lilah, eight weeks old

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited October 19, 2006 in People
I've only been doing photography as a side business for a few months. So I was very nervous when my company's CEO commissioned me for her granddaughters first portraits. Thought I'd share a few. Critiques very welcome!
101179946-M.jpg
101179974-M.jpg
103502863-M.jpg
103502128-M.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    I can't believe no one has commented on these yet! I LOVE these. they're so good!!!!!!!!!!!!! so clear, such greay captures, you should have some happy customers!

I'd have commented sooner, but I've been UBER busy lately.

nice job!!!!!!

- RE

clap.gif
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    GREAT pictures, love everything about these!

At first the one on the table made me go 'huh whats going on' and just forced me to look at the image, good work.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    I just love the last two! I would love to see a closer crop on the last one, though... Really bring out the wonderful relationship without the window (?) in the background. That's an awesome photo!

The first two I like, but I'm wanting to run forward to catch the baby! Laughing.gif! They are really wonderful from a technical and artistic perspective, but they seem a bit "cold" to me. Like that poor lonely baby was left perched somewhere.... But I thought that (lonely feeling) of another shot someone had of a baby on some stone stairs and everyone else LOVED it! Laughing.gif! So don't take my word! :D

Let us know what your CEO thought - and the parents, too! Awesome photos!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    I can't believe no one has commented on these yet! I LOVE these. they're so good!!!!!!!!!!!!! so clear, such greay captures, you should have some happy customers!

I'd have commented sooner, but I've been UBER busy lately.

nice job!!!!!!

- RE

clap.gif

Thank you so much! I was really having trouble with focusing that day and there weren't very many that turned out. Thanks for commenting!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited October 18, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    GREAT pictures, love everything about these!

At first the one on the table made me go 'huh whats going on' and just forced me to look at the image, good work.

yeah, its a little odd, I'm trying some new things...I shoot in clients homes, so I walk around when I get there and work with what I find...sometimes it works sometimes not! thanks for your comments. :)
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited October 18, 2006
    I just love the last two! I would love to see a closer crop on the last one, though... Really bring out the wonderful relationship without the window (?) in the background. That's an awesome photo!

The first two I like, but I'm wanting to run forward to catch the baby! Laughing.gif! They are really wonderful from a technical and artistic perspective, but they seem a bit "cold" to me. Like that poor lonely baby was left perched somewhere.... But I thought that (lonely feeling) of another shot someone had of a baby on some stone stairs and everyone else LOVED it! Laughing.gif! So don't take my word! :D

Let us know what your CEO thought - and the parents, too! Awesome photos!

Thanks Andi, I have practically lived on your site since I discovered it a few days ago. I love to find new inspiring child photogs and you're so incredibly talented, I'm flattered by your comments! :)

I do hear what you're saying about some approachs reading cold, but its a trendy business, just stretching myself lately to see what works. I sent the link today and will let you all know if the mom & grandma have feedback!

here's a different crop/edit of the same bench shot, its warmer but I just didn't find it as visually striking....curious what you all think
    101180067-M.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Not keen on it in colour as the wallpaper seems a bit close to the baby colour, and prefer your first choice of crop!

This one gives no context and is less striking.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    Thanks Andi, I have practically lived on your site since I discovered it a few days ago. I love to find new inspiring child photogs and you're so incredibly talented, I'm flattered by your comments! :)

I do hear what you're saying about some approachs reading cold, but its a trendy business, just stretching myself lately to see what works. I sent the link today and will let you all know if the mom & grandma have feedback!

here's a different crop/edit of the same bench shot, its warmer but I just didn't find it as visually striking....curious what you all think

Wow! I'm sort of dumbfounded. eek7.gif Thank you SO much for your kind words! Seriously.... I didn't realize anyone felt like that about my pictures!

Anyway, I completely understand what you mean by "trendy"! Laughing.gif! What I meant by cold was more "lonely" than anything. I went back through and looked again at the photos and I think your first rendition is much better! It is so much more visually striking and the B&W conversion is really well done - definitely go with the first one! (Thanks for posting the second one, though. It's fun to see the different shots and see why you made a certain choice!)

Thanks again...

And I am sure the family will love the photos you took!
  • MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Ok, so I love these shots. Trendy is in, no doubt about it. Though it's so tough to let the little one just lay there and not panic, but what amazing shots come out of it. My heart melts when I look at the last image. I agree with photogmomma on the crop, I'd crop out the distraction of the window. It's the expression on dad's face that completely draws you in and just makes you think "awwwww".... These are great and if your clients aren't absolutely thrilled, they've lost they're minds, because these are lovely images.

I like the first image in black and white better than the revised.

Great job and thanks for sharing.

Shooting on location in someone's home can be very interesting and very difficult, you did a great job taking what you have to work with and making it work perfectly!
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com
    www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    :Diloveyou.gif vey cool series just amaizng and very cute baby iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    I hope you don't mind, I tried my hand at what I saw as a crop.

103690595-M.jpg
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com
    www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
    edited October 19, 2006
    MyView wrote:
    I hope you don't mind, I tried my hand at what I saw as a crop.

103690595-M.jpg

I like the crop! thanks!

if anyone is curious on the bench shots, the mom was kneeling 6 inches from it...there are several with her hand in them, on the baby! but when they can't roll over yet they stay fairly still...:)

thanks all for the wonderful comments!

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI