Options

HELP! 20d problem

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited December 20, 2004 in Cameras
Hi. I am unable to get my camera to power up! Worked perfectly yesterday. I've popped the battery, changed lenses, etc. Does anyone know if there is a reset button or a quick, easy solution, or am I in for a trip to the repair center? Last time I sent a Canon camera in for repair, it was gone for 10 months!

HELP!:wxwax :cry :cry

ann

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    are you sure that

Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi. I am unable to get my camera to power up! Worked perfectly yesterday. I've popped the battery, changed lenses, etc. Does anyone know if there is a reset button or a quick, easy solution, or am I in for a trip to the repair center? Last time I sent a Canon camera in for repair, it was gone for 10 months!

HELP!umph.gif :cry :cry

ann
    • the battery is fully charged?
    • the battery is inserted properly?
    • the battery door is fully closed?
    • the cf card door is fully closed?

Technical Support for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Hey andy -

The battery should have been fully charged as it was used about 1 hour after a full charge. Anyway - 20 minutes in the charger, reinserted into the cam, and I've got power. WHEW!!!!
    clap.gif
    Thanks
    ann1drink.gif
    andy wrote:
    are you sure that

• the battery is fully charged?
    • the battery is inserted properly?
    • the battery door is fully closed?
    • the cf card door is fully closed?
    Technical Support for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey andy -

The battery should have been fully charged as it was used about 1 hour after a full charge. Anyway - 20 minutes in the charger, reinserted into the cam, and I've got power. WHEW!!!!
    clap.gif
    Thanks
    ann1drink.gif

thumb.gif that's good. i've had zero probs with my 20d and i've had it since first week of availability ... it's a performer!

glad yer back in business
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    Glad to hear you fixed it, Ann. My 20D (and 10D) have been absolutely flawless. You might want to get a second battery, so you can always have a full-charged one available.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Glad to hear you fixed it, Ann. My 20D (and 10D) have been absolutely flawless. You might want to get a second battery, so you can always have a full-charged one available.

yes that's a good idea.

i have two, though i've never actually fully depleted one. for ann, and anyone in a cold climate, a 2nd one is really good to have for winter use :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    andy wrote:
    yes that's a good idea.

i have two, though i've never actually fully depleted one. for ann, and anyone in a cold climate, a 2nd one is really good to have for winter use :D

I have the up to date firmware updates in my 20D, and yesterday I experienced one of the lock ups that have been described. umph.gif

The power was on, there was appropriate information in the LCD on top of the camera, but NOTHING would work - not the shutter, the ISO button, or the Menu or Play button.. Battery was shown as fully charged. ne_nau.gif

I removed the battery and waited 5 seconds - reinstalled the same battery and was off to the races again. Hard reboot I guess. I was using a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di on the camera but did not change it either before the lock up or after. Something is going on here. But removing and replacing the battery seems to have corrected everything. clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have the up to date firmware updates in my 20D, and yesterday I experienced one of the lock ups that have been described. umph.gif

The power was on, there was appropriate information in the LCD on top of the camera, but NOTHING would work - not the shutter, the ISO button, or the Menu or Play button.. Battery was shown as fully charged. ne_nau.gif

I removed the battery and waited 5 seconds - reinstalled the same battery and was off to the races again. Hard reboot I guess. I was using a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di on the camera but did not change it either before the lock up or after. Something is going on here. But removing and replacing the battery seems to have corrected everything. clap.gif
    PF,
    I think the 20D's firmware is sort of like Microsoft's Windows 95. When it worked, it worked well. When it got confused, about anything, it hung or froze up :D

I hope 1.05 (or 1.1) fixes your problem. I've been really fortunate. Mine came with 1.05 and with well over 3000 shots and 25+ lens changes (incl the Tamron 28-75), it's had no freezes (knocks on wooden head).

Good luck,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Whew
    Annm,
    Glad to hear that you're back up and running :D Maybe you didn't fully recharge the battery. Or, maybe you didn't have the recharger plugged solidly into the outlet (been there, done that :lol ) Anyhow, no matter what, it's good that all is well now.

See, that's what you get for living at the North Pole rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    fish wrote:

What battery do you have? My second battery ( not canon) works well if it is freshly charged, but if I use the canon battery first, the second battery is dead, If I take it out of the charger and use it it will give me as time as the canon battery ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    PF,
    I think the 20D's firmware is sort of like Microsoft's Windows 95. When it worked, it worked well. When it got confused, about anything, it hung or froze up :D

I hope 1.05 (or 1.1) fixes your problem. I've been really fortunate. Mine came with 1.05 and with well over 3000 shots and 25+ lens changes (incl the Tamron 28-75), it's had no freezes (knocks on wooden head).

Good luck,
    Steve

Steve - I have V 1.0.5 - I thought that was supposed to fix the bug. I do not have 1.1 - Is 1.1 out yet? I did not change a lens or do any thing before this happened. The camera had done its own power down after two minutes like I have it set - When I picked it back up and depressed the shutter half way the top LCD lit up, but that was the only thing showing any sign of life. I had heard about the lock up issue, so I just dropped out the battery for a hard reboot and that seemed to solve the problem - but left me with the desire to understand what transpired. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Steve - I have V 1.0.5 - I thought that was supposed to fix the bug. I do not have 1.1 - Is 1.1 out yet? I did not change a lens or do any thing before this happened. The camera had done its own power down after two minutes like I have it set - When I picked it back up and depressed the shutter half way the top LCD lit up, but that was the only thing showing any sign of life. I had heard about the lock up issue, so I just dropped out the battery for a hard reboot and that seemed to solve the problem - but left me with the desire to understand what transpired. ne_nau.gif
    I've used this camera a lot (>2000 frames) also with out experiencing this before.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Ann McRae wrote:

HELP!umph.gif :cry :cry

ann

Like Andy said - there are several circuits that need to be intact for the whole shabang to light up - You need a battery with power that is making good contact to the contacts in the body. The lens also needs to be seated in the mount properly or things may not function either. Once in a while I have to reseat the lens in the lens mount - I think the lens contacts get slightly greasey or something and fail to intialize with the body and this gums up the works too. This was the first time for me to have a lock up that did not occur after lens change or something.
    ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    PF,
    Here's the link to the download page for V1.1

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html

V1.05 was supposed to fix the "lock up" issue and V1.1 doesn't have any further fixes, that I can see. At least not any further "lock up" fixes.

As for why it happened, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe one of the doors (CF or battery) flexed a bit and lost contact for a split second. That 28-75mm isn't heavy enough to flex at the mount, IMO, even in portrait orientation. As you can see, I'm pretty much at a loss here headscratch.gif Let's just hope it was a one time occurance.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Thank you
    Thanks, all, for your advice.

I have not upgraded firmware as I do not have a card reader yet. So far, I've had 2 lockups that are easily dealt with by popping the battery.
    Yesterday, after I dl'ed my last bunch of soccer shots, I changed lenses. The battery had just been charged and should have had lots of life in it - the symbol indicated so.
    Anyway, popping the battery, changing lenses, etc - none of that worked. Putting the battery on to charge for a few minutes, then trying again, did. So I must have had a problem with charging last time.

Apparently there is also a small round battery somewhere in the camera that can die and need replacing - just FYI, for possible future referrence.
    Anyway, its time to put the full battery in, the 17 - 85mm on, and get set for a week of NO SOCCER! 3 games x 250 photos per each of the last 8 weeks has me craving a change of subject!

Thanks again

ann
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    the clock battery
    i believe the cr2016 lithium battery (for the date/time) lasts about 10 years, ann. for me, that's 20x longer than i've owned any of my dslr bodies lol3.gif