Best ultra compact camera

drftorresdrftorres Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited October 25, 2006 in Cameras
I have a Canon 20D but would like to buy an ultra compact camera to carry in my pocket. I have seen a few cameras but there are two that I am considering strongly: the Casio Exilim Card EX-S770 and the Sony T10.
Which is best? Any other camera? I would like a small compact camera with over 7 MP, good for in and out, good in low light conditions.
Thanks
Canon 20D

Comments

• StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Sony Ericsson K800 3.2 Mega pixel camera, oh and it makes calls too

Cheers
    Stan
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    well, I guess if you want a phone attached to your camera, you can get the sony ericson thing. but in my opinion, after extensive research on my own - I'd go with the canon powershot sd700 IS or the Fujifilm f30.

they're both great in their own respects. go to cnet.com to see the pros and cons and weigh the options. trust me, after a TON of research, those are the two you need to choose from. I JUST ordered (no kidding, like 45minutes ago) lol - a new lens for 30D so my next purchase will either be one of those camera or a camcorder. hope that helps in your decision.

and when making such decisions, cnet.com is a life saver - use it with all confidence, I trust them completely in my what-to-buy-decisions

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    I just bought a Fuji F30 and love it. Read the in-depth review here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/

I rarely see Phil (think that's his name) carry on and praise a compact camera like he did with the F30. He even gave it the Highly Recommended rating. Oddly enough, he compared it to the SD700 and well....you can read the review and LOOK at the comparisson photos for yourself! :)

Clip from one of the photo tests:

"It doesn't take a professional reviewer to be able to see the superiority of the Super CCD sensor at ISO 800; whereas the Canon result is suitable only for use when you've got no alternative, and for very small prints, the F30 is in an entirely different league. To put things into perspective, the F30 has a similar level of noise (and detail) at ISO 800 to the SD 700 IS at ISO 200. Very, very impressive. "
  • DYancyDYancy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Been lurking for a few days so this will be my first post... but if you already have a Canon 20D why not get something like the Canon A620 since it too uses CF memory cards?

Most (all?) Sonys tend to use Memory Stick media, which also tends to be a little more expensive per MB as compared to CF.

Standardizing on one memory format means less crap to buy. :)
    Canon 30D and some stuff for it :wink
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    using the same media is convenient, but if a camera uses CF cards, it's not going to be ULTRA compact....so using something like XD or SD cards is mandatory for that.

go with the F30...people do continue raving on it.

personally, I like the styling of the sd700 IS....plus, it has IS on it period, so low light is good on it too. comparisons of stuffed animals and color charts is not a GREAT representation of what you'll ACTUALLY be taking.

but look NO further than those two RIGHT THERE.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • handlebarhandlebar Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    First off the canon a620 takes sd cards and it is to large for a carry around. Personally I like both the f30 and the sd700is but would lean toward the sd700is it feels more sturdy and when I am in a deadlock I go with the camera that feels right when I hold it. And to the cameras you were thinking of I have seen pics from the casio and was not impressed can't say anything about the sony but if you do buy it and a year from now want a different ultra compact camera you will probably be investing in new memory cards.
  • drftorresdrftorres Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    What about the Nikon Coolpix S7c.
    Canon 20D
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    The F30 is a great choice. I for one like the wide angle performance you get from the Panasonic/Leica P&S cameras. If this important to you then you will be able to narrow down the field quite a bit. If you want RAW format then you can narrow down even further.

Canon just came out with a wide-angle version of the Digital ELph which looks very interesting....

Check out some examples from the Panasonic FX-01: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44551

Erich
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Casio Exilim Z750
    drftorres wrote:
    I have a Canon 20D but would like to buy an ultra compact camera to carry in my pocket. I have seen a few cameras but there are two that I am considering strongly: the Casio Exilim Card EX-S770 and the Sony T10.
    Which is best? Any other camera? I would like a small compact camera with over 7 MP, good for in and out, good in low light conditions.
    Thanks

I bought the Casio Exilim Z750 last year after extensive research, and I couldn't be happier with the performance and ease of use. It also like the simplicity of the menu system for accessing advanced features like manual exposure, manual focus, manual WB, etc. Picture quality at low ISO is excellent and, surprisingly, rivals DSLR quality. It's extremely small and light. I just can't say enought good things about this camera. You can also see a review and lots of usage tips at http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm, who also liked this camera.

My second choice was the equivalent Canon model (can't remember exactly which one). It looked good on paper but, since I don't have it, I can't comment on it's handling and performance.
  • Mickey57Mickey57 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    I own the Fuji F30 and love it. Please see the thread in this section on the F30. There are some pictures from myself as well as others that own it.
    Dan
    Mickey57
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    Well first off scratch the Casio off the list, they have the worst lenses, my friend purchased one and her lens broke 3 times, she had send back 3 times within the first 5 months. Sony T10 is definitely a good choice as well as the sd700is, you can prolly find them pretty cheap now that theyve came out with the sd800is and sd900. Personally I think if you go with a Canon or Sony you won't go wrong.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • ramsingaramramsingaram Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2006
    I used to own the SD200, my friend dropped it and that was the end of it. I now have the Casio EX-Z750 and am very happy with it. Not as compact as the SD series, but IMO much nicer to use than the Canon. Awesome battery performance as well.

Highly recommend it.
  • wlrivwlriv Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    i have the canon sd30 for everyday / carry around purposes. feel free to check out my gallery for the image quality. i have been very impressed. the only negative comment is that the flash is a little underpowered, but with the right settings, it has proven to be sufficent.