Right Click Protection question

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited October 23, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have all my photos set up with right click protection, but want to be able to post these photos on friends blogs, forums, etc. Am I able to allow photos to be shared AND keep them protected? Post my photos on other web pages and keep the from being right clicked saved? I tried changing the settings around different ways and could not get it to work.

Thakns
Michael

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Constructing a direct link when image protection is on
    I have all my photos set up with right click protection, but want to be able to post these photos on friends blogs, forums, etc. Am I able to allow photos to be shared AND keep them protected? Post my photos on other web pages and keep the from being right clicked saved? I tried changing the settings around different ways and could not get it to work.
    To post photos in other web pages or in blogs, you need to do two things:
    1. You need to get the URL directly to the image
    2. You need to make sure external linking is enabled
    Right-click protection makes it more difficult to discover the URL to the image, but once you have the URL, it has nothing to do with whether you can post your images in other web pages. That is only controlled by the external linking setting for the gallery.

To get the URL directly to your image when you have right-click protection enabled, you can temporily turn image protection off and then right click on the image and grab the URL that way.

Or, if you don't want to have to temporarily turn image protection off, here's what you can do.

Select the Smugmug gallery style. Click on the desired thumbnail. That will show an URL like tihs: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/1370421/2/65368855. To get the direct link to that corresponding image, you can just take the front part of that URL plus the back part of that URL plus a size like this:

"http://jfriend.smugmug.com/" + "photos" + "/65368855" + "-M.jpg"

to give you

http://jfriend.smugmug.com/photos/65368855-M.jpg

which is a direct link to this image:
    65368855-M.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Or just go to Page Info and under the media tab are all the
    images on the page.
    AL

Edit: even shows the lightbox image.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Photos are still not right click protected
    I am able to get the photo posted in other forums, but I can still right click and save as - this is what I am trying to avoid. I can only get the right click protection to work while the photos are in Smugmug - once outside I loose right click protection.

Settings are as follows:
    yes - allow external links
    yes - right click protect
    no - share photo links

Is it possible to keep right click protection when photos are posted outside of SM (while photos are being linked to SM)??

Michael
    edited October 23, 2006
    Where is the Page Info - Media Tab??
    I looked everywhere and could not find these?? I am sure they are right under my nose ne_nau.gif

Thanks
    Michael

Allen wrote:
    Or just go to Page Info and under the media tab are all the
    images on the page.
    AL

Edit: even shows the lightbox image.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    I am able to get the photo posted in other forums, but I can still right click and save as - this is what I am trying to avoid. I can only get the right click protection to work while the photos are in Smugmug - once outside I loose right click protection.
    Once the image is out of your SmugMug site (e.g., on a forum)... it is beyond our ability to right-click protect.

I hope this helps!
    edited October 23, 2006
    That's what I needed to know
    Keeps me from spending more time trying to figure out if I can or not!

Thanks,
    Michael

Andy wrote:
    Once the image is out of your SmugMug site (e.g., on a forum)... it is beyond our ability to right-click protect.

I hope this helps!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Tools/Page Info in Firefox
    I looked everywhere and could not find these?? I am sure they are right under my nose ne_nau.gif

Thanks
    Michael

Page Info is at Tools/Page Info in Firefox. I don't know if IE has equivalent information.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question