:

12893248-L.jpg

AFTER:

12946737-L.jpg

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Nir wrote:
    Thanks for all your comments!

The 'goat' is actually a wild male ibex shot in the Eilat Mountains in southern Israel. I got about 3 meters away from him. As long as I stayed in the car everything was ok. The moment my foot stepped out of the car he was gone.

Lynn, as you suggested;

BEFORE:

AFTER:
    I like it.. but I think it's now cropped a bit tight rolleyes1.gif sorry to be so fickle...
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    I couldn't make my mind up about the mans face to start with. ne_nau.gif
    It's very dramatic and certainly has impact, & every time I look at him I see more detail.....It's face that looks like its seen a lot of life.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I like the Man's face.

The shot of the goat is very good, but I think the man's face has a lot of impact. It grabs your attention.
    I think greaper said it very well Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2004
    You guys are great!

I have slightly reprocessed:

12952208-L.jpg

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Ben:::DBen:::D Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    go with this one. The goat is...well, a goat. umph.gif This one is rich with emotion and character. And if it's intimidating or unusual, then that's a good thing! At least it's not passive! It makes you look and wonder and think about it. thumb.gifthumb.gif

(one little suggestion: maybe crop just a bit of the top off. It seems to "enlarge" right off the page, for me. maybe just down to just above the large mole on the upper left of the forehead--so there's still some white hair visible but not SO much forehead??? you're call, just thought I'd throw my two cents in! :D )
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    Nir wrote:
    You guys are great!

I have slightly reprocessed:

12952208-L.jpg
    I really like this one. The angle and the detail of the face are very captivating. I'm sure this face belongs to a great story which I'd love to hear!

mitch
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    Ben:::D wrote:
    The goat is...well, a goat. umph.gif
    Yeah, and !umph.gif
    :D
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    Ben:::D wrote:
    go with this one. The goat is...well, a goat. umph.gif This one is rich with emotion and character. And if it's intimidating or unusual, then that's a good thing! At least it's not passive! It makes you look and wonder and think about it. thumb.gifthumb.gif

(one little suggestion: maybe crop just a bit of the top off. It seems to "enlarge" right off the page, for me. maybe just down to just above the large mole on the upper left of the forehead--so there's still some white hair visible but not SO much forehead??? you're call, just thought I'd throw my two cents in! :D )
    HM.. looks like Ben and I see portraits in a similary way. I really like the headshot but would crop it into a square above the left eyebrow. Too much forehead for my liking. The goat... I think the light is very harsh which, even though there's nothing technically wrong with the picture, detracts from its impact.