File Name as Caption Problem

chnchn Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited November 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
My filing scheme is to use the file names to describe the pictures. In general smugmug works great as you can elect the filename to be displayed if no caption is specified. *cool*

However when I get pictures from a canon camera this does not work since the caption "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" is automatically created on upload. I checked the exif of these files and they contain an exif parm "ImageDescription" with that value. If smugmug uses that to automatically create the image caption then this is really uncool. Could that be changed?

Comments

• AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    chn wrote:
    My filing scheme is to use the file names to describe the pictures. In general smugmug works great as you can elect the filename to be displayed if no caption is specified. *cool*

However when I get pictures from a canon camera this does not work since the caption "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" is automatically created on upload. I checked the exif of these files and they contain an exif parm "ImageDescription" with that value. If smugmug uses that to automatically create the image caption then this is really uncool. Could that be changed?

Hi Chn wave.gif,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you can empty all your captions in just a few clicks. Go to the "Edit captions/keywords (bulk)" photo tool. Then click "empty" "all" "captions" at the top. And presto! Your filenames will show up because there won't be any captions.

-Anne
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 18, 2006
    chn,
    Please give us a link to your galleries.

If I understand what you wrote, you are seeing "Olympus Digital Camera" as a caption (or did you mean filename?) under images uploaded from a Canon camera. This is pretty odd to begin with.

It would help us, to help you if we could see exactly what you mean. :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • chnchn Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Hi Chn wave.gif,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you can empty all your captions in just a few clicks. Go to the "Edit captions/keywords (bulk)" photo tool. Then click "empty" "all" "captions" at the top. And presto! Your filenames will show up because there won't be any captions.

-Anne

It's not quite what I'd like but it's a good way to deal with the problem till it's fixed. Thanks for the tip.
    edited October 18, 2006
    chn,
    Please give us a link to your galleries.

If I understand what you wrote, you are seeing "Olympus Digital Camera" as a caption (or did you mean filename?) under images uploaded from a Canon camera. This is pretty odd to begin with.

It would help us, to help you if we could see exactly what you mean. :D

Steve

Yes, it's in the caption. That is why the file name doesn't get displayed.

It's a private gallery and not something that should be accessible to the public. So, no I can't supply a link. Best I can do is this screen short:
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/103561940-O.jpg
    edited October 18, 2006
    chn,
    Please see the PM I sent you. :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 18, 2006
    CHN,
    No problem. The camera that was used was an Oly. So that it says "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" isn't so strange now. I am not sure why there are no filenames available ne_nau.gif As you point out, the Nikon pics you uploaded do not have this issue.

Looks like only the first Pic has the "Oly" problem. You can edit this caption using photo tools. http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-album

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 18, 2006
    CHN,
    No problem. The camera that was used was an Oly. So that it says "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" isn't so strange now. I am not sure why there are no filenames available ne_nau.gif As you point out, the Nikon pics you uploaded do not have this issue.
    No it isn't strange that it says "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA". What is strange is that smugmug takes that from the exif and uses it as the caption.
    Looks like only the first Pic has the "Oly" problem. You can edit this caption using photo tools. http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-album

Steve
    The other picture had the same issue. I just fixed them via AnneMcBean instructions.
    edited October 18, 2006
    chn wrote:
    No it isn't strange that it says "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA". What is strange is that smugmug takes that from the exif and uses it as the caption.

Yeah, that is strange and as I mentioned, I have seen it before. That this only seems to happens with images from Oly cameras is odd. headscratch.gif I will check into this.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 19, 2006
    Thanks Steve!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Yeah, that is strange and as I mentioned, I have seen it before. That this only seems to happens with images from Oly cameras is odd. headscratch.gif I will check into this.

Steve
    SmugMug reads IPTC tags which can be entered via alot of programs now. It uses the caption and keyword fields to respectively create the caption and keywords. If there is no caption, it leaves the caption blank and can use the filename instead. The problem here is that your camera puts unwanted text in the caption, and SmugMug sees this, and uses this as a caption. Besides Anne's solution, there is very little you and I can do about this. I've seen similar behaviour on certain editing software as well.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    chn wrote:
    ...this does not work since the caption "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA"...

Just to commiserate with you, my old Minolta Dimage does this too... as suggested, I just bulk edit the captions... Luckily I don't use the Dimage anymore, but I do upload old images captured by it... Anyway, it's not Smugmug's fault, the camera is just using the exif incorrectly IMO.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited November 7, 2006
    I still think smugmug could not use the exif information. Even better would be a feature to enable/disable exif usage for image comments. I guess some people might actually prefere the way it is currently.