Options

Hot off the press...

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 20, 2004 in Wildlife
Been storms building & collapsing since 1pm...watched maybe 7-8 of them from out & about....all just dry & a bit of wind. This one caught me by surprise as the lightning was in the wrong area. I missed sooo many good shots as i always do.

12950036-M.jpg

12950037-M.jpg

12950038-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    real nice, 'gus! impressive thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    Great lightening shot humy... I've yet to get one...when we get storms like that I tend to get under the bed...eek7.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    Nice shots! I wonder if the building was struck or it just appears that way?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    I love lightning shots and those three are very nicely done. thumb.gif

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    Awesome stuff , can to share settings etc..?
    I've been thinking about picking up a lightning trigger, any experience with those?
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Tks...all 3 shots are the same. I dont even know if these settings are correct but the easiest way to get the shot over a 16 second wait.

You have no idea just how many huge strikes hit whilst the camera was writing to the card after every 16 second exposure !! Murphys law.

Photograph DetailsDate Taken:0000-00-00 00:00:00Date Digitized:0000-00-00 00:00:00Date Modified:0000-00-00 00:00:00Make:OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTDModel: C5050Z Size: 2018x1918 Bytes: 1224966 Aperture: f/8.0 ISO: 64 Focal Length: 7.1mm Exposure Time: 16s (1600/100)JPEG Quality:normalFlash:16Exposure Program:ManualExposure Bias:0ExposureMode:1DigitalZoomRatio:0/100ColorSpace:sRGB
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice shots! I wonder if the building was struck or it just appears that way?

Ian
    No it wasnt ian..that building is only about 800 yards away straight across the river. Those strikes were easily 2-3 miles away.

There were maybe 10 hits & i missed 7 :cry

Its easy to do as lightning will ALWAYS strike the same spot over & over again so you can even zoom on the spot once you see where it is going.

I have watched a lot of lightning & it does hit the same spot.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    ehughes wrote:
    Awesome stuff , can to share settings etc..?
    I've been thinking about picking up a lightning trigger, any experience with those?
    E i just use time exposure of 16 seconds (camera max) & point it at the action. I do put the ISO on 50 (my lowest) to try to get as little noise as possible.

I have a friend that uses a trigger because he shoots with a large format film & it gets rather expensive to miss shots with. Man his stuff is excellent...he has one shot from a hill out of town where you can see it actually hitting the roof of a house !
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    HoooHahhh
    Gus,
    Ya done good ylsuper.gif I'd have been happy with one nice lightning shot, you got a bunch. I hope you were wearing you rubber soled shoes rolleyes1.gif Cameras on tripods make pretty good lightning rods :lol

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Tks steve...some nights i sit & watch several hundred strikes. I have only recently worked out how to shoot them. I used to just use the setting where i took several shots & then wrote to card but no i lengthen the exposure.

When my moment arrives...between my work & passtimes...getting taken by lightning would be a nice clean way to go believe me.