bug in "Make 2nd copy"?

jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited December 20, 2006 in SmugMug Support
i have seen this twice. not sure if it is a coincidence or not.

i regularly use "make 2nd copy" to make a new copy of an image and move it to a separate highlight folder.

recently i notice that the first "make 2nd copy" does do anything. and after i waited a little while and try again, two copies shows up at the same time. i wonder if the result of the first "make 2nd copy" got stuck somewhere and got flushed out at the second call.

this is mildly annoying as i end up having to delete the extra copy again.

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    I had the same problem Sunday night, however I was copying two images to another gallery. I did the first "make 2nd copy" and waited for it to appear... nothing. So I did the second image "make 2nd copy" and nearly immediately after both copies showed up and I moved them... I didn't make two copies of one image so I didn't need to delete one like you did. I just thought it was part of the Sunday night slowdown that always seems to go on around smugmug...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    I think it's just a matter of delayed processing... Making a second copy is, essentially, the same as uploading a new image and there is processing time involved.
  • jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    i am still seeing this problem. it seems that sometimes a "make 2nd copy" image will get stuck until another "make 2nd copy" comes in and makes it show up.

this is the sequence i did.

1) "make 2nd copy" for photo.
    2) waited 5 mins, doing lots of refresh to see if new copy appears
    3) "make 2nd copy" again for same photo. 2 new copies appears immediately.

this is not a processing delay as the probability for the process time of 1) coinciding with the finishing time of 3) to be *exactly* the same on every try is almost 0.
    edited November 15, 2006
    I had the same problem last night (Tuesday). The 2nd copy had not appeared for a number of minutes and I had to go, so I just gave up and moved the original copy to a new gallery. When I returned home several hours later, the 2nd copy was finally available in the original gallery.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    Sorry guys, I cannot reproduce. We'll keep trying.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    I just went in and did a random add 2nd copy and it worked this time. Though in the past fews weeks it's only worked about 20% of the time. If the first one doesn't show and I make a copy of another pic or same one, both new copies will then appear.

Then I deleted the 2nd copy and it still shows. Refreshed the page and now thumbnail is replaced with text.
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/133452/1/110663092

I remember seeing this text (image link) a few times lately and it eventually goes away. The bug might be the image is deleted but the link is not cleared.

Just my observations
    Al

Edit: Logged out and the thumbnail text switched to the first position from the second position.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited November 15, 2006
    Allen wrote:
    Then I deleted the 2nd copy and it still shows. Refreshed the page and now thumbnail is replaced with text.

I see the "text" image at your above page...

Last night I had a similar issue. I deleted an image in one gallery, the image was gone, but a box remained in the thumbnail list, I could click on it and a blank big box would display. I deleted it a second time and the empty box went away.

Then I did the same thing in another gallery. The exact same thing happened. There are some strange things going on around SmugMug.

I haven't tried deleting any images since so I don't know if it is still happening.
    edited November 15, 2006
    I made a 2nd copy of this awhile ago and still waiting for it to show.
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/2129247/1/110226433
    I'll leave it for now and not add another 2nd copy, interested if it will eventually show up.
    Al

Edit: ...Deleted photo thumbnail is replaced with text link ....
    I gave the text a green thumbs up in lightbox and added two comments. rolleyes1.gif
    Even got two emails confirming the comments.
    But it didn't show up in the most popular gallery. ne_nau.gif

Edit2: Found the 2nd copy, it showed up in the timeline gallery as the last photo added.
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/date/2006-10-16/2006-11-15/13/110668132
    Even "see photo in gallery" takes me to right gallery but no photo.
    But not in the gallery yet. http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/2129247/1/110226433

Edit: New day and the deleted photo link is now gone. The 2nd
    copy also shows up now. Just took quite a while to finish.
  • jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    thanks for the confirmation, Allen, i am glad i am not hallucinating. can be a problem with too much food intake during the holiday season. ;)

i noticed a similar problem with arranging galleries in a subcategory. the first try sometimes do not succeed, and then when i try again, it goes through.

it looks like SM is dropping these requests, a bug??
    edited November 27, 2006
    jmpsmash wrote:
    i noticed a similar problem with arranging galleries in a subcategory. the first try sometimes do not succeed, and then when i try again, it goes through.
    I see that all the time, have to arrange galleries on a sub-cat page
    a couple times before it takes. Esp. if a new added gallery is moved
    to top.
    Al
    edited December 6, 2006
    Make 2nd Copy issue still occurring
    I made a 2nd copy of a photo today at 10:51am, 30 minutes later it's still not showing up. Based on previous reports here, I found the 2nd copy at the latest photo in the timeline and clicking on "see photo in gallery" takes me to the correct gallery but the 2nd copy of the photo is not there. I will send complete details to help@smugmug but just wanted to post this here that the issue is still occurring. It appears the 2nd copy is made without problems, it's just not getting linked into the gallery index correctly.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    If you make another second copy, the first second copy will show up, and you will, in fact, have three copies.

I have been doing that for a bit now. No "second copies", only 1 "copy" or three "copies". The orig second copy shows up immediately upon "ordering" the second second copy.

That should be easy to follow now. And, I was actually thinking that smugmug had not been down in a long time, no bugs. I am thinking that it is normal to have the second copy not show up.

Also, the communities, such as Dailies and dGrin are messed up today. Commenting, thumbs, etc, no way to get a photo on them. Except for one or two, don't know where they came from.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited December 7, 2006
    I also found if you make a 2nd copy of another they will both show
    up most times.
    Al
  • olegosolegos Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    I'm seeing this bug pretty often too.

And another thing that's very annoying to me with this copy feature, is that I always want to move the new copy into another gallery, while leaving the old one. And it's very difficult to do. Sometimes the new copy is before the original, and sometimes after. As a result, the stats are messed up -- in a brand new album some photos have a large number of hits, while in the old one some photos have been ignored ne_nau.gif

And in the interim, while making copies of the photos one at a time, and figuring out which ones to move, visitors see dupes... and who knows what they see when the dupes are moved (skipping some photos? moving to the new album? Ok, I've just tested it. If someone is looking at a photo, and the photo that the "Next" link points to gets moved to another gallery, then when clicking "Next", the visitor jumps to the new gallery! Totally Unacceptable!)

Summary: "Make 2nd copy" feature sucks!

The good news is that there is a simple fix that will alleviate most of these problems: just ask what gallery the new copy should go to. The bad news though, is that I'm not sure SM is listening. I think this is the 3rd time I'm making this speech.
    edited December 8, 2006
    olegos wrote:

We're sorry. I was able to make 2nd copy on your site just now. And on mine. First try, no issue. But we want to find out why the feature isn't working for you.

To all Make 2nd Copy Bug Reporters:

Please reply back to this post, with gallery & photo link, and browser, version used.

Thanks.
    edited December 8, 2006
    olegos wrote:
    I'm seeing this bug pretty often too.

And another thing that's very annoying to me with this copy feature, is that I always want to move the new copy into another gallery, while leaving the old one. And it's very difficult to do. Sometimes the new copy is before the original, and sometimes after. As a result, the stats are messed up -- in a brand new album some photos have a large number of hits, while in the old one some photos have been ignored ne_nau.gif

And in the interim, while making copies of the photos one at a time, and figuring out which ones to move, visitors see dupes... and who knows what they see when the dupes are moved (skipping some photos? moving to the new album? Ok, I've just tested it. If someone is looking at a photo, and the photo that the "Next" link points to gets moved to another gallery, then when clicking "Next", the visitor jumps to the new gallery! Totally Unacceptable!)

The good news is that there is a simple fix that will alleviate most of these problems: just ask what gallery the new copy should go to. The bad news though, is that I'm not sure SM is listening. I think this is the 3rd time I'm making this speech.
    Ya hit the nail on the head, exactly way it works here. The only way I
    found to see which photo is new one is go into edit keyword/caption bulk
    and look at file names. And if there are a bunch of new 2nd copies to move,
    trying to the remember which ones are first and which ones are second is
    very confusing.

What's needed besides 2nd copy is "move 2nd copy" in drop down tools.
    AL
    edited December 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Please reply back to this post, with gallery & photo link, and browser, version used.
    I've already sent the exact steps and results (including image IDs of both the original and copy and the gallery ID) to help, which they say they forwarded to the engineers. The browser doesn't matter as I've tested on Windows XP with both Firefox 1.x and IE6. And I've ruled out page caching.

The 2nd copy is properly created, it can be found as the latest entry in the timeline, and then using the image ID you can view the image directly and in context of the gallery, however the 2nd copy does not show up in the gallery thumbnail list or image count for the gallery. The process is breaking server side after making the copy and before it gets added to the gallery index. Probably a syncronization issue someone.

Hope this helps.
    edited December 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I was able to make 2nd copy on your site just now. And on mine. First try, no issue. But we want to find out why the feature isn't working for you.
    It's working most of the time. I could be going through a gallery making 2nd copies, and this could be happening once in 10 copies. Sometimes more often, like every other one, sometimes less.

WindowsXP, Firefox 1.5.

Allright, here you go. Gallery <http://olegos.smugmug.com/gallery/2008882>. I went in and started making 2nd copies of photos starting with the second one. The first copy worked, the very next one didn't. I'm going to leave this gallery for you in this state for now. This gallery now should have 7 photos, with two sets of dupes (2&3, 4&5). You will probably see only 6 photos, with no copy of #4. I did this in Firefox, but I now went to this gallery in IE, and I see the same thing.
    edited December 9, 2006
    Andy, I see that the missing copy in that gallery is now not missing any more. Did it appear on its own, or did something get fixed, or was it you experimenting? (I know that at least a few hours after I've posted here, it was still missing, and I haven't touched anything.)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We're sorry. I was able to make 2nd copy on your site just now. And on mine. First try, no issue. But we want to find out why the feature isn't working for you.

To all Make 2nd Copy Bug Reporters:

Thanks.

I just noticed this thread. I can confirm the symptoms: Make 2nd copy (which used to work immediately) now is delayed significantly and may require making a 3rd copy to work at all. It's too late for me to give you a specific example (but I will next time it happens). I am using Firefox 2.0 under Win2K.
    edited December 16, 2006
    We're sorry guys, it's been bugged to our engineers. I can't say when they'll fix it but I know it will be fixed.
    edited December 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We're sorry guys, it's been bugged to our engineers. I can't say when they'll fix it but I know it will be fixed.

Update: I used it today and had no problem. Hope it stays fixed.

Thanks.
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Update: I used it today and had no problem. Hope it stays fixed.

Thanks.

I've had this happen to me several times, but I haven't bothered with make 2nd copy for a while now so I can't say if the problem persists or not, but I hope it is fixed.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

edited December 19, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    I've had this happen to me several times, but I haven't bothered with make 2nd copy for a while now so I can't say if the problem persists or not, but I hope it is fixed.

Nope. Happened again today. Seems to intermittent. I believe the current term for that class of problems is Heisenbugs. Like the blues, if you have to ask you're never going to know. :D
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Happens for me every time i use it!

first 2nd copy does nothing then when I choose a different image and do a 2nd copy, Both 2nd copies appear. its fine unless i only want to do one 2nd copy!
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
    edited December 20, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Happens for me every time i use it!

first 2nd copy does nothing then when I choose a different image and do a 2nd copy, Both 2nd copies appear. its fine unless i only want to do one 2nd copy!

You may be on the right track here, Stustaff. When it worked for me the other day, I had made copies of two images before I moved them. Since it also works when you make two copies of the same image, it would seem that the problem is in making only a single copy.