Still trying

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited October 21, 2006 in People
Here is a series of photos I just took......

The set up:
1 softbox light 500w
1 "on-camera" flash 580ex

If I post this right....hopefully you will see the pics and be able to access the exif info.
The first 2 shots...I DID NOT have my flash on...just 1 softbox light

The rest of them, I adjust different settings on my camera and play around.

I am basically asking for advice or for anyone to guide me as to what I can improve on.
Thank you very much,
Heather

Medium
newexif.mg?ImageID=103573783

Medium
newexif.mg?ImageID=103573716

Medium
newexif.mg?ImageID=103573621

Medium
newexif.mg?ImageID=103573578

Medium
newexif.mg?ImageID=103573465

Medium
newexif.mg?ImageID=103573445

Once again, thank you for ANY advice (just please don't tell me to give it up :D)

Comments

• Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    So sorry...I put this in the wrong forum AND the pics didn't even show up!!

UGH:pissed!!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Heather, I moved it for you.

You linked to the pages, not to the images.

Use nickname.smugmug.com/photos/12345678-L.jpg instead of
    nickname.smugmug.com/gallery/12345678/1/12345678-L.jpg thumb.gif

More info
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Heather, I moved it for you.

You linked to the pages, not to the images.

Use nickname.smugmug.com/photos/12345678-L.jpg instead of
    nickname.smugmug.com/gallery/12345678/1/12345678-L.jpg thumb.gif

More info

thumb.gif....I am working on it now. Thanks
    edited October 18, 2006
    Okay....now I think I got it!!

103573783-M.jpg
    newexif.mg?ImageID=103573783

103573510-M.jpg
    newexif.mg?ImageID=103573510

103573578-M.jpg
    newexif.mg?ImageID=103573578

103573465-M.jpg
    newexif.mg?ImageID=103573465

103573445-M.jpg
    newexif.mg?ImageID=103573445

103573621-M.jpg
    newexif.mg?ImageID=103573621

Thank you for taking the time.....
    Heather
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Hi Heather,
    Your daughter very photogenic and I think the shots are great! clap.gif

I'm new to this too but fwiw I have a few comments.
    I think the lighting is a little flat, how did you position & power the lights?

You've partially cut off her limbs in 3/4 of the shots, It's a little distracting. I think it would be better if they were either in or out of the frame.

DOF is too shallow or maybe focused on the wrong eye in shot 5, what aperture did you shoot it at.

Great sots all the same thumb.gif
    edited October 18, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    Hi Heather,
    Your daughter very photogenic and I think the shots are great! clap.gif

I'm new to this too but fwiw I have a few comments.
    I think the lighting is a little flat, how did you position & power the lights?

You've partially cut off her limbs in 3/4 of the shots, It's a little distracting. I think it would be better if they were either in or out of the frame.

DOF is too shallow or maybe focused on the wrong eye in shot 5, what aperture did you shoot it at.

Great sots all the same thumb.gif

Right....flat, that's what I think too! Her limbs cut off are on purpose from me cropping......I do not normally do that, but I was trying to get close to her eyes so I could check the focus. I did notice the wrong eye was in focus.

As for my lighting.....
    My softbox is at full power (not adjustable) 500w continuous
    My flash (on camera) 580ex with a Lightsphere on it.

Softbox was placed about 2 feet away from her and my flash was bounced from ceiling.

I am trying to play around with apeture settings and ISO speeds and I can not figure out which one is working the best (if any)......

thanks for the comments....
    Heather
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    No real comments on lighting (they are a little flat, but not really bad to my untrained eye), but your daughter is precious! There are some cute shots here!
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    As for my lighting.....
    My softbox is at full power (not adjustable) 500w continuous
    My flash (on camera) 580ex with a Lightsphere on it.

Ahh its a continuous light, so how are you metering the shot and how have you got the flash and camera set up? Your exif info would be very useful. I'm wondering if the flash is washing out the shadows.
    edited October 19, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    Ahh its a continuous light, so how are you metering the shot and how have you got the flash and camera set up? Your exif info would be very useful. I'm wondering if the flash is washing out the shadows.

Okay...I tried to put the exif info on witht he images but I must have done it wrong......so if you go to this gallery

http://www.barefootandnatural.smugmug.com/gallery/1170083

those pics withthe exif is there. Like I said....I was changing the setting on my camera to see which settings would be best.

Thank you for taking the time respond and advise!!
    Heather
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    Yep, that's what's happening. You can see the shadows showing up in the last one really nicely. The rest of them, it appears the shadows were filled a little too well by the flash.

But, all that aside, these are great shots of a very precious looking young lady. I'll bet you're having so much fun!! I wonder how much fun she is having though!!rolleyes1.gif

So, are you having fun with our 580? Mine arrives TODAY!!
    edited October 19, 2006
    Yep, that's what's happening. You can see the shadows showing up in the last one really nicely. The rest of them, it appears the shadows were filled a little too well by the flash.

But, all that aside, these are great shots of a very precious looking young lady. I'll bet you're having so much fun!! I wonder how much fun she is having though!!rolleyes1.gif

So, are you having fun with our 580? Mine arrives TODAY!!

I am having lots o' fun with my flash!! My kids are too (believe it or not)
    Lori (my blonde) doesn't generally like to smile at the camera, so i get what I get! My son (joey) likes to squint all the time so he is a bit of a challenge.
    My other daughter Kristyn (waiting for her to get home from school for some "snap action") likes to make silly crazy faces.
    They are all hams in their own way and never fight with me on taking snapshots!!

It keeps the Grandparents happy too because they get LOTS of photos of their precious grandbabies!!!

BTW, how did the B&G like their wedding portraits? Got other one booked yet?rolleyes1.gif

Oh ya......should I take the flash down a bit so it's not so harsh?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Cute daughter you have there Heather! Don't give up...it's what all of us have to go through to find what works and what doesn't!!! I have been playing around with my 580 getting ready to shoot some shots of my niece. Have you tried bracketing your shots for different exposures? It's really frustrating when you know what you want to achieve, but can't quite figure out the easiest way to get there! I'm considering starting a small album of shots (that work!) and the exif posted on each one so I can sort of "flip" through it and find where I need to be to get the shot I want. I have a difficult time keeping all of this info in my head and until I shoot more often, I probably won't be able to recall it all! Also frustrating for me, is the balance between aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. rolleyes1.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I'm considering starting a small album of shots (that work!) and the exif posted on each one so I can sort of "flip" through it and find where I need to be to get the shot I want. I have a difficult time keeping all of this info in my head and until I shoot more often, I probably won't be able to recall it all! Also frustrating for me, is the balance between aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. rolleyes1.gif

this is a really good idea saurora, I may just steal it from you!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited October 19, 2006

BTW, how did the B&G like their wedding portraits? Got other one booked yet?rolleyes1.gif

Oh ya......should I take the flash down a bit so it's not so harsh?
    RE: THe B&G question - sent you some e-mail rather than hi-jack this thread.

As for the flash. Since you are using it for fill (not the primary light source) it might be a good idea to experiment by turning it down a bit and see what you get. I would think (and I'm guessing here) something between -2/3 and -1 1/3 FEC would work nicely.
    edited October 20, 2006
    I just wanted to add a couple more. I THINK I am getting the hang of it....with photoshop help too :)

What do you think?
    I think the 2nd one has a blue cast to it....but I have looked at so many that colors are "blending" to me.
    Thanks for looking!

103980069-M.jpg

103980012-M.jpg
    edited October 20, 2006
    I just wanted to add a couple more. I THINK I am getting the hang of it....with photoshop help too :)

What do you think?
    I think the 2nd one has a blue cast to it....but I have looked at so many that colors are "blending" to me.
    Thanks for looking!
    103980012-S.jpg
    Popped this one into Photoshop just to be sure 'cause my eyes ain't what they used to be. What you have is magenta cast to her face. Her should colors look good. It's almost like you have two different light sources going here. How close was the flash on this exposure? If you were very close, that might account for what I see as being two light sources.

The following may sound partonizing. If so, I truely aplogize - I mean only to be helpful. Do you have a WB card? Or just a white sheet of paper. Take a picture of that under your lighting conditions, from a reasonable distance. Pop that into PS and see what your get for RGB values. They should all be pretty close to the same values.
    edited October 21, 2006
    I do have two light sources...... My flash and the softbox.

I will try to check the white balance with piece of paper. I was doing it with the white backdrop, by following what my camera instructions said to do to get my custom white balance, but it always seemed to be off (blue).

I am seriously thinking about doing what others have said and taking my flash off the camera and using it as a slave.....but with money being and issue, I have to buy the stand, the cord, another umbrella....blah blah blah......so i was trying to work with what I have.

I do bounce my flash though.....it is not pointed directly at her face and I do have a diffuser on it (Lightsphere).

All these settings are just giving me a major headache and I am just tired of seeing completely diiferent colors while my settings stay them same!!

I will keep trying......I know it will work one of these days!!

Thanks Scott for your help
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    I like the composition on your last two shots.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 21, 2006

What do you think?
    Thanks for looking!

103980012-M.jpg

as scott said, two different light sources-

or some makeup-

anyway, my take on it, not being able to reconcile the two colors:

104155747-L.jpg

will take this down if you do not want-