30D or 5D: thats the rub.

asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited October 17, 2006 in Cameras
I currently use a 350D. I will stick with canon. I intend to push hard to get proffesional work in photography...emphasis on photojournalism. I have just sold my first two pictures to an internaltional magazine, but there was a fair bit of luck in that scenario, and no direct leads to future work.

I promised myself that I would buy a model body up from the 350D whenever a sale was made. I cannot find a succinct comparison of the two models.

My hunch is that I should buy the 30D + an EF24 - 70 lens. If I can work on my own projects for the next year and through it find some work then in the future invest in a 5D body.

My only concern is that I cannot see the wood for the trees, I dont wholey understand the full frame advantage of the 5d, and some people have suggested its a gimmik. I am apprehensive because I have always kicked myself from the onset for not buying the 20D but instead the 350D. Now I'm wondering if again I am not speculating to accumulate.

If I bought the 5D I would kiss the EF lens goodbye and fall back on my EFs10-22 and sigma 50mm primer.

I wonder if this post is just a winge and regret to waste anybodys time, but any light on the matter would be appreciated.:bow
where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    I haven't used the 30D or 5D so I can't help you with that but the EF-S lenses will not work on the full frame cameras. So if you did get rid of the 350D and bought the 5D you would also have to get rid of the EF-S 10-22 because it does not work with the 5D.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    bloody good point that. those cheeky monkys with all their jiggery pokery will be the end of me. Hmmm. you have to approach this with cunning innit.

So theres not a wee bit of kit that can make the EF-s compatible for the 5D an extension or what notheadscratch.gif
    where's the cheese at?

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Nope, sorry.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited October 17, 2006
    Now I'm bummed. because I really am considering the 5D seriously.
    where's the cheese at?

edited October 17, 2006
    Lets take a trip to crazy world. Lets say I buy the 5D with the EF24-70.

But I loose the 10-22.

But I gain the image quality of that full frame, and I still have that 50mm sigma primer..............But no work.

I intend to spend 6months on a photography road trip to really thrash my portfolio (though I'm not sure my girlfriend sees it in the same wayrolleyes1.gif )

Is this wander in crazy land going to end in the psych ward for stupid ideas held by unwealthy people, or do you want to try these purple sweets too and see the world the way I am.

My girlfriend would kill me on the spot for even thinking this. but hey, I ain't marrieddeal.gif
    where's the cheese at?

• SysagentSysagent Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    If you can afford it go for the 5D and a lens something along the lines of the 17mm-40mm L Canon.

You won't regret it...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 17, 2006
    asamuel wrote:

I promised myself that I would buy a model body up from the 350D whenever a sale was made. I cannot find a succinct comparison of the two models.

You can use the "Side-by-Side" feature of DPReview to examine the main features of any cameras on their list of reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

Additionally to what Gluwater has told you, which is very accurate, the ideal "photojournalist's camera", right now, is the 1D MKII.

In addition to a weather sealed body (photojournalists shoot in any weather, no?) are much greater sensitivity in low-light, both in the imaging section and the auto-focus section. That, in addition to the rapid-fire 8fps, make this camera body unbeatable for a go-anywhere, do-anything, image-capturing device.

Don't mistake the tools of past photojournalists. Todays world demands images which have a consistant impact and appeal. A newspaper editor doesn't care "who" supplies them with the best images, only that they, the editor, gets a consistant supply of quality imagery. That's what sells papers. Getting the right equipment to acomplish that goal of consistancy is where you need to position your thoughts.

In addition to the camera, you need a backup camera by the way, are lenses; lots and lots of lenses. Lenses to use as interior tools, lenses to use to keep you out of harms way, but able to capture the "action". Lenses to capture the broadest expanse, or minute details. Your diversity as a photographer depends on the diversity of your equipment.

You also need to bring your own light, electronic flash. You can't depend on always having any available light. Much of what you will do, as a photojournalist, is simple documentary; recording events. You may get assignments like "The first baby born in the New Year" or "City officials charged with corruption" and you have to make a photo that works.

Of course, as an "independant" you can shoot what you want. But now you are competing with the "staff" photojournalists as well as other independants. Guess who gets the most work? The staff are the easiest for the managing editor because he directs them and they have the easiest access to him. After that are the "established" independants, photographers the paper has worked with before. At the very bottom are the independant photographers with the interesting shot and story, "that no one else has" but "you" have to convince them that the image and story are compelling enough to print.

My suggestion to you is to work at a local paper first. Learn what "that" paper wants and needs from a photographer. Then study another newspaper's style and see if you can sell to them. Keep that progression going until you have reached your goal, or reached your limit.

There is no camera in the world that can make you into a successful photojournalist. You will have to do that on your own.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Man, if I were you I'd stick with the 350 and buy more glass. There'll always be a better camera coming out, but good lenses always let you do more, especially seeing as your current range seems pretty limited.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    I went with a 30D. I have a 17-40L I may be looking to swap for a 10-22 though...
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:

My suggestion to you is to work at a local paper first. Learn what "that" paper wants and needs from a photographer. Then study another newspaper's style and see if you can sell to them. Keep that progression going until you have reached your goal, or reached your limit.

The one down side to that is that he's in Beijing. I know there are some magazines, etc., aimed at the expat community, but otherwise there's not a lot out there where a foreigner could get a job (and I can't imagine the expat rags pay anything). All things considered, I would be surprised to see the China Daily hire a foreigner.:D

I suspect it would actually be easier for him to become a stringer for a foreign paper. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 17, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    The one down side to that is that he's in Beijing. I know there are some magazines, etc., aimed at the expat community, but otherwise there's not a lot out there where a foreigner could get a job (and I can't imagine the expat rags pay anything). All things considered, I would be surprised to see the China Daily hire a foreigner.:D

I suspect it would actually be easier for him to become a stringer for a foreign paper. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Good points and a great idea. Anything to gain experience.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums