Fuji F30 - Got One

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited October 20, 2006 in Cameras
I broke down and bought a new 'walking around' camera. I kept hearing good things about the Fuji F30. It goes all the way up to ISO 3200. I really wanted something that handled low light better...and I think this is the best P&S so far for that. And the price was perfect too. I need more time to play and take photos, but so far it's a nice improvement I think over my previous walking around camera, the Nikon Coolpix 4600. I use my Nikon D200 for anything serious. Still can't top that with a P&S for speed, etc.

The F30 starts up REALLY fast and is ready to take pictures before you know it. Also it has only a tiny bit of shutter lag. Much quicker than my Nikon 4600.

Here's a just playing photo. Shot in B&W mode and slightly touched up afterwards. ISO 800, f/2.8, no flash

103494187-L.jpg

Here are a few shots I took of the Nikon 4600 - ISO 100 on tripod and custom white balance. The camera in the photo is sitting on a white piece of paper under a table lamp.

103392146-L.jpg

103392160-L.jpg

This one has been cropped and converted to sepia tone. Playing with the new camera in the elevator at work. :)

103511358-L.jpg

Comments

• kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    A couple different seats with the new F30 ;)

Seat with not such a great view...you can probably figure this one out.

103725711-L.jpg

Somewhat better view :) This one worked out well with spot metering and setting sun.

103621924-L.jpg
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    So, are you planning on renaming your Smugmug site Nikon-Fujifilm-photog?

rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 19, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    So, are you planning on renaming your Smugmug site Nikon-Fujifilm-photog?

rolleyes1.gif

Nah....I'll leave it as is :D I have to admit though, this little Fuji is a great camera all around. The reviews I've seen speak highly of it too...especially the one on dpreview. I'm going to try to force myself to keep playing with it to get the most out of it's photos...but that D200 keeps calling me too. Maybe this weekend I'll spend a little time with the Nikon so he doesn't get jealous.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 19, 2006
    I'm always a little nervous about having a camera out in a restroom or locker-room.:eek1

The outdoor bench is sweet and has a warmth I don't normally associate with a P&S. Good stuff, I'd like to see more. Maybe church interiors or library perhaps?

(I bet Shay is still salivating for this camera.artist.gif)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 19, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm always a little nervous about having a camera out in a restroom or locker-room.:eek1

The outdoor bench is sweet and has a warmth I don't normally associate with a P&S. Good stuff, I'd like to see more. Maybe church interiors or library perhaps?

(I bet Shay is still salivating for this camera.artist.gif)

ziggy53

Thanks :) It was early in the morning and no one was around. I get in at 5:30am at work (where the locker room photos were taken).

I'm still looking for more opportunities to use the camera more. It's raining outside today so I couldn't get outside for any today. I've seen some really nice galleries of F30 photos on other sites. It seems to be sort of an unknown camera to the rest of the world, but to the low-light seekers, it's a big hit since it has THE best high ISO photos in a P&S (see the dpreview full review for tests..amazing). That bench photo was pretty much straight from the camera. I may have tweaked the levels just a hair, but hardly any editing was done at all to it. And I think it was even auto white balance.
    edited October 20, 2006
    Alright...playing around at work early again :) By the way, everything I've posted is handheld. I have a tripod but 99% of the time I'm too lazy to use it!

ISO 800 on this one. EXIF:
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=103931887

103931887-L.jpg

These are not from today...but from yesterday or the day before.
    EXIF: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=103621827

103621827-L.jpg

EXIF: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=103590190

103590190-L.jpg

And I also posted these 2 new shots from last night in another thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=45329