Final home football game

Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited October 28, 2006 in Sports
Last Friday night was the end of the regular season for football. Playoffs
start this week. Soon it will be on to the next challenge - basketball !!

Here are some of this weeks action.

104172285-L.jpg

There's some noise in this one cause it's a pretty big crop.

104572077-L.jpg

104430725-L.jpg

And a celebration after a TD !!!

104172460-L.jpg

Rod

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 23, 2006
    nice shots .. i hope the playoffs are looking good for you guys...
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    Nice captures.

Shots1, 3 and 4 could all use tighter crops - there's a lot of dead space in the images.
  • Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    johng wrote:
    Nice captures.

Shots1, 3 and 4 could all use tighter crops - there's a lot of dead space in the images.

Thanks John....These are not cropped yet. Waiting to see what size the
    parents want before I do any cropping...These were just a quick post.

Rod

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    These are really nice captures. Can you give us some details on your setup. Some of the photos include exif data. It is saying unkown under flash. Are you using one? It looks like you are either shooting manual or shutter priority and maintaining 1/500 sec. What ISO? Any details you're willing to share.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
    edited October 24, 2006
    donek wrote:
    These are really nice captures. Can you give us some details on your setup. Some of the photos include exif data. It is saying unkown under flash. Are you using one? It looks like you are either shooting manual or shutter priority and maintaining 1/500 sec. What ISO? Any details you're willing to share.

I don't mind sharing at all...

A priority
    f2.8
    1/500 - this is as fast as I can get w/flash
    w/SB-600 flash in M mode...set to about 1/4-1/8 power
    Sigma 70-200 2.8
    Nikon d50

They may say unknown because I had to run a couple through Neat Image
    to clean a little noise...

Thanks for the kind words.

Rod

edited October 24, 2006
    Captn14 wrote:
    I don't mind sharing at all...

A priority
    f2.8
    1/500 - this is as fast as I can get w/flash
    w/SB-600 flash in M mode...set to about 1/4-1/8 power
    Sigma 70-200 2.8
    Nikon d50

How are you able to get your flash to sinc up at 1/500. I have a D2H and a D200. Neither allow a flash sinc speed higher than 1/250. I wasn't aware that any of the Nikon bodies supported flash sinc speeds faster than 1/250.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

edited October 25, 2006
    donek wrote:
    How are you able to get your flash to sinc up at 1/500. I have a D2H and a D200. Neither allow a flash sinc speed higher than 1/250. I wasn't aware that any of the Nikon bodies supported flash sinc speeds faster than 1/250.

Well - not sure...Maybe its really not. I am really pretty new at all this and
    not very technically sound yet. I do know that I was getting nothing I could
    keep without flash. Used the flash in fill mode and everything was too bright. But I think that night I was not in matrix metering - which I figured out later.
    It was suggested to try manual mode on flash and reduce power..It worked and I was still able to hold 2.8 @ 1/500...ne_nau.gif

It seems to work. I have gotten great feedback from here and from parents on my pics.

Rod

edited October 25, 2006
    Captn14 wrote:
    Well - not sure...Maybe its really not. I am really pretty new at all this and
    not very technically sound yet. I do know that I was getting nothing I could
    keep without flash. Used the flash in fill mode and everything was too bright. But I think that night I was not in matrix metering - which I figured out later.
    It was suggested to try manual mode on flash and reduce power..It worked and I was still able to hold 2.8 @ 1/500...ne_nau.gif

It seems to work. I have gotten great feedback from here and from parents on my pics.

Sorry to pester you on this, but could you do one last thing to help. If I set either of my bodies to manual 1/500 and f2.8 and then attach the flash in manual mode (or any mode) the shutter speed automatically goes to 1/250 when it is turned on. Could you double check to see if this is happening on your D50?

Never mind. A little digging in the manual yields a setting of 1/250s (Autor FP) that provides a faster than 1/250 shutter speed. Unfortunately, they don't even provide a description of what all that jargon means.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    donek wrote:
    Sorry to pester you on this, but could you do one last thing to help. If I set either of my bodies to manual 1/500 and f2.8 and then attach the flash in manual mode (or any mode) the shutter speed automatically goes to 1/250 when it is turned on. Could you double check to see if this is happening on your D50?

Never mind. A little digging in the manual yields a setting of 1/250s (Autor FP) that provides a faster than 1/250 shutter speed. Unfortunately, they don't even provide a description of what all that jargon means.

i am pretty sure the d50 syncs at 1/500 but it shouldn't matter anyway since the flash is freezing the action

Nice job w/ the flash Rod, your practice has paid off
    The Nikon colors are sure nice especially for nighttime