Caught this strange bug last weekend103428583-M.jpg

And this guy keep looking over the rocks

103428655-M.jpg

A few from last year

25942500-M.jpg

18159853-M.jpg

10175618-M.jpg10175616-M.jpg
Pete W
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    pete w wrote:
    Caught this strange bug last weekend

And this guy keep looking over the rocks
    A few from last year

What is it? odd looking thing isn't it...... is it big? small? walks? crawls? flies? hops? :D

Ive seen your fly images before and those coloured banded eyes are just something else aren't they, almost like your waiting for the TV screen to start the movie rolleyes1.gif kinda like the Test Pattern rolleyes1.gif

Nice series Pete.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Lovely shots, esp like the Deer fly closeups. Would need more of a body shot to ID #1
    Brian V.
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Very nice.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    eek7.gif wow very cool photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Picture #4 is my favorite. Wow what is this creature? Great pictures.
  • pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    I took some shots of flies with banded eyes last year (here in Japan). I still can't work out if the way the banding looks is dependent on your view point.
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Hi Skippy
    Skippy wrote:
    What is it? odd looking thing isn't it...... is it big? small? walks? crawls? flies? hops? :D

Ive seen your fly images before and those colored banded eyes are just something else aren't they, almost like your waiting for the TV screen to start the movie rolleyes1.gif kinda like the Test Pattern rolleyes1.gif

Nice series Pete.......... Skippy (Australia)

Yes those eyes are amazing, these are just how they look when you view them through the viewfinder ( albeit a lot smaller):D I have a full body shot of the strange bug with the protected clear head helmet here:wave.gif

http://www.wraight.smugmug.com/gallery/175902/1/103428603

It Fly's but not very well.

Maybe someone can help identify as i am traveling at this time, the bug was shot in Nevada.headscratch.gif

Thanks for your comments
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited October 23, 2006
    Thanks Brian
    Lovely shots, esp like the Deer fly closeups. Would need more of a body shot to ID #1
    Brian V.

I posted a link to the fly in an earlier post, yes those Dear Flys are great as long as they do not bite you.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Great pictures!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of setup did you use to take those pictures?
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
    edited October 24, 2006
    greenpea
    greenpea wrote:
    Great pictures!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of setup did you use to take those pictures?

I have a combination of set ups here, The Spiders and the last Deer Fly where taken with the 828 and a macro close up lens Canon 250D. The others were all taken with the 20D and 100mm 2.8 lens. Manual focus.

Hope this helps and thanks for asking.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited October 25, 2006
    Hi,
    pug8 wrote:
    I took some shots of flies with banded eyes last year (here in Japan). I still can't work out if the way the banding looks is dependent on your view point.

Yes the angle of the shot and the reflection of the light are very important. Also the eyes come in many shapes and sizes so finding the right one took me about 12 months. You have to find a spot that has many deer flys and just keep shooting until the conditions are right. never easy when there are usually mosquito's and other biters around when you do find the right areaeek7.gif

Good luck and post some shots of the flies you did get for us too look at.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited October 29, 2006
    Seneca,
    Seneca wrote:
    Picture #4 is my favorite. Wow what is this creature? Great pictures.

This is a Deer Fly, it has a very bad bite if you get it on a bad day.

Thanks for looking in
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• bigpixbigpix Registered Users Posts: 371 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    wow and wow....... I will keep trying
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    Lake Macquarie NSW Australia
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
    edited October 29, 2006
    Thanks Big Pix
    bigpix wrote:
    wow and wow....... I will keep trying

This took many weeks to get the right shot.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    The mystery bug looks very much like a water bug of some sort to me. It's been a few years since I studied bugs in college, but I'll try to find out what it is.

edit: I think it's a Noctonecta, also called backswimmer or water boatman. I don't know which species though. Apparently it can be found in Nevada, even though it's so dry there. Did you find it anywhere near any type of water?
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Great images!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited November 1, 2006
    Thanks Jen
    JenW wrote:
    The mystery bug looks very much like a water bug of some sort to me. It's been a few years since I studied bugs in college, but I'll try to find out what it is.

edit: I think it's a Noctonecta, also called backswimmer or water boatman. I don't know which species though. Apparently it can be found in Nevada, even though it's so dry there. Did you find it anywhere near any type of water?

No, unless you include the Hot Tub at 102deg:D no water for quite a way.

Thanks for the suggestion though, let me know if you have any other ideas.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    pete w wrote:
    No, unless you include the Hot Tub at 102deg:D no water for quite a way.

Thanks for the suggestion though, let me know if you have any other ideas.

Yeah I figured there wasn't...but compare these two. They sure look a lot alike to me, even down to those long back legs for "rowing..." headscratch.gif

0153-01.jpg
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose