What about this composition? C&C Welcome!

B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited November 1, 2006 in People
This is a friend of mine in a very open frame, and I wanted to know what you think about its composition, do you like it? do you hate it? thanks

C&C Welcome.

Diego__Xela_Trip_by_Zeoneth.jpg

Byron M.
"... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth

Comments

• Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Hate would be too strong word but I would not consider this the best composition. Turning this image to portrait orientation by cropping very close to the left of the person would still keep the relation between the human and the empty wall but would give the person more emphasis.

If it was full length portrait the same composition may actually work.
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Hate would be too strong word but I would not consider this the best composition. Turning this image to portrait orientation by cropping very close to the left of the person would still keep the relation between the human and the empty wall but would give the person more emphasis.

If it was full length portrait the same composition may actually work.

Thanks Ted, very good comment about the composition, I was pretty confused by it, I mean, I wanted a full-lenght portrait as you said, I wanted my friend to look small in comparison to the blank space, white wall I mean, but can you crop it for me as you described it? Pleeeeeeaaaase :D

Thanks for your help clap.gif
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    I've already commented it so cut & paste my msn's thoughts :D

As I've said, I like it, but too bad for the grass : get some more or avoid it entirely.
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited October 22, 2006
    Something like this (I would also brighten his face but cannot do it at work - no photoshop or time ;-) here)
    Diego__Xela_Trip_by_Zeoneth.jpg
    edited October 22, 2006
    Something like this (I would also brighten his face but cannot do it at work - no photoshop or time ;-) here)

while brightening his face just a little might be useful, I think this new frames "kills" the idea. It may be an interesting frame for something else but here, the genuine idea is dead, I guess ne_nau.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited October 22, 2006
    I guess it all comes down to individual perception. To me this porportion still says small human against large wall.
    edited October 22, 2006
    I guess it all comes down to individual perception. To me this porportion still says small human against large wall.

I agree. :)

But B://'s composition says more, to my opinion ;)
    edited October 27, 2006
    Thank you both of you for your opinions and help, I think the cropping helped to the composition to give to my model a little bit more of detail, even though I didn't like the perspective cause it added too much attention to something I didn't want attention to be put into.
    I have a new frame, that describes better what my main idea was, and his face is a little brighter, hope you like it :D

IMG_4839.jpg

Byron M.
    edited October 28, 2006
    I think your picture is way too small to print correctly here.

Try something like 600 or even 800 pixels wide for your photo ;)
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    It would be better if what he was holding, and his feet, weren't cut off.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    It would be better if what he was holding, and his feet, weren't cut off.

Exactly what I was going to say.

If I were to reshoot this, I'd place in at teh bottom left or right corner with his whole body and skateboard (?) in the photo. Very little below him or to the left (right, depending) with a LOT of white wall above and to the right. I think you have a GREAT idea and I love the pose he's in - it really emphasizes the smallness....
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    This one is definitely better, Byron. Although I never would have thought to compose the shot this way, your results make him looks very small indeed. By centering him in the frame, it gives me a feeling of him being under a microscope, like a bug! A very uncomfortable spot to be in, which his pose helps to reinforce. Even though it breaks the rules, I prefer it centered.
    edited October 28, 2006
    Looking at the picture once again, I'd say the guy's way too small in the picture. The whole image might benefit being a little more about this guy thumb.gif
    edited October 31, 2006
    Ok Antoine this is the 800x600 image for all of you to watch with more detail, sorry it took me so long to post this :D

Diego_Ortiz__s_Redforce_by_Zeoneth.jpg

Thank you for all your comments, they have been pretty helpful, and I just like this frame because it's something you don't see that often.
    I don't like having "comfortable" compositions all the time, sometimes I need to look at something not so pleasant to know I did a good job, visually I mean.
    And I agree about breaking the rules, it is a lot funnier that way mwink.gif

Byron M.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Don't like it all. Sorry you asked. Too much background...not enough person. I focused right on the white background.

Try again would love to see more of your work.

Seneca
    edited November 1, 2006
    Yes, there is definitely too much of the wall, in fact.

Were it a much more interesting wall (paintings or anything else), it might work, but here… it's just a pretty big wall. Besides, it's burnt, so it doesn't say much.

I'm sure you got an idea but I'aint sure you reallly caught it entirely :s