Options

Screw the EULA's and lets talk Vista being a big fat hog

2»

Comments

• Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006

I have spent some time with Ubuntu linux, and expect to completely switch over to it some time early next year.

I've got Ubuntu on my plate also. What's your photo-workflow on Linux?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    I have spent some time with Ubuntu linux, and expect to completely switch over to it some time early next year.

Why are you waiting for the change over???? Is it due to Ubuntu's inability to properly run all functions of PS???

I was looking at Xandros but it will only partially run PS7 but NOT CS......:cry This was from an email from Xandros.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Currently in Ubuntu, I am running bibble for the raw editing, and photoshop 7 for the batch processing of images. I use PS actions to create my galleries, album stuff, etc, so being able to automate some of the processing is important to me. If I can find a substitute for Photoshop that will do that I will be very happy :-).

So part of the work I am doing is just finding the right pieces of software to do what I need. My current investigations are along the lines of slideshow creation. In windows I am using Memories on TV 3. I can't get it to run reliably under wine or crossover office, so I am looking for a native linux app that will do a similar job. I just have not had time to delve into that aspect.

But over the winter, I have some time off and will be able to put it all together, and should be experienced enough with it to start using it 100% for next season without taking a performance hit in how much work I can ouput per week.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    I was looking at Xandros but it will only partially run PS7 but NOT CS......:cry This was from an email from Xandros.

I have Photoshop 7 running pretty flawlessly in Ubuntu. I tried everything and the only thing that nails it is installing it with crossover office. Crossover Office costs 40 bucks and version 6 is just about out, and it also helps support wine development, so it is a win/win.

Try the trial version.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    I have Photoshop 7 running pretty flawlessly in Ubuntu. I tried everything and the only thing that nails it is installing it with crossover office. Crossover Office costs 40 bucks and version 6 is just about out, and it also helps support wine development, so it is a win/win.

Try the trial version.

Crossover Mac is in beta, and I can't get it to work at all. Being in beta there's no support, so I'm going to give it a shot when it hits official release. Hopefully I can get it running "flawlessly", too. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Crossover Mac is in beta, and I can't get it to work at all. Being in beta there's no support, so I'm going to give it a shot when it hits official release. Hopefully I can get it running "flawlessly", too. :D

With crossover, it won't necessarily run any windows app, there are some, such as Photoshop 7 that do, but anything not on their "gold" list might be hit and miss. It really depends on the app.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    With crossover, it won't necessarily run any windows app, there are some, such as Photoshop 7 that do, but anything not on their "gold" list might be hit and miss. It really depends on the app.

I tried both an unsupported app and IE6, the latter just to see if anything at all would work.

ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I tried both an unsupported app and IE6, the latter just to see if anything at all would work.

ne_nau.gif

Hmm, the non-beta version runs IE fine in linux, so maybe its just a beta thing. Try it again when it gets out of beta. I would expect IE6 to run.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 20, 2006
    WOW 2176. I just got my new Dell XPS 410 with the following.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6600 (2.4GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
    4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
    250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    Dell 13 in 1 Media Card Reader
    3.5in Floppy Drive
    48X Combo and 16X DVD+/-RW

Thats just the main stuff total 1,484

I upgrade my video card on my own with 512MB ram for 200.00
    The Inspiron he got is a notebook...so it's gonna be more expensive than a desktop.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Once Vista is released into the wild, and all of the major bugs have been thrashed out... then I'll start to consider it, maybe 2008?

Ha ha ha ha... That's what I did with XP. It was 98se until I finally needed more RAM then I opted for XP pro. About 2 years ago. XP is doing just fine I don't need Vista.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    I want [an OS] that does 3 things....acts as a framework in which to run programs, keeps out or at least does not advertise to security threats, and 3 gets the hell out of my way.
    I didn't realize there were Operating System politics, but if there are, you're certainly in the OS "Republican" camp :D.

(I with the heck that all our favorite apps -- Adobe, are you listening? -- were supported on a commercial-grade/free OS like Solaris ... or second to that, Linux)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Steve, does Vista have emulation modes for legacy software like XP does? I can set up older software on my XP to run as they did in 95, 98, 2000, or XP.
    Don't you still have a bunch of DOS programs from 1988 that you are running lol3.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited November 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Don't you still have a bunch of DOS programs from 1988 that you are running lol3.gif
    M: Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...!!
    Q: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
    M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
    Q: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.
    M: Oh, Thank you very much. Sorry.
    Q: Not at all.
    M: Thank You.
    (Under his breath) Stupid git!!

Will this abuse never end? And to think I ordered Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 Premium only today no less. Isn't that evidence enough that I'm not living back in the 80's? I sure hope it installs well on my WIN3.1 system mwink.gif . I'm thinking of writing a small .BAT file in EDLIN to launch it.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky