Options

Shenendoah National Park

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 8, 2006 in Journeys
I got a call last week, from our good friend Marc Muench "would you like to come to the Shenendoah National Park with me?" Well, that took me about 1.3 seconds to say "you bet!" :lol3 Marc had an assignment, capture the deforestation of the Hemlock Trees caused by the Wooly Adelgid.

I was to meet Marc at the airport outside of Baltimore, so naturally I stopped at the harbor first - I figured he wouldn't mind waiting :rofl

(previously posted in "Field & Street" forum)
104175836-L-1.jpg

The next morning, and throughout the whole first day, we dodged rain quite a bit. Still, it made for some good shooting ops, if one were patient enough. The aforementioned Hemlock deforestation:

104175786-L.jpg104175749-L.jpg

Skyline Drive is the centerpiece of Shenendoah National Park. About every mile or so, there's a gorgeous vista. You can't go wrong stopping at each one!

104176228-L.jpg

The wildlife we saw was of the tame ungulate variety, though I did manage to capture a "two-headed" Deer :wink

104175318-L.jpg104175873-L.jpg

There's a meadow near the highest elevation - appropriately called, "Big Meadows"
104214409-L.jpg

104177040-L-1.jpg

The forests are awash with light and color.

104176554-L.jpg104176544-L.jpg

There are many hikes to do, some short-ish, and others can be nearly a whole day. Take your pick :D

104176829-L.jpg

On the way out of the park, you are treated to some gorgeous Virginia farm country:

104176264-L.jpg

104176751-L.jpg

I'm putting together some material for the techniques forum, after my many conversations with Marc this past week. Stay tuned! Thanks for looking :D

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Hey Andy! Can you hear me hootin' and hollerin' my approval??? wings.gif Wow...these are stunning! The first shot is one of the best I think I've ever seen you do, but the rest aren't too shabby! Love the Big Meadows lone tree. What a gorgeous area and what a shame about the deforestation of the trees. Speaking of trees, the hand-held leaf is so cool. I would never have thought up that one! I'm looking forward to your techniques forum material. :saurora
  • Options
    MHughesMHughes Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Those are beautiful pictures, I love the harbour and the mountain shots...That leaf shot was one of my favorites..clap.gif I want to go there next time...
    [size=-1][/size] "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." -Diane Arbus-
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Great Stuff Andy, I have to agree with my wife as much as is pains me mwink.gif The shot of the leaf really caught my eye... thumb.gifthumb

Sounds like it was a fun trip...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited October 21, 2006
    I'm a fan of the Big Meadow shot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    The leaf
    too way cool! I've got to "lift" that idea... liked the others too.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 21, 2006
    Now that you've checked the 2 headed deer off the list all that's really left is the elusive jackalope.

Nice pics.
  • Options
    DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    wow BEAUTIFUL!

any way we can get a high res version of the big meadows with the sun shinning through the trees? i want it as my desktop background ahah
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 22, 2006
    Nice stuff Andy thumb.gif We drove through and camped in Shenandoah this summer. It was by far our favorite stop on the road trip.

Your big meadow show was much nicer (and the fall color is really cool)... but what a cool spot!

79085696-S.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    The 'Big Meadow' shot is simply gorgeous. The whole series makes me want to go there.

Lee
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Beautiful shots, every last one of them. My hat's off to you.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    wow, I don't think I have seen much of your work before this... but... im speachless. every shot is just so beautiful... clap.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Cool stuff, Andy!
    Get to a nice place, and shoot with Marc, too:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Just beautiful Andy.. love the black and white and the leaf especially. I'm going through the valley next week wings.gif I'm now INSPIRED cos of you sweetie. Bet you had fun.
    Lynn
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 23, 2006
    Lovely shots Andy. I really liked your sunset on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The shot of the leaf sounds like something Marc taught us last spring at Zion.

I find myself shooting sunbursts frequently now also. Nicely done.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Is that really Big Meadows?
    I had no idea it could look so beautiful.

I like them all, but especially Big Meadows and the leaf.
    -grannyrobin
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    104176554-L.jpg

bowdown.gif

Jawdropping series. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    I love the black and white one with the light behind the tree. I'm wondering if you used a star filter to get those great rays. The leaf is cool too. And, the harbor shot is stunning. Gosh, they are all great, but those are just my favorites. Enjoyed the travelog; make me want to go there.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog