"Prayer"

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 22, 2006 in People
For some reason I decided to try the "photo-realistic line drawing technique" described by Deke McClelland in his "Deke Space" column in April/May and June issues of Photoshop User magazine.

The recipe includes about a dozen of not-so-very-trivial steps, and since it's also a magazine article, I don't feel like violating his copyright by redescribing them. Yet the technique seems rather interesting, so I would recommend to get a hold of those two issues and play with it.

It took me a while before I figured out the "essense" and came out with the specific set of parameters that worked for my particular image.
But I liked the end result. :-)

So, without further ado, please welcome:

A prayer:

104345212-L.jpg

And, in case you were curious what the original looked like:

75121749-M.jpg

Enjoy photography as art!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    An interesting rendition and you have done it well. I like it when photography does not stay in a "box". Creativity starts when the boundries are broken and a fresh approach is tried.
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Orv,
    OrvSal wrote:
    An interesting rendition and you have done it well. I like it when photography does not stay in a "box". Creativity starts when the boundries are broken and a fresh approach is tried.
    Thanks, appreciate it! thumb.gif
    edited October 22, 2006
    Man, am I having a blast with this!
    Nikolai wrote:
    For some reason I decided to try the "photo-realistic line drawing technique" described by Deke McClelland in his "Deke Space" column in April/May and June issues of Photoshop User magazine.

As Deke promised in his article, once you get your hands wrapped around this, you're gonna have a field day!rolleyes1.gif
    After playing this whole morning with it I managed to create an action (68 steps!!!) that does most of the dirty work for me.
    Once it's done I only need to tweak the artistically important parts (opacity, manual masking and such).
    In his article Deke says you should be prepared to spend 10-15 minutes only on ONE of those steps (granted, the most boring one).
    With the action I wrote I can go from zero to hero in about 5 min *total* - or so my current experience tells me.

Here's an example of such action-based 5 min work:

Helen:

104532110-L.jpg

Enjoy!

PS. 29+ minutes in queue - what's up with that???
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Here's a tutorial that caught my eye.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 22, 2006
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    Here's a tutorial that caught my eye.

Thanks for the link!thumb.gif

It's slightly different, though. It involves a lot of - rather tedious, I'd say - hand-based manipulations.
    Deke's approach is akin to Dan Margulis' one: (almost) everything's done globally, so no shaky handses are required :-)

I'd say it's like that draganizer action we all had a ball with a year or so ago: at a few points you need to do something manually, but no surgical precision is required.

And check the intricacy of different levels of hatching in this 100% crop:

104598444-O.jpg