Options

Proof-delay - other options?

SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited October 21, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello,

I'm not a Smugmug person yet, but getting close to making a decision on a shopping cart system.

The proof delay made me think of this - I want to sign my prints before they go to the customer. Is there any way I can have the print physically come to me first so I can "proof" it, sign it and send it along? The shipping costs and logistics would be my problem, of course.

As well as signing it, I usually include a catalog, brochures or whatever in a package when I send a client a photograph. If it came to me I could include all the usual 'stuff'.

Second question - I should just search for this but hopefully someone will throw me a bone - On the shopping cart where the details of the photo are being put in, is *every aspect of this customizable? For example can I turn off the 'crop' option, the 'color' option, only include one size of print as an option, make it available only as a print and not as a birthday cake (or a mug or whatever :D , etc. )

Thanks for the time in answering these. I suspect whether I can get the print first to sign it will be a deal breaker for me, but looking at other cart systems the ones that look as good as Smugmug really cost quite a bit.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    SteveF wrote:
    Hello,

I'm not a Smugmug person yet, but getting close to making a decision on a shopping cart system.

The proof delay made me think of this - I want to sign my prints before they go to the customer. Is there any way I can have the print physically come to me first so I can "proof" it, sign it and send it along? The shipping costs and logistics would be my problem, of course.

As well as signing it, I usually include a catalog, brochures or whatever in a package when I send a client a photograph. If it came to me I could include all the usual 'stuff'.
    You can order and have the items shipped to you directly. But it's not possible to have the client order and have the items stop at your place first, sorry.

Second question - I should just search for this but hopefully someone will throw me a bone - On the shopping cart where the details of the photo are being put in, is *every aspect of this customizable? For example can I turn off the 'crop' option, the 'color' option, only include one size of print as an option, make it available only as a print and not as a birthday cake (or a mug or whatever :D , etc. )
    It's not possible to customize the crop. You can default the gallery to true or auto.

Nice hearing from you, Steve. Holler back with any questions!
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You can order and have the items shipped to you directly. But it's not possible to have the client order and have the items stop at your place first, sorry.
    It's not possible to customize the crop. You can default the gallery to true or auto.

Nice hearing from you, Steve. Holler back with any questions!

Hello,

Nice to hear from you too Andy. I found a newer CZ21 on a trip to Prague and so ended up selling the original you sold to me, but still appreciate your 'understanding' nature in selling it to me.

Well maybe a feature request then. The package that I send now looks something like a Lands End package when the customer gets it. There is the print, some marketing materials (brochure, flyer, etc), a coupon to try to draw them back and a nice long letter with some mushy stuff about all the trouble I went through to make the photograph.

Now I'm selling "fine-art" photographs not not doing large volume portraits, so maybe this kind of feature isn't something most SM users would need. But from my point of view just sending a print in a box without all the other stuff is just throwing away an opportunity to get started on future sales, either with the individual or their friends. I don't have any hard statistics but am convinced this has generated sales for me.

Maybe SM could even print that stuff as a package and throw it in for me? (I know that isn't an option now, just an idea.)

anyway, take it easy
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    SteveF wrote:
    Hello,

Nice to hear from you too Andy. I found a newer CZ21 on a trip to Prague and so ended up selling the original you sold to me, but still appreciate your 'understanding' nature in selling it to me.

lol3.gif and I (re)bought another - not long after selling that one to you! It was brand new, never used. How about that, eh? I love it, still.

Thanks for the feature request!