Options

Portraits and Martinis

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited December 20, 2004 in People
I mixed mass quantities of martinis and portrait photography at a party Saturday night. Many many thanks to Shay Stephens for helping me with the lighting setup. This was a two strobe setup with umbrellas and a third on-camera flash used only as a transmitter.

A few samples...

12885991-M-1.jpg

12886181-M.jpg

12887506-M-1.jpg
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    wonderful :D

i'm on an uncalibrated monitor right now but #1 looks spot-on, #2 slightly red (maybe they had a few extra martinis lol3.gif) and #3 could you take the exposure down on the faces maybe a 1/3 stop? dunno if it'll degrade or not.

but - i say again clap.gifclap.gif and esp nice you didn't bongle all those eyeglasses !
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    andy wrote:
    wonderful :D

i'm on an uncalibrated monitor right now but #1 looks spot-on, #2 slightly red (maybe they had a few extra martinis lol3.gif) and #3 could you take the exposure down on the faces maybe a 1/3 stop? dunno if it'll degrade or not.

but - i say again clap.gifclap.gif and esp nice you didn't bongle all those eyeglasses !
    Thanks 1drink.gif

On the redness...uh, yeah. Roger got there sometime early afternoon. Here's a candid of him. Face color is pretty accurate rolleyes1.gif

12886961-M.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    andy wrote:
    #3 could you take the exposure down on the faces maybe a 1/3 stop? dunno if it'll degrade or not.
    I'll work on it a bit. Here it is stopped down about -0.70.

Ew...looks pasty and I've got the sat up pretty high. Need to work on it so the color on my raw conversion is as good as the in-camera processing.

12963797-M.jpg
    esp nice you didn't bongle all those eyeglasses !
    oh man. I never thought about it until I was doing the setup tests and noticed that certain light positions would cause glare so bad that it almost totally obscured their eyes. Something to remember when shooting people who wear glasses. Another funny thing is that most of the glass-wearers wanted to take off their glasses for the portrait. Since I knew I was setup okay, I encouraged them to keep them on.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    Okay...another attempt from RAW.

12964181-M.jpg

hmmm. I think I'm going to work on the jpeg and see what happens. It seems I cannot beat the DIGIC color processing. headscratch.gif

I give up. Looks fine to me. Moving on to something else (adult ADD...oh look, a chicken!)

12964566-M.jpg