Options

organizing site

leiftvleiftv Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited October 18, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm trying to understand how to organize my photos. This is what i want to do:
1. shoot photos
2. give people my website address
3. they go to the site to get their pics
the pics are of different sports. how do i keep the pics organized?
do i create for example different galleries for different sports. they click on the sport, then how do they find their specific game? are there galleries inside the main gallery or is it categories. i was a little confused on what was what?

Comments

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 17, 2006
    leiftv wrote:
    I'm trying to understand how to organize my photos. This is what i want to do:
    1. shoot photos
    2. give people my website address
    3. they go to the site to get their pics
    the pics are of different sports. how do i keep the pics organized?
    do i create for example different galleries for different sports. they click on the sport, then how do they find their specific game? are there galleries inside the main gallery or is it categories. i was a little confused on what was what?

Hi :)

Our heirarchy goes like this:

Category --> Subcategory --> Gallery --> Images

So, for example, you could use our predefined category of Sports. You could then create a subcategory called "Football." Inside of that subcategory, you could have your galleries for football, i.e., Team A v. Team B (one gallery); Team B v. Team C (one gallery), and so on.

Or, you could create your own category (control panel - categories), called it Football, then have subcategories for the schools or organizations under that, and then the galleries for their games. So, Football (Category); Big Sky High School (Subcategory); Team A v. Team B (gallery).

Either way would work. You need to decide how you want them set up :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    how does that effect how i upload my images? it always asks if i want to create a new album.
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 17, 2006
    leiftv wrote:
    how does that effect how i upload my images? it always asks if i want to create a new album.

You create the gallery first and then upload your photos to that gallery.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    can you make the categories show up when they click galleries. basically i want them to see a baseball, a football, a soccer, etc. category on the gallery page then when they select it it will take them to the galleries of different games? why does the uploader call it an album?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    i assigned the category-sports to the 2 galleries i had and now when you go to the gallery page there are no galleries. how do i have those categories (sports) show up on the gallery page?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    i also created an empty football gallery. how do you delete an empty gallery?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    what i want to see when you hit galleries on the navigaiton bar is:
    football
    baseball
    soccer
    as selections on that page, then when you select the sport you would be taken to another page with all the galleries from that sport.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Also take a good look at "keywords". This allows you to do a search on your site for certain things, like I did for all my fall photos.

So you could create a category called "football". A subcategory called "team A". And then upload the pictures for "Game 1" into that team and game's gallery. But if you have keywords attached, you could even create links in the description to filter it even more - by player, for instance. Or position. Or whatever makes sense for how you shoot!

I think there are other pros that do this so you may want to poke around for sports on SmugMug...

HTH!
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    i want it to be very simple-look at the site and the game will be listed by team name and date-i still don't get how to have it layout like i said earlier.
    choose the sport and be taken to a gallery page with all the games.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    leiftv wrote:
    i want it to be very simple-look at the site and the game will be listed by team name and date-i still don't get how to have it layout like i said earlier.
    choose the sport and be taken to a gallery page with all the games.
    Even if you have a category assigned to a gallery, it won't show up if you're displaying your galleries without categories turned on. On your gallery home page, login, and you'll notice this:
    display: categories · galleries

You want to make sure "categories" is clicked, then it will show categories in which many different galleries can reside. So, for example, you could have:

Homepage
    ---Football
    Team A gallery
    Team B gallery
    ---Baseball
    Game A

In the example above, only Football and Baseball (which are categories, not albums/galleries) would show up on the main page, clicking on football will show Team A and Team B.

etc

When creating the gallery for Team A - make sure it is in the "Football" category and then ensure that the galleries are displayed by "category" and not by "galleries".
    Make sense?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    not sure if i totally follow you. what are the steps? do i create empty galleries? could you show me an example?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    leiftv wrote:
    not sure if i totally follow you. what are the steps? do i create empty galleries? could you show me an example?

Perhaps if you tell me exactly how YOU would like it to be structured (ideally) - then I'd be happy to step you through it!

Meanwhile, check out this section of the help area:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    if you look at my site on the homepage i want it as it is. then the customer would select galleries- that page would have selection for football, baseball, soccer etc. once you click your choice you would be taken to that sports page with all the different galleries (games/teames) on it.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    the way you decribed it earlier sounds good, i need help getting it set up.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    id also like to add the referral code to the bottom of my homepage as well.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    leiftv wrote:
    if you look at my site on the homepage i want it as it is. then the customer would select galleries- that page would have selection for football, baseball, soccer etc. once you click your choice you would be taken to that sports page with all the different galleries (games/teames) on it.

Ok, to start, go to your control panel and select "Categories" under "Organize and Customize". Here, add new categories (Football, Baseball, Soccer, etc). The categories will be what appear when someone clicks "Galleries" on your menu.

Next, go to one of the galleries you have already uploaded and go to the "customize gallery" screen -- to do this, go to the gallery and select "customize gallery" in the tools drop-down under the photo. Next, select the appropriate category from the list. Save your changes. Repeat this for all galleries.

Now, when you're uploading NEW pictures, if they're for a different team or game, create a new gallery - at this time you can select one of the categories you have already created or select an option to create a new one.

Give the above a try - let's see how it goes.

Cameron
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    i will try this. i'll let you know what happens.thanks for the help.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    ok, i created three categories-football, baseball, soccer. i went into customize galleries and made the appropriate category change. went to the gallery page and selected show categories and now when you fo to the gallery page it says there are no
    www.fleetingmomentsonline.com/Galleries
    what did i do wrong?
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    leiftv wrote:
    ok, i created three categories-football, baseball, soccer. i went into customize galleries and made the appropriate category change. went to the gallery page and selected show categories and now when you fo to the gallery page it says there are no
    www.fleetingmomentsonline.com/Galleries
    what did i do wrong?

You have your main gallery page displaying the slideshow. Before you adjusted your categories, you had a category called "galleries" - clicking on your menu item took you to your galleries category. Now your main category page (homepage) is replaced by the slideshow. I know there are ways around this - I'll look into it but perhaps someone else could jump in and help who has already done this.. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    hope this can be done. thanks.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    leiftv wrote:
    hope this can be done. thanks.
    done :D