Options

Reading Stats Question

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited October 21, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Question regarding the Stats page - what "hits" really count? I opened a regular account late summer and just switched to the Pro account about 2 weeks ago (had 1 sale aready - my wife is happy :D ). Should I really only pay attention to the S, M, L & O hits?

Also (and I know this is extremely subjective), but what is a decent "average" number of hits. Just trying to see if what I am doing to promote the site is working - or if I need to do more & different.

Total for all Galleries: "October"
statsgraph.mg?tiny=49302&thumb=2432&small=1066&medium=11101&large=3693&original=440Hits: 68034 C. Ratio: ~31% Bytes: 2.1 GB
Thanks
Michael

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Question regarding the Stats page - what "hits" really count? I opened a regular account late summer and just switched to the Pro account about 2 weeks ago (had 1 sale aready - my wife is happy :D ). Should I really only pay attention to the S, M, L & O hits?

Also (and I know this is extremely subjective), but what is a decent "average" number of hits. Just trying to see if what I am doing to promote the site is working - or if I need to do more & different.

Well, as to your second question, I couldn't answer that - but hopefully other Smug pros will say what they think, and maybe you'll get a better idea :D

Yeah, S, M, L, O hits are people viewing your images. The other sizes are thumbs, right - so they're taking a serious look if they are using the larger sizes.
    Stats Page wrote:
    Stats details:

These stats represent "real" hits only, not cached hits. Chances are good that a high percentage of these "hits" are unique photo viewings, since the vast majority of web browsers will cache the images.

Every time someone views one of your photos, at a specific size, for the first time, a "hit" is logged, and you see that statistic here. Every time they come back and view that photo, their view is NOT logged a 2nd, 3rd, etc time.

When they view a different SIZE of that same photo, though, another "hit" is logged, again, once only. So someone who sees your "thumbnail" and then also sees your "Medium" sized photo will create 2 "hits", hence the way the graph breaks down your stats.

The most important numbers are probably those for Medium, Large, and Original, since that indicates how many people looked at your larger photos after seeing thumbnails (so-called "conversion ratio"), but that's really entirely up to you.

Of course, linking directly to large photos on eBay, a message forum, or in an email will dramatically skew the ratio, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006

Total for all Galleries: "October"
    statsgraph.mg?tiny=49302&thumb=2432&small=1066&medium=11101&large=3693&original=440Hits: 68034 C. Ratio: ~31% Bytes: 2.1 GB
    Thanks
    Michael

Wow.. I think that is great that you have so many hits. ..and congrats on the sale. Feels pretty cool huh?

I seem to land somewhere between 40,000 and I 60,000 for most months. However, this month it looks like I might break 100,000! wings.gif

I take them with a grain of salt, but I like to see big numbers and really like to look at them. The photos viewed number, on the control panel is nice as well. It shows the total number of pics loaded at least larger than the thumbs. I think how many photos purchased is the real tale though. thumb.gif

Another great tool is statcounter (www.statcounter.com) as that tells you page loads and can track quite a bit of user trends, popular pages etc as well where your viewers are... Another one is google analytics which I haven't yet tried, but I do have the invite so I can set it up.

good luck,
    jww