Options

Ice Skating

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited December 23, 2004 in People
Well, it's gloomy and it gets dark really early, but we do have a few compensations here in Boston. One is skating in Larz Anderson Park in Brookline. The rink is in the site of a former very grand mansion that burned down. They always play this really corny music, from the 50s and before.
There is a little rink just for little kids. I sat down on a low bench with my 70-200 and was happy as a clam until it got too dark.

(No retouching here at all. I have the raw versions, but these are in camera jpegs just the way they happened. Probably could use a little of this that and the other...)

12921926-L.jpg

12922036-L.jpg

12922149-L.jpg

12922175-L.jpg

12922441-L.jpg

12922850-L.jpg

12923120-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    1st and last Rutt, yeah...
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    all of them clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif specially first 2nd and all... thanks ..
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    That second one is great
    I like this one alot, what an expression!

12922036-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 19, 2004
    I love the smiles. The last, a beginning skater using the milk crate for
    stability, is priceless.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    2nd and 4th do it for me! Lovely!clap.gif

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    I like em all thumb.gif All of those smiles warmed me up inside :-) Personally, I think they look just fine the way they are. I have to remind myself of this every day but, with post processing, sometimes less is more mwink.gif

Nice work and thanks for sharing them,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    All very wonderful.I cant pick a favorite.They are great just the way they came outthumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    John - These are great! - Did you shoot the 20D or the 1DMkll? And can you share the settings you used for in camera jpg processing? The soft pastels and skin tones seem spot on to me. Lovely!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    John - These are great! - Did you shoot the 20D or the 1DMkll? And can you share the settings you used for in camera jpg processing? The soft pastels and skin tones seem spot on to me. Lovely!
    1Dmkii. 70-200 2.8L. Tone curve: standard. Sharpness: 0. Contrast: 0. Color matrix: standard. WB: auto. Usually I expect to do some color correction. All of these can use just a little, especially for prints. But they are close. The light was great. It was 3:30pm and getting ready to snow and there was some artificial light as well.

Thanks everyone. These were fun to shoot and fun to pick over afterwards. Shooting ice skating is one of my projects this winter. Shooting the children in the little rink was much easier than getting pictures of older people in the big rink.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    I like all of these - they are all really cute. There's just something extra about this one. It makes me think of a christmas card or the december picture in a calendar or something...
    12922175-S.jpg
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    Each one is just adorable! Love the Pink hat/browneyed one!
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Hi John!
    Hey, I've never tried ice skating, but it sure looks like lots of fun!

Your pictures look great! #2 to #4 are simply unbelievable, excellent examples of why they make those 70-200 f/2.8 lenses.

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    rutt...these are great! I particularly like this one, as the clothing seems to subtract about 100 years. I "sepia-ized" it to add to the feeling. I wish it were mine.

bowdown.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson