Options

I have lunch with these blokes every day

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 20, 2004 in Wildlife
.........so today i asked if i could get a shot of them all together. Pete was on his 5th beer & was getting a bit loud & Tom ended up biting Micks antenna again as he always does.

12945768-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    Y'know...
    I had heard that Tom was a bit of an ANTagonist...

MainFragger
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    Ya know mate? I don't think I'd be trying to take anything from the boys.
    They look like serious blokes :eek1

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Ya know mate? I don't think I'd be trying to take anything from the boys.
    They look like serious blokes :eek1

Ian
    They dont take any prisoners..i'll give you the drum. I ALWAYS throw some bread around as i take up my possy under the shadiest tree. They will concentrate on that & leave you alone.

They hurt like all jesus mate !! If they were the size of a pig they would kill you on the spot. I have no idea why they have such a strong poison...then again we have jellyfish here that kill adults in 3 mins ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    Another great macro! Your on a roll lately.

What kind of ants are these? I watched a special on the discovery channel and they showed the top 10 ants in the world. I remember one called the bulldog or something, the the bullet ant. Thats the one that feels like you've been shot when it bites you. It was a cool show, but kinda freaks you out at the same time.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Another great macro! Your on a roll lately.

What kind of ants are these? I watched a special on the discovery channel and they showed the top 10 ants in the world. I remember one called the bulldog or something, the the bullet ant. Thats the one that feels like you've been shot when it bites you. It was a cool show, but kinda freaks you out at the same time.

Dave
    Called green ants (Rhytidoponera metallica ) dave...they are only maybe 4 mm long but they sneak into your overalls & it takes a bit before you know youve been done over. Hard to explain but it is a deep pain more than a sting.

Bull ants are another story altogether...not ants to be fooled with. They were on our farm as a kid.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/Ecowatch/Hymenoptera/formicidae.htm

If you lay down on the ground in the bush for an hour a day...you get to see a lot of small stuff that most people dont.