Options

Lulu calendar limitations

SpeedFreakSpeedFreak Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 22, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey all...
Want to save fellow Smugmugers the same frustration I have suffered with Lulu trying to do a 2007 Calendar.
Mine used the same images seen on my home page slideshow, landscapes and seascapes with lots of open sky and areas of smooth color.
It seems Lulu can not print these without streaking (and the telltale roller mark I've seen in another Lulu thread).
To quote: "It seems that photos with blue skies in them print with some level of streaking, it is a limitation of our printer." In other words....sorry charlie.
It was such a nice looking calendar in PDF form, printed on my $99 HP.

www.mttsgallery.com
www.dvwphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    SpeedFreak wrote:
    Hey all...
    Want to save fellow Smugmugers the same frustration I have suffered with Lulu trying to do a 2007 Calendar.
    Mine used the same images seen on my home page slideshow, landscapes and seascapes with lots of open sky and areas of smooth color.
    It seems Lulu can not print these without streaking (and the telltale roller mark I've seen in another Lulu thread).
    To quote: "It seems that photos with blue skies in them print with some level of streaking, it is a limitation of our printer." In other words....sorry charlie.
    It was such a nice looking calendar in PDF form, printed on my $99 HP.

www.mttsgallery.com
    www.dvwphoto.com
    you'll want to soft-proof against their print device... not sure what they are using now. They have a good support forum, did you check it out?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    you'll want to soft-proof against their print device... not sure what they are using now. They have a good support forum, did you check it out?

Talked to their Support Live person and a person named Jennifer who told me that they would be unable to do a satisfactory job with the images that gave them the most trouble.
    I was also disappointed with the apparent streaking caused by the printer roller, especially on the left hand side of each image. The marks were about one-half inch wide and consistant on several images.
    I ordered three calendars after seeing and printing the PDF proof on my own inexpensive printer.
    Like I said, it was a waste of time to do the work-up for the results. The problem was my choice of images, which I happened to like.
    Oh well.....
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    Could you post some of the images that caused the trouble? What did they say was the problem with them?
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    I was thinking of doing a calender for holiday gifts, but this changed my mind.

I'm sure the have produced quality calenders but they do admit they are limited. They probably have costed it out and found the profit margin and probable cost increase to guarantee complete quality across the board isn't viable. I do appreciate that honesty though and will keep them in my links and look for any possible changes in the future and will still consider them for other products.

Thanks for posting your results.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    I hate to follow a Khaos post with a post about Apple, but here goes... mwink.gif

I ordered a calendar through iPhoto, and was very happy with the quality. I don't know if I had the kind of image that would cause problems with lulu, or not, but it was a thing of beauty, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I hate to follow a Khaos post with a post about Apple, but here goes... mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Could you post some of the images that caused the trouble? What did they say was the problem with them?

Sorry to be late responding to this....but the paying job took me away from my computer for a couple of days.

The calendar images (and page) are back on my website and a new calender try is being done through Cafepress, higher price...quality better..???

http://mttsgallery.smugmug.com/gallery/1670426