Water Strider

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited May 15, 2009 in Holy Macro
At least that's what wikipedia called the bug, I always called it a pond skimmer. Either way, there were a bunch of them on one of the ponds at Kubota Gardens this morning, and lucky me, I had my macro lens and my diopter!

104571910-L.jpg
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    The water strider, also known as the Jesus bug, pond skater, skater, skimmer, water scooter, water skater, water skeeter, water skimmer, or water spider

So many names for too littel bug eek7.gif

Nice shot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    The water strider, also known as the Jesus bug, pond skater, skater, skimmer, water scooter, water skater, water skeeter, water skimmer, or water spider

So many names for too littel bug eek7.gif

Nice shot

Thanks Awais!

I'm usually not so lucky when I try and do macro photography.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    At least that's what wikipedia called the bug, I always called it a pond skimmer. Either way, there were a bunch of them on one of the ponds at Kubota Gardens this morning, and lucky me, I had my macro lens and my diopter!

He looks good standing on the water like he's got all day :D
    Cool reflection in the water too thumb.gif ...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Your shot's better than mine, but have it anyway!
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    Your shot's better than mine, but have it anyway!

Good shot. It's hard to photograph something so small, that's prone to movement, and is on water.

To get my photo I had to put the center column of my tripod in horizontally, set my tripod nearly flat on the ground, and then I was too close even for my 105mm macro lens, so I had to add a diopter to the front of the lens in order to get close enough. People who saw me photographing this must have though I was crazy since I was laying on the ground with my head and camera inches from the water. rolleyes1.gif
    Andrew

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    LOvely captures - yes I called them pond skimmers too :)
    Brian V.