Camera Question - Canon S3 IS

mnmsmithmnmsmith Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 20, 2006 in Cameras
Here is my situation, I have one arm due to an accident years ago, so I can't get the real nice hardware like most of you have. The weight and the fact that it requires two hands to hold and make adjustments. I just recently purchased a Canon S3 IS for myself rather than using the Kodak point and shoot my wife loves (it does take nice snapshots). I got to really use it over the weekend during a trip to Michigan and was disappointed in the way the pictures washed out (not sure if that is the right terminology) due to the sun. I'm assuming I need to get some type of lens for outdoor situations so this does not happen. Being a n00b to anything other than a point and shoot, am I on the right track?

Also, is there a better solution for a camera for my situation that the Canon S3 IS? I really wanted something to expand functionality and a higher optical zoom.

Thanks!

Comments

• rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    hey!
    I don't know if you can put different lenses on an S3 IS. I remember doing research on the S2 IS and I'm pretty sure there are no attachments for it. maybe it's updated though...
    something that may help with the washed out look is the white balance. look in the manual to see how to get to the menu where you change it and change it to sunny or something that makes them look better to your eyes.

also, do you have photoshop? if it's washed out, some auto-contrast might help.

hope that helps! let me know!

- rE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    A couple of other suggestions for you: If your camera accepts filters, a polarizing filter can help your shots look less washed-out in bright sunlight. You should try and keep the sun itself out of your shots, and try to shoot with the sun to your back if possible. Strong light sources in the frame can reduce contrast. A lens hood designed for your lens can also help with this. Finally, your camera might be getting fooled by some dark object in the frame, so just try manually turning up the shutter speed or f-stop to let less light in, and check on the LCD until it looks right for that situation.

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • handlebarhandlebar Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    both the canon s2 and s3 will accept a teleconverter it is the same one the model is canon TC-DC58B this is a 1.5x converter and will give you approx. 648mm lens (35mm film equivalent). about $100 not a different lens just a tc.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 20, 2006
    as fred says, you're going to have to watch your exposure in the sun-

you'll need to get control of your exposure by probably going to some type of manual mode where you can adjust your shutter speed for exposure-

the lens has nothing to do with the washing out of the pics (although sometimes filters can help to an extent)-

and as ross suggested, some manipulation with a program like photoshop can help, although nothing beats taking a photo correctly in the first place-

may I ask which arm you have use of? (I do have a reason for asking)-
  • mnmsmithmnmsmith Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I'm kind of new to this, I'm learning and this helps. I was in manual mode, but did nothing to adjust shutter speed, so that is something I will try. I will also toy with the white balance, I had it set to 'auto'. I did order a polarizer and hood yesterday, so I'll play around with that as well. I do have photoshop and have touched it up in there, but like the comment above, I'm trying to take the picture correct so I don't need to fool with PS and you guys are helping me in that respect.

I lost my left arm...

Thanks!