Snap shots in Morocco

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited October 18, 2006 in People
People in Morocco doesn't like to be photographed. Sophisticated techniques have to adopted...:wink
with rather good and surprising results ...:D
A technique to implemented and improved...

103344602-M.jpg103343890-M.jpg103343570-M.jpg103342216-M.jpg103341501-M.jpg103340979-M.jpg103340251-M.jpg103339632-M.jpg
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    There was 2 missing which I do like...
    103338025-M.jpg103338592-M.jpg
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Snap shots

ne_nau.gif
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Antonio,
    Must be hard work trying to get pictures out of people who don't want to be photographed. I've had the same problem myself.
    To me a lot of the pictures are interesting because it is somewhere that I am so far removed from but they don't grab my attention.
    I see that you are trying to use the rule of thirds but its just not working for me. The subjects aren't doing anything engaging. I think that you should try using a telephoto lens and getting close in from further away. Catching people, even close up of people working on things with their hands- and elminating the face.
    The picture I do like is number four- I like the way the woman on the left is looking right at you. It's interesting. I heard that getting a great photograph is all about waiting for the exact right moment to shot. I think the scene you are choosing are good but you've shot to early or too late and maybe not at the right angle.
    Oh, and may I say- Owen if you are going to comment please comment. You come off as a bit nit-picky and unhelpful in many of your posts. Maybe you could try better explaining yourself to the recipient of your words so they can try to improve (that's a critique, use as you will).
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    As far as I'm concerned, "snap shots" defines what I think about these photos pretty well.

No one said we had to offer anything constructive, nor that we couldn't express how we felt about these shots. In my opinion, they look like they were taken hastily, trigger-fingering everything in a new environment. They have no appeal to me, offer me nothing but insight into another culture/country, but I have seen many better travel photos. Not only that, but 8 photos of the same thing - presumably the same situation - makes these "snapshots" appear even more so. If he had selected the best, spent some time in post production to make the color rendition a bit better and more vibrant, it would turn these shots into something much more interesting and worth commenting on. I think this forum should be about people posting their best work.. and if that means choosing 1 picture out of 500 - so be it. I don't know about you or anyone else, but I tire of seeing posts of 5 - 10 pictures of the same thing, in the same place, with absolutely nothing engaging in them. Don't post snapshots, because they are just that -- snapshots.

I'd also like to direct you to the Journey's forum, which is where I believe this should be posted. They could benefit from some sort of narrative or story.
    edited October 18, 2006
    Antonio,
    Must be hard work trying to get pictures out of people who don't want to be photographed. I've had the same problem myself...
    I see that you are trying to use the rule of thirds but its just not working for me. The subjects aren't doing anything engaging. I think that you should try using a telephoto lens and getting close in from further away...
    The picture I do like is number four- I like the way the woman on the left is looking right at you. It's interesting. I heard that getting a great photograph is all about waiting for the exact right moment to shot. I think the scene you are choosing are good but you've shot to early or too late and maybe not at the right angle...
    Thank you for the comment. It is useful. It's the first time I try to do something like this: camera at the height of the belt and shoot guessing the angles
    May be I was too excited about the results and processed and post too many.ne_nau.gif
    May be it's so. I am aware that the photos are not perfectly sharp. The focus was at the center and it should be automatic.
    I think it is not an obligation to have people looking at the camera when get this kind or any other kind of shots.

I like the composition of the two last pictures. The man bended, the moment, the woman in black at the right.
    After all it's a snap shot!

I googled about what a snap shot is and I found this:
    SNAPSHOT - An informal photograph, especially one taken quickly by a simple, hand-held camera. at http://photographytips.com/page.cfm/2088

and
    In a general sense, a snapshot is a brief glimpse of something. It also has several specific technical meanings:

* Snap shot, a shot from a firearm that is aimed and fired quickly
    * Snapshot (photography), a photograph that is taken in a short moment of opportunity
    * Snapshot algorithm, a …
    at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapshot

Just in case I was wrong about the concept.
    Under this perspective I see no reason for the yelling of Owen !

The failed encounter (meeting) of two cultures on photo 5 where the girls are looking at us and the european (a french ), white, christian or supposed to be, looking to the right, to the outside of the picture, refusing the other culture simbolically.

These arguments I am not getting them now.
    I saw them the moment I was croping the pic, not taking it !

In the 1.st pic the young lady driving a bicycle and the woman carying a weight going in opposite directions...

The mistery of the 7.th and the market in action on the 8.th.
    Well, just arguments in favour of my photos.
    There may be - and here are - many against.

Regards and all the best to you.thumb.gif
    (Now, I am going to write to Owen)
    edited October 18, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned, "snap shots" defines what I think about these photos pretty well.

No one said we had to offer anything constructive, nor that we couldn't express how we felt about these shots. In my opinion, they look like they were taken hastily, trigger-fingering everything in a new environment. They have no appeal to me, offer me nothing but insight into another culture/country, but I have seen many better travel photos. Not only that, but 8 photos of the same thing - presumably the same situation - makes these "snapshots" appear even more so. If he had selected the best, spent some time in post production to make the color rendition a bit better and more vibrant, it would turn these shots into something much more interesting and worth commenting on. I think this forum should be about people posting their best work.. and if that means choosing 1 picture out of 500 - so be it. I don't know about you or anyone else, but I tire of seeing posts of 5 - 10 pictures of the same thing, in the same place, with absolutely nothing engaging in them. Don't post snapshots, because they are just that -- snapshots.

I'd also like to direct you to the Journey's forum, which is where I believe this should be posted. They could benefit from some sort of narrative or story.
    Qwen,
    Thank you for the comment.
    I am sure you are going to read the previous post I wrote to thegreenegg about what a snap shot is.
    You know, English is not my native language and I was not absolutely sure was a snap shot was... I am now after reading what I quoted previously.

Probably you like best my other snapshots I posted here .
    or even which are in my home page here and the next 12 pics for example.
    Do you like this ?
    They were shot with the 70-200 IS with 1.4 II multiplier, at the distance.

Allow me to make a suggestion: post here one of your snapshots.
    For us to see what you consider to be a good work.

I have not - yet - seen your page but I am going to.

I just saw it and I think the problem is that is are used to look only at beautifull young women :D:D:D:D

BTW: You are perfectly aware that your avatar is upside down.
    Or... the other way around ?

All the best to you. thumb.gif
    I am no: we are waiting, we anger to see your snaps. Be my guest !! :D
    I can hardly wait :D
    edited October 18, 2006
    Is this a snapshot ?
    Yes.
    Is the person looking at the photographer ?
    No.
    edited October 18, 2006
    We know who shot these pictures, don't we ?
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Well I guess I'll pipe in with my "opinion" now, which is after all what this forum is for. I'm surprised that you are belaboring this issue over one individual expressing his opinion. Not everyone will agree with our work, and if we display our work in a public forum, we have to expect that some people may not like it.

With that said, the two images that you just posted are vastly different from the photos that you submitted. To me the composition alone is more artistic. The lighting and the post editing on these images make these more of a piece of art to me than just a photo. There appears to have been more thought put into the image as opposed to just holding a camera at waist height and snapping a picture. Again, just one man's opinion.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
    edited October 18, 2006
    Dramatapix,
    I do accept critique.
    I do accept you (whoever) don't like what I shoot.
    But I can give my point of view on someone's post on my own pictures...
    Thank you for the comment. You did very well expressing your opinion.
    thumb.gif
    :D