Baby and Daddy--critique it please!

pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited October 26, 2006 in People
I would love some feedback on this shot! I know the baby isn't looking, but other than that, any c&c?

104551063-M.jpg

Comments

• frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    I really like the technical aspects of this photo , I think the B & W conversion , the lighting and sharpness are very nicely done... I'm not sure about the composition though, I think baby not looking is ok, I'm more concerned about Dad ....it feels like Dad is holding baby "away" at arms length.... but thats just my opinion..... others may feel differently clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    I like it too, but I have a different outlook on it this pose.....I think it relates how sometimes fathers are a little scared, nervous, intimadated, the overwhelming responsabilities of fatherhood.

Or that her is just providing a swing for the cute baby!!:D

I like the entire portrait.......I would like to see a tighter crop one too. Maybe one with just baby and fathers fingers as the "basket".

Great job....
    Heather
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    I agree with what Heather said, but my first reaction to the photo was that Dad's pose looked awkward and unnatural. I like his expression and tilt of the head. The baby is fine. Nice conversion. I think if his elbows were more relaxed there would be less tension in the shot.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I agree with what Heather said, but my first reaction to the photo was that Dad's pose looked awkward and unnatural. I like his expression and tilt of the head. The baby is fine. Nice conversion. I think if his elbows were more relaxed there would be less tension in the shot.

Exactly
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    I definitely agree - his pose needs to be different, this makes his arms look awkward and I think holding him much closer to his chest would do better.

- rE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    Got to tell you - would have been better with a shirt on. Can't see the point of no shirt. rolleyes1.gif
    pepper44 wrote:
    I would love some feedback on this shot! I know the baby isn't looking, but other than that, any c&c?

104551063-M.jpg
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    Whoa...I didn't know David Blaine had a child!?
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Well I agree this pose is not working. To me there is a feeling of dittachment on both parts. The dad looks dittached but so does the baby. There is no emotion on either.

I do not have an issue with him not having a shirt, just doesn't work because of the pose. If the pose was meant to be a swing or basket it would be better concieved if the dads arms were extended away from his body- say atleast six inches. Emotion is also very neccessary- both of them would need to be smiling and having some sort of connection.

An idea for you- crop most of the dad out. Crop down to the top of the baby's head and left and right in tight to the dad's arms or jeans.

May be able to salvage something.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    I'd like to see Daddy holding baby up to his chest only. This pose does look awkward and not natural.