is there a way to do this?

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited October 18, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have a wedding with tons of pictures. I do not want the gallery to be public. I would like to split the images into 3 galleries: church, formals, reception.

My favorite way would be if I could have 3 thumbnails they could see on one page, but if the galleries are private, putting them in a sub-category doesn't help.

My current working idea is to have a gallery with a single journal image and 3 hyperlinks links in the caption to 3 different galleries.

Is there a better way?

thanks!
Trish

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Sharegroups maybe?

I had the same thing going for a friends wedding pictures.
    I used the BWG's slide show as an entrance to the wedding galleries.
    Inside I had four galleries of pictures all linked together with a navBar.
    All the galleries were private, and all you have to do is give out the entrance gallery address.
    I modified the wedding theme as a base for the gallery's look.
    I also removed my site's breadcrumbs, footer and banner for a cleaner look.
    edit: After thought.
    Your link idea is good too. Place the same links in all of the galleries. So the vistors can navigate between the galleries. Maybe remove your site breadcrumbs so the vistors don't get lost..
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    richW wrote:
    Sharegroups maybe?

I had the same thing going for a friends wedding pictures.
    I used the BWG's slide show as an entrance to the wedding galleries.
    Inside I had four galleries of pictures all linked together with a navBar.
    All the galleries were private, and all you have to do is give out the entrance gallery address.
    I modified the wedding theme as a base for the gallery's look.
    I also removed my site's breadcrumbs, footer and banner for a cleaner look.
    edit: After thought.
    Your link idea is good too. Place the same links in all of the galleries. So the vistors can navigate between the galleries. Maybe remove your site breadcrumbs so the vistors don't get lost..
    I've never set up a slideshow or a navbar before. My deadline is looming and I'm still editing images. I don't know that I'm going to be able to swing all that. Maybe my next wedding wedding will get "the works". Looks like this one's getting the dumb old hyperlinks in the caption.

I was hoping there was a smugmug option I was unaware of.

Thanks for your ideas!
    Trish
    edited October 17, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    Looks like this one's getting the dumb old hyperlinks in the caption.
    At least this will give you something to think about. The Bride & Groom will not know the difference. All they want is their pictures. Good Luck
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    richW wrote:
    At least this will give you something to think about. The Bride & Groom will not know the difference. All they want is their pictures. Good Luck
    Agree. And Trish - if you want a navbar setup, you can have one tomorrow - email the help desk for Ivar, he's on European time, he'll work one up while you're sleeping if you wish.
    edited October 17, 2006
    richW wrote:

Hey, how do I remove the breadcrumbs for just one gallery? I looked here and didn't see it: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26043

thanks!
    Trish
    edited October 17, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    Hey, how do I remove the breadcrumbs for just one gallery?
    .gallery_XXXXXX #breadcrumb {display: none;}
    Replace the x's with the gallery number..
    edited October 18, 2006
    thanks!
    Andy wrote:
    Agree. And Trish - if you want a navbar setup, you can have one tomorrow - email the help desk for Ivar, he's on European time, he'll work one up while you're sleeping if you wish.

Thanks so much for the overnight offer Andy! I had to get the bride her photos by yesterday, so I went with the hyperlinklinks. But I've got another wedding I'm putting together for next week, I'd love to try a navbar for that.

-Trish
    edited October 18, 2006
    can I rename files?
    One more unrelated question:

I am sorting by filename because of the sheer number of files. I'd like to move a few. Is there a way to rename the files? Or do I have to re-upload.

thanks!
    Trish
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    One more unrelated question:

I am sorting by filename because of the sheer number of files. I'd like to move a few. Is there a way to rename the files? Or do I have to re-upload.

thanks!
    Trish
    Hi Trish,

You can't rename the original filenames, I'm sorry. If you wish to use the filenames as a way of sorting, you'd have to re-upload. I'm sorry. We never touch the originals, except for one instance, where the photos are not in sRGB colorspace.
    edited October 18, 2006
    remove "your preferred size" from a single gallery
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Trish,

You can't rename the original filenames, I'm sorry. If you wish to use the filenames as a way of sorting, you'd have to re-upload. I'm sorry. We never touch the originals, except for one instance, where the photos are not in sRGB colorspace.

Thanks Ivar, it's only a few, so it's not a problem. I thought that was my last question, but I have one more.

Do you know how I remove the words "your preferred size S M L O" for a single gallery?

thanks!
    Trish
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    Thanks Ivar, it's only a few, so it's not a problem. I thought that was my last question, but I have one more.

Do you know how I remove the words "your preferred size S M L O" for a single gallery?

thanks!
    Trish
    Well, yes and no. You can remove the entire line by using something like this:

.gallery_1449564 #sizePicker { display: none; }

But if you want to remove only the second part, some scripting will need to be done i think.
    edited October 18, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Well, yes and no. You can remove the entire line by using something like this:

.gallery_1449564 #sizePicker { display: none; }

But if you want to remove only the second part, some scripting will need to be done i think.

ok thanks. i'll go with the entire line for now.

cheers!
    trish