Hopeless

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited February 12, 2004 in Cameras
Hi, my name is fish and I'm a photo addict. I just couldn't help myself. I had to buy a 70-200/4 today. Sure, it's not 2.8 and it's not IS, but it's 1/3 the price and half the weight. And oh boy, is it beautiful. I only took a few shots before it got dark tonight, and the color, contrast, and resolution are amazing. Sorry, nothing worth posting at this point.

2323810-L.jpg
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• dakar92dakar92 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2004
    Very nice. I'm sure the 2.8 IS would be great, but it's just so much more than I'm ready to spend at this point. Everything I read about the 4L is very positive. And it seems like a downright bargain. I keep going back and forth between getting the 70-200 4L and the 17-40 4L lens next. You may be the one who helps me decide since you have both. Oh, and then there's that 100mm macro.

Right now I only have a 28-135 IS and I'm having a blast with it, but the white barrels and red rings keep whispering things to me.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2004
    Awful purty fish. thumb.gif
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2004
    dakar92 wrote:
    Very nice. I'm sure the 2.8 IS would be great, but it's just so much more than I'm ready to spend at this point. Everything I read about the 4L is very positive. And it seems like a downright bargain. I keep going back and forth between getting the 70-200 4L and the 17-40 4L lens next. You may be the one who helps me decide since you have both. Oh, and then there's that 100mm macro.
    Hey now...don't blame me! rolleyes1.gif I want them all. iloveyou.gif

To tell the truth, I was planning on buying the cheapo 50/1.8 today, but I ran across Hutchman's post about lenses he's considering and saw the 70-200/4 listed, so I googled the hell out of it. I was amazed to find that not only are its optics considered to be as good as (or better) than the 2.8 IS version, but that it was significantly lighter and 600 bones (as opposed to $1600). That's $100 less than the 17-40/4L, which is a bargain anyway.

So here I am, minding my own bidness, when fishwife sez "what's going on out there?" huh? "there are cops and ambulances." I look out the window and sure enough, at the end of our very quiet court is a cop car and a paramedic van. FW sez "go check it out." Okay Mrs. Kravitz. Needless to say, I had to take the 10D and new white lens with me. Three cop cars, a fire engine, paramedic, and as I was standing out there, an ambulance showed up. Turns out the guy on the corner (laid-off last week) was "in a fight and didn't take care of his injuries." (said the cop I talked to). His ex-wife called the cops and it took a couple of hours before the guy would let them in. I couldn't bring myself to take a pic of the guy being wheeled out on a gurney, but I got this one shortly after. Enhanced in PS.

2324733-M.jpg

Just a little excitement in our quiet burgh.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2004
    Glad to be of service. I guess this means you would recomend it!?!?!?!?

Hutch
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2004
    You'll never cut it in news. mwink.gif I had a reporter eventually quit because he couldn't handle talking to family of victims. Tough biz.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 8, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    Glad to be of service. I guess this means you would recomend it!?!?!?!?
    I've only shot about 20 images so far, but...yes. Certainly. I actually had a few decent shots of doves in our tree this afternoon, but I deleted them and found out that when I delete from the card reader, they don't plonk down in the recycle bin. I'll be more careful next time. One shot was actually okay, with some cropping, but the crispness of the branches, definition of the feathers, and blue smoothness of the sky was fantastic. I'll try to break away from work during the day tomorrow and shoot a few. We're supposed to have spring-like weather (thanks waxy) for most of the week.

One caveat. This lens is perfect for the 10D. I have a feeling it would feel out of balance with a digital rebel. Maybe if you added the battery grip it would even out.
    edited February 8, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    You'll never cut it in news. mwink.gif I had a reporter eventually quit because he couldn't handle talking to family of victims. Tough biz.
    No way, no how. I can only imagine what news photogs go through. Imagine being a photojournalist in Israel covering suicide bombings. I get nightmares just looking at the images, but to think these guys are right there doing it. Unbelievable.
    edited February 9, 2004
    Works good with flash too.

2326938-M.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited February 9, 2004
    fish, fish, fish. what are we going to do?

just to let you know, i got a t-adapter yesterday. now i just have to
    drag the scope out and give it a whirl. prime focus.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 9, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    fish, fish, fish. what are we going to do?

just to let you know, i got a t-adapter yesterday. now i just have to
    drag the scope out and give it a whirl. prime focus.

ian

Hot dog! Let me know when you figger it out.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2004
    Im addicted to being a weirdo & your addicted to spending moolah on camera gear.

We could make money out of this yet mate clap.gif
    edited February 9, 2004
    I think I got the weirdo thing down too. :D

2328286-L.jpg
    edited February 9, 2004
    fish wrote:

]

nod.gifnod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited February 9, 2004
    House finch.
    2333255-M.jpg
    edited February 9, 2004
    Jet finch :D
    edited February 9, 2004
    Squirrel finch (yup...I'm loving this lens!)

2334151-M.jpg
    edited February 10, 2004
    fish wrote:

2328286-L.jpg
    There's no bullet holes in it...
    edited February 10, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hot dog! Let me know when you figger it out.
    It's got some shake to it (no remote and the scope isn't tracking) but this
    seems to be the trick.

2344339-M.jpg

I wonder what the weather at the beach will be like? Do you think I'll get
    any surfer pictures?

Ian
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    I was reading somewhere that one of the problems with photographing the moon is that it moves just fast enought to effect a long exposure.
    edited February 10, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    I was reading somewhere that one of the problems with photographing the moon is that it moves just fast enought to effect a long exposure.
    It moves pretty quickly. My scope can track objects but that takes some set
    up I didn't feel like doing.

Here's something a little more stable.

2344610-M.jpg
  • dakar92dakar92 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hi, my name is fish and I'm a photo addict. I just couldn't help myself. I had to buy a 70-200/4 today.
    Fish,
    I just realized that you can answer one of the questions I've been wondering about this lens: Can you fit it in your M-Rock bag? Or maybe you have so many lenses now that you find a bag that can hold just one lens worthless.
    edited February 12, 2004
    dakar92 wrote:
    Fish,
    I just realized that you can answer one of the questions I've been wondering about this lens: Can you fit it in your M-Rock bag? Or maybe you have so many lenses now that you find a bag that can hold just one lens worthless.
    Yes, it fits in the M-rock. Zip is kinda tight, but the clip cover works fine. I usually only take one lens with me at a time, so it works fine. It also fits in my smallish Lowepro bag in the system case, should I so choose.

The 2.8 would fit in neither.
    edited February 12, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Yes, it fits in the M-rock. Zip is kinda tight, but the clip cover works fine. I usually only take one lens with me at a time, so it works fine. It also fits in my smallish Lowepro bag in the system case, should I so choose.

The 2.8 would fit in neither.

What Lowepro bag d'you have that fits in yer system case? And how much will it hold?
    Sid.
    edited February 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    What Lowepro bag d'you have that fits in yer system case? And how much will it hold?
    Nova 4 AW. Holds all my Canon stuff. Do you need an inventory? rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 12, 2004
    18506_xlrg.jpg

Nice bag. Yes please, inventory would be nice. dSLR, flash, two lenses and...?
    Sid.
    edited February 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Nice bag. Yes please, inventory would be nice. dSLR, flash, two lenses and...?
    10D body, 17-40/4L, 24-85/3.5-4.5, 70-200/4L, 100/2.8, with all of their hoods, 550EX, remote release, a couple of filters, charger, spare battery, camera and flash manuals, and my motorcycle key :)

Fits in the left side full size system case.