Options

Gallery Discount?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 20, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I got a call today. A lady told me that her customer, some bank with HQ in LA, found some of my pictures on the Net and would like to purchase one or few for their offices.
Then she asked if I offer "gallery discount".
I was at lunch, so we agreed to talk later...
In the mean time, I would like to ask you guys: what's the gallery discount, how big it normally is and why shall I give it at all? :dunno
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I got a call today. A lady told me that her customer, some bank with HQ in LA, found some of my pictures on the Net and would like to purchase one or few for their offices.
    Then she asked if I offer "gallery discount".
    I was at lunch, so we agreed to talk later...
    In the mean time, I would like to ask you guys: what's the gallery discount, how big it normally is and why shall I give it at all? ne_nau.gif

I think what she is reffering to the commision's galleries usually charge. She want's to know what kinda money she can make from buying the photo from you and selling it to her client.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    Gary,
    I think what she is reffering to the commision's galleries usually charge. She want's to know what kinda money she can make from buying the photo from you and selling it to her client.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

So, this is kinda "finder's fee"? Cause that client definitely can puchase the print right off my SM page directly.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:

So, this is kinda "finder's fee"? Cause that client definitely can puchase the print right off my SM page directly.

If you offer her a decent break where she can make some profit, she may (hopefully) bring you more business. Does she run a gallery herself? Maybe she would display some of your work? mwink.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:

Wealthy people, and companies are funny like that. They have buyers to do that stuff like galleries.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2006
    Explain me this, please
    saurora wrote:
    If you offer her a decent break where she can make some profit, she may (hopefully) bring you more business. Does she run a gallery herself? Maybe she would display some of your work? mwink.gif

Assume I sell her a print, say, for $100. She can sell it to her client for, I don't know, $200. Why would she need a meager 10-15% discount on top of her own markup, which is whatever she wants it to be? headscratch.gif

For the record, I don't sell large size prints directly online... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    Any word? Did she buy?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2006
    Not yet
    JimM wrote:
    Any word? Did she buy?

I have no idea how on earth did they find the picture they liked, but it's defintiely not the best I have from the series. In fact, it's rather old 5mp jpeg image from my then-828, so I'm not even sure it'll print nicely on 20x30. headscratch.gif

I told them that I wil compile a gallery for them, so it will be easier for they to make a decision.

To be continued...