Options

Can't enter script tags in my posting - what to do?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited October 18, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
I'm trying to update a summary posting on vanity URLs and it requires that I enter a few script tags into the message so people can copy paste this javascript to their own pages. For some reason when I try to put a greater than sign followed by the word script, I get the following in my message. It works the same whether I put it in a "code" block or not. This is what is looks like:
[FONT=Courier New]******** type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
CheckRedirects();
</********
[/FONT]

It looks like the vbulletin software is stripping the script tags out of my posting. But, I need to include this so I can properly illustrate how to make this customization to your Smugmug page. Is there any way for me to enter raw HTML so I can use < to defeat the stripping?

What can I do here?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm trying to update a summary posting on vanity URLs and it requires that I enter a few script tags into the message so people can copy paste this javascript to their own pages. For some reason when I try to put a greater than sign followed by the word script, I get the following in my message. It works the same whether I put it in a "code" block or not. This is what is looks like:
    [FONT=Courier New]******** type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
    CheckRedirects();
    </********
    [/FONT]

It looks like the vbulletin software is stripping the script tags out of my posting. But, I need to include this so I can properly illustrate how to make this customization to your Smugmug page. Is there any way for me to enter raw HTML so I can use < to defeat the stripping?

What can I do here?
    Hi John,

It's a safety measure we've taken, so people can not run scripts on dgrin. Change the script tags to something like </script*> and mention people have to leave out the red asterisk.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi John,

It's a safety measure we've taken, so people can not run scripts on dgrin. Change the script tags to something like </script*> and mention people have to leave out the red asterisk.
    OK, I guess it's a pretty recent prohibition because I'm trying to edit a previous posting of mine that had script tags in it (illustrating vanity URLs in JavaScript) and they are now being removed. They didn't used to get removed. All I want is the code to show in text, I don't want actual live HTML script tags. It seems like there could be a happy medium here that allowed the words to show as that isn't a danger to anyone because it's just text, not active HTML tags.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    OK, I guess it's a pretty recent prohibition because I'm trying to edit a previous posting of mine that had script tags in it (illustrating vanity URLs in JavaScript) and they are now being removed. They didn't used to get removed. All I want is the code to show in text, I don't want actual live HTML script tags. It seems like there could be a happy medium here that allowed the words to show as that isn't a danger to anyone because it's just text, not active HTML tags.
    We've changed it a few months ago i believe, because some happy campers posted some code in the forum. This is what it will for for a while probably, I'm sorry. It's always the other few who ruin it for the rest...
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 18, 2006
    jfriend wrote:

What can I do here?

John,

it is unfortunate that we had to turn if off. The current method i use is...

<*script*>
    <*/script*>

and just tell people to remove the *'s

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos