First attempt at studio work

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited October 24, 2006 in People
Had my first shoot in a studio yesterday what a blast. Could you tell me if these look ok on your monitor for colour etc.
C+C welcome

1 Cheryl
104220301-M.jpg

104220302-M.jpg

104403213-M.jpg

4 Lisa
104403200-M.jpg

104403219-M.jpg

104403231-M.jpg

104220329-M.jpg

104220331-M.jpg

104220330-M.jpg

104220316-M.jpg

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Your colorbalance is off on alot of them, so use a curve for color & contrast!

Owen
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Your colorbalance is off on alot of them, so use a curve for color & contrast!

Owen

Thank's Owen, i only have Elements 4, how would i go about it not to good on the computer side
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    The first 5 have a serious green color cast to them, kinda like one used to get with daylight film shot under florescent lighting, but not that strong.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Your white balance seems all over the place. The one advantage you have in the studio should be total control in your white balance. I assume you used auto WB in these. Invest in a grey card for your studio shots. Take your first shot with the model holding the card and set you WB manually.

I do like some of your poses. If these were shot in raw, you should be able to salvage them.
    edited October 22, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Your white balance seems all over the place. The one advantage you have in the studio should be total control in your white balance. I assume you used auto WB in these. Invest in a grey card for your studio shots. Take your first shot with the model holding the card and set you WB manually.

I do like some of your poses. If these were shot in raw, you should be able to salvage them.

Yes they were shot in raw on flash WB, i will have another go
    edited October 22, 2006
    Is this one any better

104458804-M.jpg
    edited October 22, 2006
    Re prosessed in ACR auto WB, then auto levels, auto colour correct, usm
    Any better

104466705-M.jpg

104466713-M.jpg

104466716-M.jpg
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    I agree with everyoen on the white balance. You have some really good poses, just the colering is weird. #3 and #4 the lighting looks a little harsh. I really like the crispness in each phot, good job!

The oens you corrected for white balance with auto levels ect.... They still have a blueish tinge to them. They look cold.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
    edited October 22, 2006
    gavin wrote:
    I agree with everyoen on the white balance. You have some really good poses, just the colering is weird. #3 and #4 the lighting looks a little harsh. I really like the crispness in each phot, good job!

The oens you corrected for white balance with auto levels ect.... They still have a blueish tinge to them. They look cold.

Thank's Gavin
    just been talking to my friend and he said keep away from auto it give you a blue cast
    Re PPed
    104471963-M.jpg

If i dont get there soom i will slit my wrists:D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Thank's Gavin
    just been talking to my friend and he said keep away from auto it give you a blue cast
    Re PPed

Don't do anything drastic.

I think you are there with the white balance on this last shot. Now apply it to the others and you should be in good shape.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Thank's Gavin
    Re PPed
    104471963-M.jpg

Too much magenta!
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    great poses.

autocolor will give your pics the "hey look i had my pics done at glamorshots" look rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 23, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Don't do anything drastic.

I think you are there with the white balance on this last shot. Now apply it to the others and you should be in good shape.

Thank's Mitchell
    The computer side lets me down, must book myself on a coarse
    edited October 23, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Too much magenta!

Thank's Owen
    But do you know how to reduce it in Elements 3
    edited October 23, 2006
    gpphotos wrote:
    great poses.

autocolor will give your pics the "hey look i had my pics done at glamorshots" look rolleyes1.gif

Thank's gpthumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 23, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Thank's Owen
    But do you know how to reduce it in Elements 3
    Elements should have a channel mixer, at least, right?

Gary, if you're gonna get serious and take on more work like this, I really think its time to put a full version of Photoshop in the budget. It will make your life easier and keep your photos from being all over the place in color (like they are in this thread so far - some good ones, but man, they span the gammut from red to green to blue!)

That being said, indeed, for studio you need to give up your reliance on auto anything. You aren't chasing footballers or motocrossers. Take your time and do a custom white balance so that all your shots come out the same. Even if its not dead-on right, at least they will all be the same so you can batch adjust later.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 23, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Elements should have a channel mixer, at least, right?

Gary, if you're gonna get serious and take on more work like this, I really think its time to put a full version of Photoshop in the budget. It will make your life easier and keep your photos from being all over the place in color (like they are in this thread so far - some good ones, but man, they span the gammut from red to green to blue!)

That being said, indeed, for studio you need to give up your reliance on auto anything. You aren't chasing footballers or motocrossers. Take your time and do a custom white balance so that all your shots come out the same. Even if its not dead-on right, at least they will all be the same so you can batch adjust later.

Thank's Erik
    I think i have cracked it now, i will post some more later, i don't shoot for money just for fun so far so there is no chance of me paying £499 for CSthumb.gif
    edited October 23, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Thank's Erik
    I think i have cracked it now, i will post some more later, i don't shoot for money just for fun so far so there is no chance of me paying £499 for CSthumb.gif
    Ah, I figured that venturing into the studio meant you were "kickin it up a notch". Carry on. :D
    Erik

edited October 23, 2006
    Here's my new versions, are they better hope so

104779747-M.jpg

104780014-M.jpg

104780030-M.jpg

104779922-M.jpg

104780133-M.jpg
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Much improved. thumb.gif
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited October 23, 2006
    Bravo - those 4 actually look like they were shot in the same place!

What did you end up using in Elements - it could be useful for other people down the road. As you notice, most of us give out Pshop advice, not all of which you could apply.

Let's learn from your ordeal here... ear.gif
    Erik

edited October 23, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Much improved. thumb.gif

Thankyou Tristan
    edited October 23, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Bravo - those 4 actually look like they were shot in the same place!

What did you end up using in Elements - it could be useful for other people down the road. As you notice, most of us give out Pshop advice, not all of which you could apply.

Let's learn from your ordeal here... ear.gif

The bad ones where coverted in Rawshooter 2006 downloaded it last week so i need more practise

Last ones were converted from raw to jpg in Elements 3 using the flash WB even though i had my 10D set on Flash WB for some reason my 1D with the infra red fitted would not set off the flashes maybe a CF i have set coz it works the 580ex then all i did was in levels used the grey dropper on the background because it did not look like i remembered and it changed it to how it looked in the studio so i knew i was close, then i just reduced the red very slightly in colour variations and a bit of USM
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    The last set of your re-PPed photos are georgeous! Very nicely done. And, thanks to your trials, I learned some things for when I get my studio set up (first week in Nov!!!).

Thanks
    edited October 24, 2006
    The last set of your re-PPed photos are georgeous! Very nicely done. And, thanks to your trials, I learned some things for when I get my studio set up (first week in Nov!!!).

Thanks

Thank's Scott much appreciatedthumb.gif
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    Yea other then the awkward casts, I would say try using tighter composition.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.