Options

Suggestions for next camera upgrade

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited December 25, 2004 in Cameras
Hi,

So far I've been taking pictures with my Canon Powershot G3. It's a great camera but I'm finding my self limited where with my film SLR would have greater control. I'm searching for a new camera but not 100% sure if I should go with a EVF like the Canon Pro 1 or jump to a digital SLR?

Currently I also have a Canon EOS 3 body with 3 lens and a flash, all of that could be used on a 20D DSLR body. The only item that I would like to purchase in addition in case I buy a DSLR would be a wide angle lens, but I can do with my 28mm lens for a while. I am also open to other bodies, but my spending range is under $1,500.

Would there be any reason to stay with a EVF camera? I feel more at home with a SLR and think it's best choice but wanted to hear suggestions from the DGrin group.

Thanks,
Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 19, 2004
    Hi,

So far I've been taking pictures with my Canon Powershot G3. It's a great camera but I'm finding my self limited where with my film SLR would have greater control. I'm searching for a new camera but not 100% sure if I should go with a EVF like the Canon Pro 1 or jump to a digital SLR?

Currently I also have a Canon EOS 3 body with 3 lens and a flash, all of that could be used on a 20D DSLR body. The only item that I would like to purchase in addition in case I buy a DSLR would be a wide angle lens, but I can do with my 28mm lens for a while. I am also open to other bodies, but my spending range is under $1,500.

Would there be any reason to stay with a EVF camera? I feel more at home with a SLR and think it's best choice but wanted to hear suggestions from the DGrin group.

Thanks,
    Rob

The G3, G5 series are great cameras, but the 20D will have a great deal less noise in the images shot at the higher ISOs.

If you already own EOS lenses and have been happy with the EOS 3, I think you will REALLY enjoy the 20D.

I might say that I really don't think it is either or, but which, for which task. I still own and use my G5. It is a great candid camera and is easier to carry all day long than a DSLR and a bag of glass.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    I'm with PF. I still use my little S50 frequently and it makes nice pictures :D

The 20d would certainly be a great addition to your bag.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    Looks like I'm going to keep using my G3 and save my money towards a quality tripod. While I would love to buy the 20D I think I still have much to learn from post processing and overall composing. Items that I can't buy but need to learn.

Thanks again,
    Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    What about the digital Rebel? I have found anything with interchangeable lenses beats the pants off of point and shoot cameras.

There is still a need for the P&S cameras though. It is no fun getting a huge setup assembled for one grab shot in which there will never be time to grab.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    luckyrwe wrote:
    What about the digital Rebel? I have found anything with interchangeable lenses beats the pants off of point and shoot cameras.

There is still a need for the P&S cameras though. It is no fun getting a huge setup assembled for one grab shot in which there will never be time to grab.

I have to disagree lucky. I do not think "anything with interchangeable lenses beats the pants off of P&S cameras" Spend some time looking at the images - particularly the macros, posted by humongous.

I own two DSLRS and I like them a great deal, but for some tasks P&S cameras work quite nicely and every new generation gets closer and closer to the pro caliber images of DSLRs. It is true that larger sensors have less noise and that DSLRs usually have larger sensors but that may even be changing with the Epson digital rangefinder with an APS sized sensor. If it ever comes down in price to a reasonable level it will be a great second camera for my kit. And P&S cameras can be much better for candids than DSLRs with their big lenses that can promote a deer in the headlike look some time.... Just my opinion of course, YMMV.

My Canon G5 when shot in RAW does a very nice job....

This was shot with a 1DMkll
    10146258-L.jpg

This was shot with a G5
    3510458-L.jpg

From the on line display I think it is hard to say one is better image quality than the other. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin